STV is Scotland’s home of news and entertainment, serving audiences with quality content on air, online and on demand.
STV’s broadcast channel, accessible free-to-air on all the main TV platforms in Scotland, reaches over 3 million viewers each month and is home to some of the biggest and most popular shows on television.
The channel’s first-class content includes soaps Emmerdale and Coronation Street, big drama productions, entertainment hits Britain’s Got Talent and I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here, strong home-grown productions, and Scotland's best, most comprehensive and most trusted news service. Flagship news programme STV News at Six, continues to grow its audience share and is Scotland’s most watched news service.
The STV Player is Scotland's leading commercial video on demand service and one of the fastest growing in the UK. Viewers in STV’s broadcast licence areas can enjoy their favourite STV shows live or on demand. Additionally, there is an increasing library of Player-exclusive content – acquired through third party deals and consisting of shows not available through Channel 3 – which is available to viewers for free across the whole of the UK. There is also an ad-free subscription version, STV Player+, which offers an opportunity to watch STV programming without the adverts.
STV Studios is one of the UK’s leading content businesses and is Scotland’s biggest production company. The success of the business has accelerated over the last three years, winning increasing commissions for new returnable series at the same time as securing commissions for existing stalwarts including Catchphrase and Antiques Road Trip. The division is busier than ever with full and varied development slates for the three inhouse labels (Entertainment, Factual and Drama) as well as an increasing family of minority and majority investments across six independent producers. Scripted productions include STV Studios’ critically acclaimed thriller The Victim for BBC One, TV film Elizabeth is Missing and prison drama series Screw for Channel 4, with a second series to be filmed later this year in Glasgow. In June of 2022 STV Group announced a major new 8-part returnable drama series for AppleTV+, Criminal Record, starring Peter Capaldi and Cush Jumbo and produced by Tod Productions and STV Studios. Unscripted formats include Antiques Road Trip, its sister programme, Celebrity Antiques Road Trip for BBC, Celebrity Catchphrase for ITV as well as recent wins Bridge of Lies for BBC and Inside Central Station for BBC Scotland. Through their acquired label, BarefacedTV, they are currently in production for their first streamer commission for Discovery+, Zodiac Island, an astrology-dating based show filming in Greece.
STV Group plc represents a fantastic opportunity to join an iconic Scottish listed company at an exciting time in its growth strategy. The Company has a forward-thinking approach and an inclusive and collaborative culture.
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and equality of opportunity for all. They strongly encourage applications from candidates from all backgrounds, and as a Disability Confident employer, they are committed to offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
Background to the Company
An opportunity has arisen for an ambitious individual to join the business in the role of Group Statutory Reporting & Controls Accountant. This is a key position within the Finance function, with day-to-day responsibility for the statutory accounting and tax compliance processes, as well as supporting the Head of Statutory Reporting on the programme of work in relation to internal financial control and risk management. With regular interaction with senior members of the Finance and broader teams, it is a highly visible role both within and outside the business requiring an individual of the highest calibre.
STV Group plc represents an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated, qualified accountant to join a dynamic business at a relatively early stage of its growth; having displayed strong revenue and profit progression in recent years, with record results in 2021, and demonstrating resilience against the current uncertain economic backdrop. As one of Scotland’s few listed companies, this is a rare opportunity for the successful individual to operate in the unique and changing environment of a plc business.
- Responsible for running the statutory accounts process at both half and full year end, including preparation of the Group consolidation, intercompany eliminations and related items
- Liaise with advisers throughout the process including external auditors, tax advisers and pension scheme actuaries
- Support in the preparation of reporting to the Audit & Risk Committee, including analysis and explanation of the key judgement areas underpinning the Group financial statements
- Preparation of subsidiary accounts
- Assess, report and advise on developments in accounting standards and their implications for the Group, with day-to-day ownership of implementation plans to ensure compliance
Tax Compliance & Planning
- Ownership of the corporation tax compliance process, including preparation of information required by the Group tax advisers and responsibility for tax accounting and cash payments to HMRC
- Preparation of quarterly VAT returns and submission to HMRC
- Day-to-day owner of the relationship with the Group’s tax advisers for both corporation tax and VAT, and with HMRC
- Assess, report and advise on developments in tax regulations and governance and their implications for the Group, with day-to-day ownership of implementation plans to ensure compliance
Internal Controls & Risk Management
- Contribute to the UK SOX readiness programme by working with members of the Finance team to support them in process documentation
- Prepare and maintain process maps and documentation for the statutory reporting and tax compliance, as well as deliver changes and improvements required to ensure compliance with UK Corporate Governance code
- Support lines manager in their review of quarterly risk registers, working with Enabling heads of function on implementation of any mitigating controls
- Maintain the integrity of Company ledgers and balance sheets through oversight of key financial controls, including balance sheet reconciliations for areas of own responsibility
The position incorporates a blend of statutory reporting, tax compliance and planning; and internal controls and governance, and therefore requires an individual with strong technical and interpersonal skills. Experience of working in the media sector, although useful, is not a specific criterion. However, it is likely the individual will come from a large firm/business background where they will be experienced in the reporting, system and control requirements of blue chip companies.
The technical nature of the role requires an individual who is CA/ACA qualified and, ideally, has trained with a Big 4 accountancy practice. Applicants will be either making their first move from the profession or already operating in a similar capacity within industry. Certainly, it is essential that the individual displays confidence, self-motivation and an ability to communicate with stakeholders from across the business.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Degree educated with a track record of high academic achievement
- CA/ACA qualified with a minimum of two years’ post-qualification experience
- Significant experience with statutory disclosures, plc reporting and other compliance requirements
- Strong interpersonal skills, especially when interfacing with senior management; whether within or outside of finance, or with external stakeholders
- Self-motivated and capable of developing the current role over time
- Creative thinker with excellent problem solving and analytical abilities
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Work effectively and autonomously to engage and influence others
- Expert level use of Microsoft packages, particularly Excel
This is a key role for the organisation; the salary and broader remuneration package is competitive and will reflect the skills, experience, and calibre of candidates.
In addition to a competitive base salary, there are plenty of reasons why it is great to work at STV – here are just a few of the perks:
- 25 days paid annual leave and 9 public holidays per annum, with the option to buy more through their Holiday Extras scheme
- An extra day’s holiday on your birthday
- Healthcare cash plan providing Company contributions towards dental, optical, wellbeing or other healthcare costs
- Company pension contribution
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket travel loan
- Onsite occupational health service
- Flexible benefits portal providing a range of retail and gym discounts
Hybrid working is available to help you balance work, life, and to achieve your goals in both – STV is focused on creating an inclusive working environment where colleagues can collaborate, create and thrive to deliver results and perform at their best.
- Initial interviews are with our retained advisors Rutherford Cross
- First round interviews are with the Head of Statutory Reporting and HR
- Second round interviews will be with the Chief Financial Officer