Rutherford Cross is delighted to be retained by Bella & Duke to appoint a financial Controller.
Bella & Duke is now looking to further bolster the finance team by recruiting an experienced Financial Controller who will report directly to the CFO in order to add greater strength and depth to the team due to its consistent year on year growth, capital raised and long-term ambitions of the business. This is a newly created role to help build and shape the finance team.
The Financial Controller is a newly created role which will be an integral part of the Bella & Duke team based in the new head office in Dunfermline and a direct support to the CFO, Robert Horner. This is an exciting, progressive opportunity for a talented finance professional with the desire to join a high growth, innovative, data driven company. It is crucial that the appointed candidate knows what a high performing finance function looks like, however, the approach and attitude of the candidate will be particularly important to ensure a long-term fit with the leadership team.
The successful candidate will be an inquisitive and proactive individual. They will be results focused with the ability to influence whilst building strong long-term relationships with stakeholders. As the business continues to grow and diversify so too does the need to continuously improve and have robust and effective management reporting, systems and processes in place to run efficiently and effectively.
This is a unique position with a company at the early stages of growth with a significant market available to them for future development. The business will provide the mandate to shape and define how the finance function evolves. Over time this role will develop and grow and therefore it is key that applicants are flexible and adaptable to those changes.
The Financial Controller will take responsibility for the delivery of accurate and high-quality management information as well as focusing on process and controls improvement and development of the team.
The main duties and responsibilities will involve:
- Overseeing the day-to-day activities of the company’s finance function and ensure this is efficient, well organised and produces timely, accurate financial and management accounts
- Financial planning, budgeting, variance analysis, financial risk management, performance reports and business analysis reporting
- Preparing monthly management accounts and reports to the senior management team
- Take responsibility for month-end and year-end accounting close process
- Taking a leadership role in the business, helping to achieve cost control, budgetary accountability and responsibility across the business and contributing to decisions regarding financial strategy
- Preparation of regular financial and other business reports; analysing and interpreting results and conducting reviews with the CFO and other relevant management to establish reasons for variances and determining action plans for future developments
- Supporting the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts
- Development and documentation of controls, processes and procedures, ensuring a robust accounting system is in place as the business continues to grow
- Supporting any accounting system implementations and upgrades (e.g. Manufacturing and stock systems)
- Overseeing all tax and regulatory/compliance requirements
- Line management responsibilities for 3 members of staff, focusing on team development and training
- Development of the accounts function, including responsibility for future recruitment and evolving the finance structure to meet business needs
The Financial Controller position requires a professionally qualified accountant who possesses excellent technical and management accounting skills, strong systems knowledge and previous team management experience. It is likely that the individual has trained in a professional services firm, but has also operated within commercial organisations, ideally in a small/medium, high growth, dynamic business environment.
It is critical that the Financial Controller can effectively support the CFO, while consistently meeting the needs of key stakeholders both within and external to the business. Undoubtedly, this is a key appointment for Bella & Duke and the successful individual will play a key role in shaping the finance function over time.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- High calibre graduate with a good track record of academic achievement
- Fully qualified accountant with appropriate post-qualification experience, preferably with a minimum of 5 years PQE and experience working in a similar role and environment
- Strong experience of Management accounting
- Excellent technical knowledge of statutory accounting, taxation and compliance
- Experience in manufacturing/FMCG/e-commerce would be advantageous but not essential
- Experience of implementing robust financial controls, processes and procedures
- Strong commercial understanding
- Ability to develop high quality management information to support decision making
- Excellent management and development skills
- Knowledge of financial modelling would be advantageous
- System implementation and development experience is desirable
- Excellent IT skills, especially in relation to Microsoft applications and Excel
- Self-starter, willing to be involved in the detail, whilst having sufficient gravitas to support and challenge key stakeholders as required
- Confident communicator at every level, with strong inter-personal and influencing skills
- Detail and process orientated
- Committed individual, displaying drive, ambition, and professionalism
- Flexible to travel to other sites as required