Rutherford Cross is delighted to bring to market the following newly created Financial Controller role with Bell Group in Airdrie.
Bell Group are the UK’s largest commercial painting and decorating contractor with branches nationwide. Bell Group are family owned and were founded in April 1984 by Chairman and Founder George Bell.
Since 1984 the business has grown substantially through acquisition and organically across the UK, branching out of Airdrie, Scotland where it was originally founded and currently head officed. The business now has 24 strategic branches across the UK and is operating at over £100m turnover with over 1,500 employees across the business. The business recorded an EBITA of £4m last year.
Bell Group provides 7 key services these are: Painting and Decorating, External Upgrades and Maintenance, Fire Upgrade, Specialist Coatings, Interior Refurbishment, Reactive Maintenance and Industrial Painting. The vision of growth for the organisation is to provide a more rounded offering to its clients and build off the strong reputation of the current business offering.
As the business enters a new exciting chapter of its illustrious history, it has identified the need to create a Financial Controller position within the Finance team. This role will support and report into the Finance Director and will lead a team of 17 in the head office in Airdrie. One of the first projects the Financial Controller will be involved in will be the leading of the new finance system implementation.
This position represents an exceptional career opportunity for an ambitious, driven accountant, seeking to make a positive impact and support strategic decision-making. It is envisaged that this individual will take a step up into the Finance Director role over time and it is therefore crucial that this individual has the ambition and ability to support this progression.
The Financial Controller will be responsible for the following key deliverables:
• Form opinion and evaluate impact of technical matters/disclosure and recommend appropriate policies to senior management/audit committee
• Planning, overseeing and reviewing the preparation of the annual consolidated accounts and preparation for the external audit
• Planning, overseeing and reviewing the preparation of monthly consolidated accounts and reports to the Board of Directors
Risk and Control
• Ensure a robust financial control environment
• Design internal controls to mitigate financial risk and ensure they are fit for purpose and operate as in intended
• Maintain all records, registers and books of accounts
• Ensure all filing requirements are met
• Ensure a fully functioning daily, weekly and monthly cash forecasting system
• Work with financial institutions (banks and suppliers) to assist with cash flow
Own Projects and Strategic Initiatives
• Provide technical leadership and direction to the businesses, partnering with the senior management team on an ongoing basis
• Lead the change management of finance system within the overall ERP system
• Design and implement a suite of financial reports for the new system
• Continue to develop the team of 17, ensuring clear lines of responsibility
• Actively manage personal development for self and team
• Manage team to meet business objectives
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
Proven track record in leading and motivating teams within and across functions
• Experience of developing outstanding relationships across the businesses
• A background in organisations or environments with a high degree of growth
• Experience in presenting at senior management level
• A proven relationship builder with the ability to increase co-operation across departments and sites
• Construction experience would be highly beneficial but not essential
• Degree qualified with a strong academic track record
• Professionally qualified accountant (CA, ACCA, ACMA, CIMA) with PQE consummate with a role at this level of responsibility
• Knowledgeable on current accounting standards and any proposed changes that are applicable to the business
• Ability to prioritise and adapt to workload
• Strong analytical, organisational and decision-making skills
• Excellent communication and problem-solving skills with an ability to influence key members of senior management
• Ability to assess and drive business improvement projects
• Excellent IT skills, with a proven track record in optimising finance systems