Founded in 2016 Scottish Dental Care is a fast-growing, highly acquisitive, Business Growth Fund (“BGF”) backed business. The group is a clinically led and patient focused dental provider, offering high quality dental care to our patients across Scotland. Scottish Dental Care offers a full range of NHS, private and cosmetic dental treatments, including all aspects of dental implant and reconstructive dentistry, together with short term orthodontics and facial aesthetic treatments across its clinics.
Scottish Dental Care has a turnover of £15m and currently operates 17 clinics across the central belt, Dumfries and Galloway, the Highlands and Grampian. The company has also recently acquired Castle House clinic in Inverness, the Grandholm and Granite City clinics in Aberdeen and the St Johns Road and East Craigs clinics in Edinburgh.
Earlier this year Scottish Dental Care secured a multi-million-pound minority investment from active growth capital investor BGF. The multi-million-pound investment will let the dental group implement its growth plans in the coming years through the continued acquisition of high-quality clinics across Scotland.
Alongside the investment, healthcare sector expert James Buckley has joined the board as non-executive chair. Buckley was introduced to the firm through BGF’s talent network and has previously sat on two boards backed by BGF. He has a successful and proven track record as chair and chief executive to a number of healthcare buy and build focused companies. The business was founded by brothers Philip Friel, Director of Dentistry and Christopher Friel, Managing Director.
Background to the Opportunity
This is an exciting time for Scottish Dental Care Group as it continues to grow through acquisitions. The business is looking to appoint a qualified accountant to support the Finance Director by taking ownership of all financial controls and integrating new companies to the group.
The finance team plays a key role in how the business operates and therefore a deep understanding of each area of the business is required. The pace and diversity of the group throws up new and exciting challenges on a daily basis. The Financial Reporting Manager position represents a fantastic opportunity for a driven and robust individual with first class technical accounting capabilities.
In order to be successful, the post-holder requires a high degree of flexibility, proactivity, and a mind-set that is very detailed focused whilst always maintaining an awareness of the bigger picture.
It also offers the opportunity to gain exposure to a private equity backed business and be part of a rapidly expanding buy and build growth story.
Scottish Dental Care will provide a firm career platform with future opportunities for personal development and progression and will provide the successful candidate with skills and experience which will underpin their future finance career.
Job Title: Financial Reporting Manager
Reports to: Finance Director
- Supporting the Finance Director and Financial Controller in the preparation and review of all the accounting and financial reporting deliverables
- Review of key finance reports (P&L /balance sheet) within monthly submission deadlines including the provision of supporting variance analysis and commentary
- Responsible for full balance sheet management, including substantiation of all reconciliation work carried out by the team
- Preparation of all financial aspects of monthly board packs and attendance at board meetings
- Responsibility for compilation of annual budget and rolling forecasts
- Ownership of the fixed asset register, ensuring a clear and consistent process is adopted at all times with the addition and disposal of all company assets
- Preparation of P11d submissions to HMRC
- Review of weekly cash flow report and forecasting cashflow requirements, ensuring the information is used to drive behaviours within the business
- Lead the Statutory accounts process and liaise with the Auditors during the external audit process (multiple statutory entities)
- Oversight of monthly payroll (currently outsourced but this may change)
- Continuous improvement in working practices and service delivery
- Processing of monthly routine transactions, journals etc
- Acquisition accounting for new acquisitions to Scottish Dental Care
- Assistance in assessing acquisition opportunities and in-house diligence on acquisition targets
- Interaction and provision of financial information to funders and investors
The Financial Reporting Manager position requires a professionally qualified accountant who possesses excellent organisational, interpersonal, and technical skills. The ability to build relationships with and influence internal stakeholders, is a key requirement, as are first class technical accounting skills. As the group is in the midst of a sustained period of growth, there is a significant focus on continuous improvement and development of reporting. A strong track record of achievement both professionally and academically is required given the nature and requirements of this position.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Qualified accountant CA or ACCA with commercial awareness and business acumen
- Strong technical accounting skills including both management and statutory financial reporting
- Demonstrable ability to maintain robust financial control environment and drive process improvement/efficiency
- Exceptional Excel skills
- Experience in managing a team and multiple workloads within tight deadlines
- Effective interpersonal skills, managing communications within the finance team and across all departments in the business and external partners
- Takes responsibility for assigned processes/projects and able to progress to completion independently
- Attention to detail, highly organised and with good time management
- Strong analytical skills to support business decision making processes
- Comfortable working with high volumes of data and able to rapidly assess workflow requirements
- Inquisitive & with the ability to learn quickly
Company Pension: 5%
Private Healthcare: Yes
Working Hours: 9 – 5, element of flexible working considered
Location: Glasgow city centre office, Blythswood Square, hybrid working 2 or 3 days per week in the office
The Recruitment Process
- Initial interviews are with our retained advisors at Rutherford Cross
- First round interviews are with the CFO
- Second round interviews TBC
- Applications should be sent to Jonathan Donnelly at Rutherford Cross: [email protected]