Rutherford Cross is currently exclusively engaged to recruit a Group Accountant with Arnold Clark in Glasgow. Arnold Clark is Europe’s number one privately owned family run motor group selling in excess of 200,000 vehicles per year and generating an annual turnover of over £3bn. Established in 1954 and headquartered in Glasgow, the company has over 200 dealerships 130 Service Centres, 40 Accident Repair Centres and 13 Parts Centres in the UK. The success of the company can be attributed to its founder, who is still at the helm today and the Group now consist of a training company, an insurance business and a financing company.
The Group Accountant role is based at the Head Office in Glasgow and is part of a team of 6 other Group Accountants reporting into the Head of Group Finance. This is a diverse and varied role with good exposure across the organisation. The role will be a mixture of technical accounting and involvement in a number of acquisitions the business plans and continues to carry out. This would be a great role for a newly qualified, up to 1 year qualified Chartered Accountant looking for their first move into industry given the diversity and pace of role.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Preparation of financial analysis on aspects of monthly reporting to ensure accuracy of financial data. Involvement in preparation of information for the Board
- Responsibility for reconciliation and analysis of certain balance sheet accounts as part of our year end reporting
- Have and maintain a current knowledge of accounting standards. Ensure the impact of changes in reporting standards and legislation are fully considered and our processes amended as required to ensure the group remains fully compliant in all aspects of financial reporting
- Review capital project spend and determine the appropriate accounting treatment
- Part of the team responsible for acquisitions, disposals and property transactions. Specifics include performing due diligence procedures, managing process and transition, and preparation of technical accounting papers to support accounting for the transaction
- Provide support to our in-house tax manager in some areas of tax analysis and management
- Review and ongoing monitoring of our transfer pricing policies across the business
- Deliver periodic training to our accountants’ network on the different aspects of accounting
- Drive and deliver innovation and efficiencies in our data management and financial reporting
- Ad hoc general responsibilities within the wider Group accounts team
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Degree educated with a track record of high academic achievement.
- Qualified Accountant (CA/ACCA or equivalent) with relevant post qualification experience- 0-1 year PQE
- Experience of accounting under IFRS and UK GAAP
- Self-motivated and capable of developing role over time
- An excellent communicator who can make the complex simple
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Energy, drive, tenacity, professionalism and commitment
- Excellent IT skills with an advanced knowledge of MS Excel
- Flexible approach to working hours in line with the needs of the business and happy to travel to other UK locations as required
In addition to a basic salary of £38,000- £40,000 there is a fully expensed car with bonus and additional benefits.
What to do next:
To apply, for a confidential discussion, please contact our advisor John Ramsay at Rutherford Cross at [email protected] or 0141 6117770
Please note that all third party or direct applications will be forwarded to Rutherford Cross for inclusion in the assessment process.