Since its launch in 1954, Arnold Clark Automobiles has grown to become Europe's largest privately owned car retailer, selling in excess of 250,000 vehicles per year and generating an annual turnover of over £3 billion.
Arnold Clark sells over 280,000 cars a year and all their employees play a valuable role in the company’s continued success, as it puts customer experience at the heart of everything it does. In addition to selling cars, Arnold Clark provides rental vehicles, business fleet services, and high-quality training in a host of areas, as well as servicing, MOT tests and accident repairs. The business also supports local initiatives, to help the communities it works in. As part of the Arnold Clark Group there are four smaller companies within the Group, in addition to the main business. Arnold Clark is an all-inclusive company with great opportunities for progression.
Arnold Clark’s values are:
Background to Opportunity
The Arnold Clark Group has grown significantly over the last 10 years adding various departments to its Head Office function. Over this period there have been changes in financial practice to move more towards Internal Controls functions and as a result a new department has been created. The Financial Controls Accountant will for a key part of a new Key Controls Department. This is an excellent opportunity to add value in a position with great exposure to the Group Finance Director. The post-holder will play a central role in shaping the way Arnold Clark monitors it’s financial controls. The individual will be required to assess current controls/gaps and amend these / develop new controls in conjunction with key stakeholders. This position will sit within the Group Finance Department but will work closely with Internal Audit who will test the controls. The individual will be required to document Group policies and procedures and continuously review these. The Financial Controls Accountant will have one direct report, a graduate, providing exposure to people management.
The Financial Controls Accountant will be part of new Key Controls Department and the post-holder will be responsible for working with stakeholders within various Departments to assess and develop internal controls. This Department will report to the Finance Department and will work closely with Internal Audit Department who will test controls.
The purpose of the role is to ensure that risks associated to core financial processes are identified, recorded and controls are designed to mitigate these risks. The Financial Controls Accountant will communicate with core finance teams to make sure that controls are an integrated part of their day-to-day activities, and they understand their roles in keeping a solid control environment within Group Finance. The Financial Controls Accountant will report to the Senior Controls Accountant working closely with Internal Audit.
- Act as the “go-to” person for finance teams for all control related matters and provide professional support during internal audits
- Work with stakeholders to develop/implement Internal Controls
- Develop strategies/timelines to plan development/implementation
- Design, assess, implement and monitor a robust Financial Reporting Controls Framework, governance and methodology
- Identify, assess, document and monitor business processes (including financial systems) that affect the Group’s financial reporting, including the use of process narratives & flowcharts
- Lead, document and report on risk assessment of the business processes in respect of materiality and tolerance mis-statements in financial reporting, including establishment of risk ratings for use in Group reporting
- Develop Group policies for controls and control objectives for core financial reporting processes
- Work with process owners to scope, design, and implement controls to address key risks and ensuring design adequacy and operating effectiveness of financial controls
- Ensure that sufficient controls are in place, identify efficiency opportunities and suggest ways to eliminate duplication
- Prepare regular reporting to management and follow up actions.
- Be the source of excellence for IFRS & FRS guidance, ensuring accounting policies are robust, communicated and applied
- Prepare accounting papers to support internal practices
- Line management of a graduate
The position requires a qualified accountant, with experience in industry, ideally in a large corporate environment where the individual has played leading role in implementing and monitoring financial controls. The ability to remain organised in a fast-moving, multi-tasking environment is essential. Equally as important is the confidence and ability to communicate effectively at all levels, as well as the focus and proactivity required to make sure that multiple priorities are managed.
- Fully Qualified Accountant with at least 2 years PQE working in industry controls environment
- Ambitious and dynamic with a track record of proactively challenging the status quo and driving change
- Ability to project manage/manage conflict.
- Knowledge of SOX
- Ability to adapt to a high paced working environment, prioritise and be flexible
- Strong technical knowledge of IFRS
- Strong commercial understanding
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfortable analysing and interpreting complex data and drawing logical conclusions
- Influencing skills
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities
- Ability to manage multiple projects and timelines
- Ability to work on own
- Process orientated
Company Car: On Company Scheme
Pension: Company Pension Scheme
Holidays: 33 days annual leave
Healthcare: Private Medical Care and Life Assurance
Professional Fees: Paid for professional membership
Discounts: Discounts on purchase of vehicles, on servicing and on rental of vehicles
Additional Benefits: Cycle to Work Scheme
Working Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm
Location: Hillington (Head Office) some occasional travel to sites may be required, there will be the option for flexible hybrid working with potential working from home days.
The Recruitment Process
- Initial interviews are with our exclusive advisors Rutherford
- Format of second stage interviews TBC