Russwood Ltd is a Scottish supplier of high-quality, sustainable timber flooring, cladding and decking products. Situated in Newtonmore, in the heart of Cairngorm National Park and supplying timber to both the domestic and trade sectors for 30 years, Russwood takes pride in its reputation for quality products and excellent technical expertise, advising its customers on every step of their new build or renovation project. Russwood’s purpose is to help create a more beautiful, sustainable future in the built environment. The company is in a very healthy financial position, enjoying year on year growth, with a turnover of £7.5m for the year ending March 2021 and ambitious plans for further growth.
In 2020 Russwood proudly celebrated three decades in business. In 1990 the company started with a team of six and now employ over 50 staff across two sites, with a 50/50 split on production and office-based staff. The Newtonmore site is home to its sawmill, planning mill and in-house factory coating facility, as well as the head office where the sales, admin and marketing teams are based.
The majority of the employees live within the local villages of Badenoch & Strathspey. Each year Russwood support a number of carefully selected local events and clubs, and while the type of event varies, a key theme linking them is the promotion of health, well-being and sporting development in our local community. As one of the biggest employers in Badenoch and Strathspey, with many of our staff having grown up in the area themselves before raising their own families here, giving back to the community is something close to the hearts of many at Russwood.
The Glasgow office is the base for the specialist Architect Liaison Team as well as members of the Sales and Marketing teams. Through a continuous programme of staff training and support, the business strives to retrain and develop its staff to become experts in their fields. Over the years, Russwood has developed its expertise and experience, always embracing the latest innovations whilst maintaining a solid commitment to quality and service.
Timber is one of the most sustainable building materials and Russwood is fully committed to minimising its environmental impact. The business believes it has a responsibility to its customers, employees and other company stakeholders, to operate as sustainably as possible.
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a highly respected and environmentally conscious business, with ambitious growth plans, where the appointed candidate will play a key role in its journey.
To watch a short video on the Russwood story so far please click here.
Job Title: Financial Planning Analyst
Reports to: Managing Director
Location: Newtonmore, Inverness-shire, OR
Glasgow office with regular visits to the site in Newtonmore
Hybrid working is on offer
Russwood is flourishing as a business and has ambitious plans to capitalize on a buoyant market, by expanding its operation south of the border. The post-holder will improve management information to support commercial decision-making. The post-holder will report directly into the Managing Director. This will be a key role, interacting with numerous stakeholders across the business. Over time there may be potential for the post to develop into a Finance Director position.
The Financial Planning Analyst position is a highly visible role, working closely with the operations of the business, analysing the financial impact of production data. The successful candidate will assess the financial implications of non-financial data such as; throughput, downtime, waste volumes, manpower loads, cost benefits of equipment maintenance and resourcing where the benefits are not financial but will need the financial impact to be calculated. Given the exposure of the post, it is essential that an individual has a strong work ethic, takes responsibility for their duties and has a willingness to understand the key drivers influencing business performance.
This represents an excellent opportunity for a motivated finance professional who wants to work in a growing, family-owned environment and within a company that can provide a firm career platform with good opportunities for personal and professional development.
The Financial Planning Analyst role requires a confident and commercial individual that is comfortable engaging with the wider business at all levels. It is crucial that the post-holder possesses strong relationship building skills. They will need to learn the culture of a close knit, family company, which forms a key role in the local community. Russwood is fully committed to minimising environmental impact, believing the business has a responsibility, to operate as sustainably as possible. It is important that the Financial Planning Analyst buys into this ethos.
The successful candidate will challenge existing processes in a tactful manner, respecting those procedures at present have helped the company on its journey, however in order for the finance department to be a driving force in expansion plans, changes will be needed. Russwood is a fast-growing business and presents a fantastic opportunity for a driven Financial Planning Analyst to develop with the business.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Producing management information to support business-decision making
- Developing strong relationships across the business at all levels
- Presenting to senior stakeholders
- Liaising with external stakeholders in a professional manner, gaining trust and credibility
- A background in manufacturing or other product led business environments would be highly advantageous but not essential
- An accountancy qualification or studying towards an accountancy qualification would be advantageous, albeit an individual with strong financial analysis experience without any professional qualification will also be considered
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly
- Ability to present financial information clearly, concisely and in an engaging manner
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including use of Excel
- Power BI/Data Visualisation experience is highly advantageous
- A knowledge of cost accounting would be advantageous
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to identify business improvement opportunities and drive implementation
- Ability to prioritise and adapt to changing workload effectively
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of accounting standards and developments relevant to the business
- Sage200 and CRM experience is advantageous
Characteristics and Behaviours
- Not afraid to challenge the status quo and evaluate / present alternatives as required
- High levels of drive and personal commitment to achieve success
- Remains calm when under pressure
- Results driven and respect for deadlines
- Anticipates stakeholder needs
- Strong team player
The Financial Planning Analyst is a key role, ensuring that finance has a role in influencing the operations of the business. The Financial Planning Analyst will directly impact budgeting, planning, pricing and strategy processes.
The main duties and responsibilities will involve:
- Challenging on costs and advising commercial colleagues on pricing decisions, working with procurement to ensure price lists are updated in line with any price increases for material
- Compare actual to expected costs, identifying and understanding the reasons for variances and resolving any issues where relevant
- Producing financial forecasts and budgets
- Using a business partnering approach, work closely with Senior Management Team to providing financial support, advice and information to assist budget holders to monitor financial performance, achieve financial objectives and aid decision making
- Identifying metrics and KPIs that are useful for management to measure performance Provision of ad-hoc analysis and review of data from various sources to meet the requirements of the business
- Provision of ad-hoc analysis and review of data from various sources to meet the requirements of the business
- Presentation of monthly financial management accounts in management meetings, understanding the key performance indicators affecting the business
- Review of monthly management accounts to monitor and report financial performance against plans
- Support and interact with the senior management of the company and businesses on a daily basis
Basic Salary: £30,000 - £45,000 per annum, depending on experience
Company Pension: Auto enrolment, employer contribution 4%, employee contribution 5%
Holiday Entitlement: Currently stands at 34 days