Snappy Shopper’s vision is to democratise technology and protect local community businesses by enabling them to become a “light store” providing a local home delivery service. The company’s belief is that society is better when local communities thrive. Snappy Shopper champions the community retailer, who’s there for the grandads, the mothers, the students, when they need a delivery from local store to door. Snappy Shopper dares to challenge and disrupt the dark side of the multinationals and the faceless dark operators who threaten our local retailers.
Snappy Shopper is a technology led Q-Commerce solution provider, delivering £140m of annualised sales for our 1700 business partners.
- Today the business has two verticals, Snappy Shopper and Hungrrr, operating in the growing UK convenience grocery sector and the hospitality sector respectively.
- Launched in Dundee in December 2017, Snappy Shopper's UK wide app and website lets consumers order from their local store, with delivery by the store’s own drivers in as little as 30 minutes.
- Hungrrr, launched in 2016, offers restaurants, hotels, and stadia solutions to take online orders. The platform’s white label functionality can be tailored to each client, which has proven attractive to businesses such as Hilton and Subway.
- To achieve its vision, the business must continue to provide the best on demand software. A solution that is simple for both the retailer and end-user, that builds long-term customer loyalty and can scale globally.
Snappy Shopper’s three-year strategy is to win in Convenience in the UK and then evolve and cross-sell from this category to the rest of the Digital High Street. The business intends on winning market share in the UK as rapidly as possible starting with small towns then cities by working with independent and group Retailers to serve as their tech solution for online orders.
Despite Snappy Shopper being at an early stage in its lifecycle the business is led by an executive team with a wealth of talent and experience which reflects the company’s ambitions. This includes:
- Mike Callachan, Founder and CEO
- Alan Reid, Founder and CTO
- Barry McGonagle, CFO, formerly Finance Director of Skyscanner
- Mark Steven, COO, formerly Managing Director of Scotfresh
- Lisa Venter, Group Operations Director, formerly Global Marketing Operations Executive of Skyscanner
- Caroline MacGregor, Chief People Officer, formerly Head of Enablement and Change of Philip Morris International
- Justin King, Investor and Strategic Advisor, formerly CEO of Sainsbury’s
Background to the Current Opportunity
The convenience home delivery sector has grown significantly over the past two years, with the pandemic driving shopper habits towards online. Snappy Shopper is focused on the partnership model with local retailers and that is what sets it apart in the marketplace.
The company’s impressive and ambitious executive team headed up by Mike Callachan, CEO has recently amassed £19.4 million of funding. PayPoint lead the investment with £6.6 million funding and the other investors that participated in the investment round include Highland Tech, Justin King, Maven Capital Partners, Kelvin Capital and Scottish Enterprise and existing investor Mercia Asset Management. With this round, the company is now valued at over £65 million.
The company has recently appointed Barry McGonagle, formerly of Skyscanner, as CFO. As the business prepares for a period of high-growth Barry is keen to appoint a Financial Controller and an FP&A Manager.
The company represents an excellent opportunity for a motivated, growth orientated and flexible candidate who wants to work for one of Scotland’s most exciting technology scale ups. Snappy Shopper provides the prospect of working for a high-growth PE backed business, with tremendous ambitions, offering scope for great career development as the business grows. This is an exceptional opportunity to join a unique Q Commerce sector company and contribute to its future success by playing a key role in its journey.
The Financial Controller will be responsible for managing the core Finance Function at Snappy Shopper which will include ensuring accurate, timely and robust financial reporting, compliance and cash management.
The role represents a rare and exciting opportunity to grow along with one of Scotland’s most exciting technology scale ups. As a key part of a developing finance function within a high growth start-up there is a high degree of fluidity around this role as well as others being recruited into the function. As such, the successful candidate will be adaptable, take ownership and willing to turn their hand to a range of problems whether they’ve encountered them before or not.
The duties set out below is the intended scope of the position, but it is anticipated that priorities and deliverables will shift regularly based on business need and also the candidate’s strengths and preferences.
Thus, the responsibilities listed below are directional rather than fixed:
- Work with the CFO to develop and build a first-class finance operation from the ground up to support business growth
- Manage the core finance department including all accounting, financial reporting, accounts payable and accounts receivable processes
- Take a lead role in scoping and implementing new systems and tooling within finance to improve efficiency and quality
- Prepare and present the monthly management accounts and board packs
- Lead a growing team. It is intended this role will have 2-3 direct reports to begin and the successful candidate will have scope to shape and grow the team
- Own relationships with key stakeholders including interdepartmental peers, the external auditor and investors
- Take the lead in ensuring the company’s compliance bar is met including managing external auditors and tax advisors
- Develop and implement scalable and automated financial processes across the business
- Put in place and maintain a strong control environment that protects the business from risk
- Take a hands-on approach to core financial processes like journals, invoicing and reconciliation
- As a start-up the future is ever changing, and you will be involved in wide-ranging projects supporting the CFO and the executive management team including but not limited to external fundraising and M&A
The role of Financial Controller requires a professionally qualified accountant who has demonstrable experience in a hands-on management role and is able to be involved in the detail of the day to day running of the finance function. A strong technical grounding is important as well as ideally having had some exposure to financial modelling. Drive and determination will be integral to this role and it will suit an individual who enjoys working autonomously and continually developing.
Success in this role is more about mind-set and approach than it is technical qualification or experience. The key candidate requirements for the position include:
- Strong work ethic, resilience and ability to navigate change
- Hands-on mentality, willing to roll your sleeves up
- Naturally curious and willingness to learn, grow and develop
- Low ego and high empathy
- Entrepreneurial mind-set, comfortable in highly ambiguous environment and able to independently take responsibility from day one
- Able to operate in quickly changing environments whilst being well organised, pro-active and deadline driven
- Experience of managing, guiding and leading employees to ensure the usage of appropriate financial processes
- Strong accounting knowledge, ideally with exposure to IFRS and UK equivalent
- Practical experience with a range of finance software
- Experience of improving systems, tooling and processes within a finance environment
- Experience in a similar high growth technology environment a strong plus point but not a need to have
- 3+ years post qualification experience in a managerial role within Finance
Company Pension: NEST pension: 5% employee, 3% employer
Holiday Entitlement: 28 days including public holidays, plus Birthday Day off. Snappy is currently reviewing the holiday entitlement in Q1 this year.
Bonus / Share Scheme: Bonus and share scheme entitlement to be confirmed. Both are currently being reviewed as part of a wider Reward project that Snappy is undertaking in Q1 this year.
Additional Benefits: Paid professional membership fees
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week