Rutherford Cross is delighted be retained by STV plc to recruit a Group Financial Accounting and Tax Manager for their team in Glasgow.
STV is Scotland’s home of news and entertainment, serving audiences with quality content on air, online and on demand.
STV’s broadcast channel, accessible free-to-air on all the main TV platforms in Scotland, reaches 3.3 million viewers each month and is home to some of the biggest and most popular shows on television.
As the business enters a new and exciting chapter of its illustrious history, with the recent appointment of their new CFO in 2019 they are out to market to secure an ambitious Group Financial Reporting and Tax Manager.
This is a key position within the Finance function, with responsibility for the statutory accounting and tax compliance processes. Reporting to the CFO, it is a broad and highly visible role both within and outside the business requiring an individual of the highest calibre; it will be essential to communicate across the divisions, with the wider finance team, senior business leaders and the members of the Audit Committee.
The position will be responsible for the following key deliverables.
- Responsible for running the statutory accounts process at both half and full year end, including preparation of the Group consolidation, intercompany eliminations and related items
- Liaise with advisers throughout the process including external auditors, tax advisers and pension scheme actuaries
- Preparation of reporting to the Audit Committee, including analysis and explanation of the key judgement areas underpinning the Group financial statements
- Responsible for the accounting for the Group’s bonus and LTIP schemes
- Preparation of subsidiary accounts
- Assess, report and advise on developments in accounting standards and their implications for the Group, with day-to-day ownership of implementation plans to ensure compliance
- Work with company secretarial/legal teams to ensure efficient corporate structure
Tax Compliance & Planning
- Ownership of the corporation tax compliance process, including preparation of information required by the Group tax advisers and responsibility for tax accounting and cash payments to HMRC
- Responsible for VAT Internal Controls & Governance compliance across the Group
- Day-to-day owner of the relationship with the Group’s tax advisers for both corporation tax and VAT, and with HMRC
- Assess, report and advise on developments in tax regulations and governance and their implications for the Group, with day-to-day ownership of implementation plans to ensure compliance
- Maintain the integrity of Company ledgers and balance sheets through oversight of key financial controls, including balance sheet reconciliations
- Maintenance of Group policies and procedures
- Responsibility for Ofcom and ONS returns
- Day-to-day contact for the Group’s Internal Auditor
Profile of individual:
The position incorporates a blend of statutory reporting, tax compliance and planning, and internal controls and governance, and therefore requires an individual with strong technical and interpersonal skills. Experience of working in the media sector, although useful, is not a specific criterion. However, it is likely the individual will come from a large firm/business background where they will be experienced in the reporting, and system and control requirements of blue-chip companies.
The technical nature of the role requires an individual who is CA/ACA qualified and, ideally, has trained with a Big 4 accountancy practice. Applicants will be considered if they are making their first move from the profession or if they are already operating in a similar capacity within industry. Certainly, it is essential that the individual displays confidence, self-motivation and an ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels across the business.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Degree educated with a track record of high academic achievement
- CA/ACA qualified with a minimum of five years’ post-qualification experience
- Significant experience with statutory disclosures, plc reporting and other compliance requirements
- Strong interpersonal skills, especially when interfacing with senior management, whether within or outside of finance, or external stakeholders
- Self-motivated and capable of developing the current role over time
- Creative thinker with excellent problem solving and analytical abilities
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Resilience in managing conflicting priorities and stakeholder expectations
- Work effectively and autonomously to engage and influence others
- Expert level use of Microsoft packages, particularly Excel
Rutherford Cross are the retained advisors and any third party applications will be forwarded on for review and consideration.