The Weir Group PLC (Weir) is a FTSE 100 global engineering business headquartered in Glasgow. Celebrating its 150th year the company’s global footprint spans more than 60 countries and employs more than 11,000 people.
Significant growth and restructuring both operationally and in terms of its geographical footprint, culminating in the agreed sale of the Oil & Gas division, has enabled the Group’s transformation into a focused premium mining technology business through its Weir Minerals and Weir ESCO divisions. Weir has developed clear strategic initiatives centred around safety, employee satisfaction, inclusion and diversity, and sustainability as well as operational growth.
Weir has reported continually strong revenue and profit growth in recent years. In 2020 the Group reported revenue of £2bn and profit before tax of £255m. These are highly impressive results, especially during an extended period of general economic uncertainty, with Weir well placed to benefit as markets recover. Weir represents a true global success story headquartered in Scotland.
Background to Current Opportunity
Following an internal promotion to a newly created role within the business a vacancy has arisen for the role of Group Governance Team Accountant within the Group Finance Team.
This is an important position within the Group Finance function, with a focus on statutory accounting for Group entities, Group reporting under IFRS, monthly management reporting and governance. The role is highly visible at Group level, requiring an individual of the highest calibre. It will be essential to communicate effectively across the divisions, with the wider finance team, senior business leaders and external audit.
Weir Group represents an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated, qualified accountant to join a dynamic business which has displayed strong revenue and profit progression in recent years and demonstrated resilience against the current Covid-19 dominated backdrop. As one of Scotland’s few listed companies, the opportunity exposes the successful individual to the unique environment of a FTSE 100 plc business and all that it entails.
The position will be responsible for the following key deliverables.
- Preparation of monthly management accounts for non-trading entities
- Ownership of certain areas of the consolidated balance sheet and intercompany elimination process
- Review and analysis of certain costs lines in the consolidated income statement
- Preparation, review, and provision of financial analysis to senior management including the Group Executive and Board
- Involvement in the development of financial reporting systems to support management and statutory reporting
- Involvement in the Group consolidated statutory accounts process at both half and full year end
- Planning for Interim & Annual reporting and development of the reporting template
- Preparation and review of UK subsidiary accounts and review of overseas entities
- Management of annual balance sheet review process and ad-hoc entity reviews
- Contribute to the management of the Group structure
- Liaise with advisers including external auditors and tax advisers
- Any ad-hoc projects across the group team
The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of IFRS and UK GAAP, with experience of statutory and management reporting, ideally as part of a large Group, or via a large firm. The individual will show an understanding of the importance of a strong control environment and be able to demonstrate attention to detail and working to a high level of accuracy.
It is likely that the individual will be CA/ACA qualified and, ideally, will have trained with a Big 4 accountancy practice. Applicants that will be considered will be either making their first move from the profession or already operating in a similar capacity within industry. Certainly, it is essential that candidates display all the required personal characteristics, especially in demonstrating confidence, self-motivation, and an ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels across the business.
In addition to a basic salary up to £50,000 per annum, there is a pension scheme with employer contributions up to 8%, an up to 20% bonus and 35 days holiday inclusive of public holidays
What to do Next:
To find out more or see a full Position Profile, please contact their retained advisor, John Ramsay at Rutherford Cross by emailing [email protected]
Please note that any direct or third party approaches will be sent to Rutherford Cross for review and assessment.