Rutherford Cross launches search for an in house Tax Manager, reporting to the Head of Treasury & Tax of AGS Airports Limited. The job is to be based at Glasgow Airport.
The Tax Manager will ensure that the tax affairs of the AGS Group are managed in accordance with the AGS Airports Holdings Ltd Group (AGS) Tax Strategy. The role will report to the Head of Treasury & Tax.
The post holder will complete and direct all elements of tax accounting and calculations to ensure accurate tax returns and correct tax payments are made to ensure that the group is tax compliant.
The Tax Manager will also be able to develop strong relationships with other the other Finance and Business functions to work collaboratively across all business functions to enable efficient and accurate tax return preparation and reporting. The candidate must possess excellent technical tax accounting skills, detailed analytical skills and the ability to problem solve. Finally, the candidate must be able to demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
Key stakeholder relationships will include:
- Head of Treasury & Tax
- Chief Financial Officer
- Shareholder Tax Teams in London and Madrid
- Financial Controller
- Head of Business Planning & Analysis
- Board & Audit Committee
- Finance Department
- Business Unit Managers
An overview of the required skills, experience and behaviors is as follows:
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritise
- Strong relationship building skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to understand the business strategy and make commercial decisions
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
AGS pays a range of taxes in the UK, including corporation tax, employment taxes, VAT, Insurance Premium Tax and Business Rates. The post holder will ensure that the company always complies with its tax policy to operate both within the letter and spirit of UK’s tax laws.
- Ensure that the Tax Strategy, Governance framework and delegated authorities is reviewed and presented annually to the Audit Committee and Board for approval.
- Ensure the approved Tax Strategy is published on the Group website as is required by law.
- Ensure that the tax risks are managed to ensure compliance with legal requirements in a manner which ensures accurate payment of tax at the right time and that AGS has certainty in overall tax affairs and avoids unnecessary tax costs and penalties.
- Ensure that the tax risk assessments and controls system are maintained as a component of its overall risk management and internal control framework.
- Manage AGS approach to tax risk against obligations and legal requirements in a manner which ensures the correct amount of tax is paid.
- Ensure that, as part of the Group’s business and commercial operations it seeks to utilise available tax reliefs, incentives and exemptions in line with both the intent and letter of tax legislation.
- Seek external tax advice where necessary in any complex circumstances
- Ensure that AGS maintains a transparent, honest and constructive relationship with HMRC by conducting regular meetings.
- Ensure that all tax returns are completed and filed on time for VAT, Corporation Tax, Withholding Taxes, PAYE settlement Agreements (PSA) P11D’s etc.
- Ensure that inadvertent errors in submissions made to HMRC are fully disclosed as soon as reasonably practicable after they are identified.
- Ensure that sufficient continued professional development is undertaken to ensure that AGS is complying with all current UK tax laws.
- Ensure all the current VAT, Corporation Tax and Employee tax rules are understood and applied correctly within the AGS accounting systems and controls.
- Ensure that AGS is continually ready for any HMRC or internal tax audit and can ensure that there are no tax issues which will result in penalties or unexpected tax cost.
- Work closely with the Shareholder tax teams in London and Madrid to ensure that all information requirements are provided timeously and accurately.
- Continually challenge current thinking and make recommendations on how to optimise business opportunities and minimise risk/cost to the business.
The aviation industry is fast paced and multi-faceted. The pandemic has raised its profile even further, as a result there has never been a more challenging and exciting time to play a key role in the success of AGS Airports Limited. The position of Tax Manager represents a unique and rewarding opportunity for a talented and driven individual.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Previous experience of managing Tax accounting for a significant organisation with proven abilities in accurately managing tax compliance. Or significant corporate tax compliance experience obtained within an accounting firm.
- Qualified CA with appropriate ATII tax qualifications, or CTA.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to effectively problem solve and follow through to resolution
- Significant tax accounting skills to be able to produce tax returns in accordance with HMRC rules.
- Proven experience of dealing successfully with HMRC.
- Commercially astute
- Ability to build strong, open and communicative working relationships across all areas of the business
- High level of working knowledge of MS Office applications, Excel in particular
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral
- Experience of effectively communicating to and interacting with colleagues at all levels, including senior managers
- Ability to effectively organise work and perform well under pressure with minimal supervision
Experience of delivering to tight timetables
- Proven experience of being part of a finance team which has successfully managed through a major financial transaction for example a purchase or a sale or a refinancing activity.
- Proven experience of tax accounting in a company which has been through a significant change programme.
- Experience of being part of a strong effective finance team which has been successful in delivering strong financial controls efficiently and effectively throughout an organisation.
- Experience of working in groups with multiple locations.
- Exposure to working with Boards, Audit Committees and shareholder teams.
The position will offer a competitive salary up to £55,000 depending on experience, a generous pension scheme with employer contributions up to 12%, bonus up to 15%, as well as duty free shopping and free parking at all times.
To discuss in confidence, please contact retained advisor, Amy Peoples on 07494 280 152, or send your CV to amypeoples@rutherford cross.com.