VPZ are the UK’s market leading online and national retailer of quality electronic cigarette and vaping merchandise, stocking a large range of e-liquids, hardware, accessories and more. VPZ was founded in 2012 after the owners found that vaping was the only thing that helped them successfully quit smoking.
Fueled with the desire to help more people kick the habit and armed with the knowledge that in 2012 there were approximately 12 million smokers in the UK, the owners opened the first VPZ store in Leith, Edinburgh. Since then, VPZ has grown rapidly and organically, reaching its current Turnover of £36m in 2022 and projected Turnover of £45m in 2023.
The company remains privately owned and headquartered in Edinburgh, and now operates 157 stores across the UK, 130 corporately owned stores and 27 Franchise stores, with ambitious plans to grow the estate further over the next few years.
The vaping market is a fast-paced, rapidly evolving and expanding sector. The UK Government has a stated vision to create a smoke free generation by 2030 and vaping continues to be a key weapon in the stop smoking strategy. Public Health England has reported that vaping is the most effective way for smokers to quit and they continue to support their scientific findings that vaping is at least 95 per cent less harmful than smoking traditional tobacco cigarettes.
Latest figures also show that approximately 2 million people in the UK have already quit smoking by switching to vaping, with 500,000 more presently trying to switch. Furthermore, Cancer Research UK estimates that there are currently 7 million smokers left in the UK who can still potentially switch to vaping.
VPZ’s mission is to assist those remaining smokers in making the switch and help existing vapers stay on their journey with excellent customer service, an incredible range of products, all of the latest technology and local availability by having stores right across the UK.
VPZ has an exciting opportunity for a Financial Controller to join their ambitious owner-managed company and will be based in the current team in Edinburgh. Working closely with - and deputising for - the Finance Director, the role will manage the finance team and play a key part in the continued growth of the business, providing exposure to all aspects of financial governance and management.
The Financial Controller role incorporates a blend of accounting and stakeholder management, requiring a high calibre individual who is strong interpersonally, well organised, detail conscious and who possesses excellent technical skills.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Preparation of month-end reporting for management and Board
- Ownership of the annual budgeting and forecasting processes
- Preparation, monitoring and reporting of key business and financial controls within the business
- Monthly review of balance sheet reconciliations
- Capex and new store investment appraisal
- Management of audit requests during the audit process and acting as a contact for the auditors
- Management of the team, day-to-day issues and concerns, while also aiding their development in thinking proactively about continuous process improvement
- Support the professional development of the team through mentoring
- Coordination of the team to ensure all national statistics reporting is undertaken on a timely and accurate basis
- Ad hoc reporting and project work as required by the business
- Acting as an effective coach with the ability to provide direct, honest and constructive feedback
A degree-qualified accountant with experience supporting leadership teams, preferably in a Retail or FMCG environment. Passionate about operating proactively in partnership with the wider business to promote financial awareness and confident with communicating financial information to non-financial individuals.
- Qualified member of an accountancy body (CA, ACCA, CIMA etc.)
- Demonstrable experience in managing, leading and motivating teams
- Experience in budgeting, forecasting and preparation of management accounts
- Confident communicator with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and numerical skills, with the ability to input and interpret complex data
- Strong IT skills, including advanced Excel
- Solid knowledge of all relevant statutory legislation and regulations
- Personal integrity and openness, with a commitment to confidentiality where required
Attractive package commensurate with background and experience required for the role. For more information on remuneration, please contact Will Dodds at Rutherford Cross.
What to do next:
To find out more on the role or to see a full Position Profile, please contact their retained advisor, Will Dodds at Rutherford Cross by emailing [email protected].