Rutherford Cross’ Will Dodds looks back on a successful night at the latest instalment of our ‘Planning Your Career Journey’ Series in Edinburgh; this time in partnership with Heineken.
At our latest PYCJ event in Edinburgh, the room was full of accountants from across Scotland, all looking to get a taste of what it is like to work within the finance team at one of the biggest brand names globally: Heineken.
The speakers for the night included:
- Kathryn McLeod, Head of Finance Off Trade & Marketing and Finance Lead on Sustainability
- Jen Neeson, Strategic Finance Manager
- Sean Paterson, Finance Director, Star Pubs
Kathryn, Jen and Sean all talked through their career decisions to date, gave insight into their learnings along the way and how their roles have developed since joining Heineken. All three have had progressive journeys, and although all coming from differing routes to join the business, they seem aligned to continue to keep the business pushing forward in a highly collaborative way.
There were lots of really good points raised with some common themes sticking out. These included:
- Be passionate about what you are doing/ find something you enjoy
- Be curious about everything by asking lots of questions, and learn from your managers, they are there to help and promote you both technically and from a career perspective
- It is important to believe in yourself
The presentations were concluded with some questions for the panel from the audience, including their biggest achievements to date, an insight into Heineken’s sustainability targets, and what advice they would give their younger selves.
The night came to a close with some networking, where all attendees could enjoy some of Heineken’s latest products and left with individual goodie bags.
Oh, and it turns out, you don’t have to like beer to work at Heineken!
If you would like to hear more about the events Rutherford Cross runs across Edinburgh and Glasgow, or you would like to be a key speaker at future events, please do not hesitate to get in touch: [email protected].