HEINEKEN is proud to be the UK’s leading cider and beer business with an unrivalled portfolio of brands including Fosters, Strongbow, John Smith’s, Bulmer, Desperado and of course the world-renowned Heineken. The business also operates Star Pubs and Bars, a leased pub business which is made up of an estate of around 1,200 pubs throughout the UK.
A new opportunity has arisen for a UK Tax Analyst to work in the Heineken in-house team and broaden their experience with responsibility across corporate tax, VAT and trade compliance. Based in the Edinburgh Group Finance office, the UK Tax Team manages processes for all taxes ensuring returns are accurate and submitted on time, and supports the Group with tax reporting, advisory, treasury and insurance matters.
HEINEKEN is on an exciting journey in the UK and the Tax Team plays an important part in identifying and driving continuous improvement in tax processes and procedures.
The purpose of this role is:
- To support the UK Tax Manager in managing the tax compliance process for all direct and indirect taxes, ensuring that all tax returns are submitted to HMRC on time and that the correct amount of tax is paid to HMRC by the prescribed date
- To manage the internal tax reporting process
- To support the “World Class” Finance journey through identifying and driving continuous improvement in tax processes and procedures
- To work with the UK Tax Manager and the Head of UK Tax to ensure that the Heineken UK Group is compliant with the Heineken Tax Control Framework and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) laws and regulations
- To help the tax department provide effective business partnering to Heineken colleagues on UK tax matters
Support the UK tax manager and the Head of tax in the delivery of all tax department responsibilities.
Tax Compliance & Reporting
Review of the tax compliance output from the Heineken Global Shared Service centre (“HGSS”) and external service providers for all direct and indirect taxes and ensure they are accurate and submitted on time. The taxes include (but are not limited to):
- Corporation tax
- Excise duty
- Employment taxes
- Acting as a point of contact on routine compliance matters for internal and external stakeholders, including HMRC ensuring the tax team is visible and engaged with those stakeholders
- Schedule and review all tax payments, claims and elections relevant to the Heineken UK Group so that they are made on time and in full
- Review and/or preparation (as required) of Group and local reporting under UK GAAP and IFRS for input into the statutory account or management accounts
- Build & maintain relationships with HMRC Inspectors on tax matters, including responding to queries in a timely manner, assisting with audits and resolving disputes
- Build & maintain good relationships with HGSS colleagues and overseeing the quality of their output, to build their knowledge, motivate the team and provide development opportunities.
- Providing guidance to individuals in the business and shared service centre on tax issues as required
- Work with colleagues to drive continuous improvement in processes and procedures and ensuring tax-related IT systems are maintained and up-to-date (e.g. on change of tax rate)
Tax Advisory & Business Partnering
- Advise and make recommendations to colleagues on tax consequences of business developments after seeking confirmation of views from Tax Manager/Head of Tax and influencing where necessary to ensure that business is conducted in as tax efficient a manner as possible
- Provide general support to the UK Tax Manager and Head of UK Tax in identifying areas of potential exposure
We are keen to speak with enthusiastic tax professionals from a practice, in-house or HMRC background who are CA and/or CTA qualified who have a desire to work across the tax spectrum in a fast paced, professional FMCG environment.
- Build and maintain networks and relationships with all relevant stakeholders
- Interact with stakeholders at different levels to drive initiatives and influence others to win agreement to ideas and actions
- Identify strengths/development gaps and build capability
- Develop and achieve SMART objectives
- Identify opportunities to share learnings and improve performance and effectiveness
- Apply analytical skills to qualitative and quantitative data
- Proactively identify internal and external tax risks and developments and implement change and controls to address
- Establish and manage relationships with stakeholders, anticipating concerns and influencing views
- Translate complex information into simply messages and identify the best form of communication to various audiences
- SAP experience desirable but not essential
- Microsoft office experience
- Data manipulation and analysis
What's on offer?
A market leading salary, excellent matched company pension contribution, bonus, life assurance, private health care and further benefits including a monthly product allowance.
To register your interest or apply please contact [email protected] or call 0141 611 7770