Rutherford Cross is delighted to be working with the Weir Group on a retained basis to appoint a Head Office Management Accountant.
The Weir Group PLC is a FTSE 250 global engineering business headquartered in Glasgow. The company’s global footprint spans more than 70 countries and employs more than 14,000 people. With an auspicious history in Glasgow industry the company has in recent year’s undergone significant growth and restructuring both operationally and in terms of its geographical footprint, and is now organised into three sector focused divisions in high growth markets – Weir Minerals, Weir Oil & Gas and Weir Flow Control.
Weir Group has reported continuing strong revenue and profit in recent years. In 2016, the Group reported revenue of £1845m and profit before tax of £170m. These are highly impressive results, especially during an extended period of general economic uncertainty, with Weir well placed to benefit as markets recover. Weir represents a true global success story headquartered in Scotland.
The Glasgow city centre headquarters comprises some 60 professionals including the Board of Directors, Group Heads of Tax, Treasury, Internal Audit, Company Secretary/legal team and the Group Finance team.
For further information on the success of Weir Group to date, visit www.weir.co.uk
The purpose of this role is to support the Head Office Financial Controller through accurate and timely execution of key activities, primarily in the areas of monthly management accounts, quarterly forecasts, annual budgets and statutory reporting for The Weir Group PLC. Fulfillment of the role will require the provision of ad hoc and regular financial support and analysis for Department Heads as well as management of the intercompany invoicing and cash collection processes and providing day-to-day support and guidance to the Head Office Accounts Assistant.
- Provide financial challenge and business support and business support to department heads
- Preparation of monthly management accounts by department and related analytical review comparing actual spend to forecast, budget or prior year
- Clear communication and timely invoicing of recurring intercompany recharges and intercompany receivables reconciliations, including timely identification and resolution of any differences
- Analyse currency movements & balances
- Analyse and report the working capital position
- Maintain the Fixed Asset Register monthly, including reconciliation with general ledger
- Preparation and recording of monthly recurring journals, including payroll, and review journals prepared by the Accounts Assistant
- Prepare and submit monthly results and supporting data to the Group Reporting System in accordance with the Finance reporting timetable
- Preparation of key balance sheet reconciliations Quarterly Forecasting and Annual Budgets
- Engagement with department managers to prepare quarterly forecasts and budgets
- Calculate Group recharges for corporate services and reconcile inter-company balances
- Assist with the calculation of a number of accounting charges (eg, depreciation, amortization, pensions, Ltips)
- Providing concise explanations for key movements against prior forecast, budget and prior year
- Assist in the calculation and analysis of the corporation tax provision, as specified by the Group Tax Senior Manager
- Assist in the preparation the complete P&L and balance sheet for submission to Group in accordance with the Group Finance reporting timetable
Statutory / External Reporting
- Support the Head Office Financial Controller in completion of the annual statutory accounts, including disclosure notes
- Be responsible for day-to-day interaction with the Group’s external auditors during the half year and year end statutory reporting procedures
- Preparation of supporting analysis for certain employment tax returns
- Oversee the preparation of the quarterly VAT return by the Accounts Assistant
- Complete all relevant corporation tax analysis, as specified by the Group Tax Senior Manager
Ongoing/ Ad-hoc queries / Other
- Monthly hedging of currency exposures and mark to market valuations.
- Timely collection of aged debtors, and oversight of the cash receipting process to ensure accurate and timely completion thereof
- System admin support for the Purchasing system (especially linkages to the accounting system) and company credit cards
- Respond to all ad-hoc queries in a timely and efficient manner
- Deputize for the Head Office Financial Controller during periods of absence or as necessary
- Develop and implement financial processes to ensure compliance with best practice
The vacancy incorporates a combination of; monthly reporting, forecasting and budgeting, statutory accounting and process improvement. This will require a confident individual with strong technical and interpersonal skills. The post-holder will liaise regularly with the business, and therefore experience of working in a commercial environment is advantageous. In addition, it is likely that suitable candidates will have prior exposure of reporting and analysing high volumes of data within a large company.
Knowledge in the following areas would be of value:
Experience of the following would be beneficial:
- Working in the accounts department of an international business
- Working in a multi-currency environment
- Preparation of monthly management accounts, forecasting and budgeting
- Preparation of annual statutory accounts
- Experience of using accounting software, ideally SUN accounts, Cognos Controller and Cognos TM1
The core competencies required by a candidate are as follows:
- Problem solving (gathers and analyses information in a skillful manner)
- Initiative and self-reliance (ability to work with minimal supervision)
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Continuous process improvement
- Building strong relationships
Salary: £40,000 - £45,000 (depending on experience)
Pension: Defined contribution Group Personal Pension Plan with employer matched contributions of either 3% or 6%
Holidays: 25 days plus 9 statutory days
Life Cover: Death in Service
Professional Fees: Fully paid
First stage interviews are with our retained advisors Rutherford Cross
Second stage interviews will be with the Head Office Financial Controller and another member of the team
Third stage interviews will be with the Head Office Financial Controller and Group Financial Controller
Applications should be sent to [email protected]
All direct applications will be sent to Rutherford Cross, the Weir Group's recruitment partner for assessment.