Wireless Infrastructure Group (WIG) is an independent telecommunications infrastructure company and the UK market leader for neutral host connectivity solutions. Since its launch in 2007, WIG has invested in over 2,200 shared wireless infrastructure facilities. Its main customers include major mobile network providers such as O2, Vodafone, EE and Three, as well as over 100 other customers.
In November 2022, WIG acquired UK Tower Infrastructure Limited (UKTI) in a transaction worth in excess of £100m. UKTI owns a portfolio of over 1,100 towers, taking total towers under management up to 3,300, which will increase WIG’s EBITDA by 40% in 2023.
WIG is backed by Brookfield, one of the largest owners and operators of infrastructure assets in the world, providing it with significant and competitive capital resources. Brookfield acquired WIG in 2019 in a £575m transaction and is committed to ensuring its portfolio companies lead the way on ESG.
WIG Indoor Networks enable mobile and other services in offices, shopping malls, hotels, stadiums and other public venues that collectively host over 1.5 billion visitors each year. WIG Communication Towers serve rural communities, transport routes and other hard-to-reach areas. WIG Small Cells enable the latest mobile technology to be delivered on city streets and in busy urban centres.
As the UK’s longest standing independent tower and neutral host operator, WIG has extensive experience in managing the colocation of multiple networks on its infrastructure. Every project is designed to ensure it can support all the UK’s mobile operators as well as other networks that may need access. WIG’s focus on sustainable infrastructure means it’s interested in the long-term and creating solutions that can support demand as it grows and new technologies as they emerge. Wireless’ experience is unmatched in the UK with an average WIG asset hosting in excess of three network customers.
WIG operates across the UK, the Netherlands and Ireland, and has an incredible team of passionate people working from its UK regional bases in London, Bellshill and Solihull. In 2021, WIG opened a new office in Dallas, Texas, as it seeks to expand its indoor networks business into the United States. WIG employs c.100 people and is forecast to generate EBITDA of over £45m in 2023. To learn more about Wireless please click here.
Background to the Current Opportunity
The FP&A Accountant is an important role at Wireless Infrastructure Group with responsibility for a diverse range of activities.
The FP&A Accountant will report to the Business Planning & Performance Manager, but is also expected to work closely with the CFO and the Financial Controller on matters such as budgeting, and the quality and delivery of financial information.
The role would suit an individual looking to broaden their experience within a dynamic SME environment at a growing company, and the position will provide a broad foundation to any candidate looking to develop the skills and knowledge required to take a Financial Controller or Finance Director role in the future.
This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated finance professional who wants to work in a high growth, private equity backed environment, and within a company that can provide a firm career platform for personal and professional development.
The successful candidate will be:
- Excellent at financial modelling, problem solving and have advanced analytical skills
- Able to present financial information in a concise and engaging manner
- Naturally curious, with an interest in engaging with the business to understand the story behind the numbers
- Willing to challenge the status quo appropriately, identifying and implementing new and improved ways of working
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders across the business and with the private equity shareholders
Main Duties and Responsibilities include:
Budget – Support the preparation of the annual 10-year plan, including:
- Collation and documentation of key assumptions
- Process inputs through budget model
- Prepare and review outputs against expectations
- Seek and implement opportunities to refine the budget process and model
Cash Forecasting and Covenant Reporting:
- WIG has debt facilities in place with blue chip financial institutions and is required to report twice each year on financial performance against debt covenants. Experience of debt document and covenant reporting is welcome, but not a requirement for the role
- Cash flow forecasting in advance of covenant test dates to ensure appropriate cash headroom and identify funding needs
- Prepare financial covenant tests and prepare financial reports for lenders based on financial and management accounts
- Identify fee cash available for shareholder dividends
- Prepare and review of statutory financial statements for subsidiaries under UK GAAP (actual account drafting outsourced to accounting firm)
- Support production of consolidated financial statements
Continuous Improvement - Support the BPP Manager, Financial Controller and CFO in:
- Streamline and simplify Excel report production and analysis
- Enhance the quality of data and analysis available to business units to assist in decision making
- Decision support analysis
- Ad hoc analysis and modelling for CFO
- Liaise with and support WIG’s new US business with financial reports and project monitoring
- Support annual insurance renewal process
- Manage ESG reporting (Environmental, Social, Governance reporting)
- Assist in dealing with shareholder requests for information
- Support the BPP Manager and CFO in ad hoc strategic initiatives (e.g. future refinances, integrating acquisitions, systems improvements, group restructures, etc.)
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Developing strong relationships with stakeholders
- Dealing with complexity
- Successful candidate is likely to have a background in a big four or mid-tier accounting firm, and may have spent time working in a finance department in industry
- Degree qualified with a strong academic track record
- Professionally qualified accountant (CA, ACCA, ACMA) with 1-4 years PQE
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Excellent Excel and financial modelling skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to present financial information clearly, concisely and in an engaging manner
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise and adapt to changing workload effectively
- Ability to identify business improvement opportunities and make recommendations
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders across the business
- Knowledge of accounting standards and developments relevant to the business
Other Key Characteristics and Behaviours:
- Excellent English language skills, both written and oral
- Brings energy and enthusiasm
- High levels of drive and personal commitment to achieve success
- Remains calm when under pressure
- Commercially curious and relishes challenges
- Results driven and respect for deadlines
- Anticipates stakeholder needs
- Not afraid to challenge the status quo and evaluate/present alternatives as required
- Strong team player
Salary: £Competitive, depending on experience
Pension: 9.6% employer contribution, minimum 5% employee
Healthcare: Self & Family
Bonus: Discretionary up to 10% of salary
Holiday Entitlement: 33 days, includes Bank Holidays
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week hrs
For more information on remuneration please contact Jonathan Donnelly at Rutherford Cross.