Rutherford Cross is retained by Denholm Fishselling in Cawdor, five miles south of Nairn in Inverness-shire.
J&J Denholm is a family owned business with over 150 years of experience operating in four areas: shipping, logistics, seafoods and industrial services. The Group generates over £230m of turnover per year.
The business is headquartered in Glasgow and has operations across this UK. J&J Denholm employee over 1,000 people.
The business is looking to secure a talented and ambitious Financial Controller for its Denholm Fishselling business in Cawdor. Denholm Fishselling is a £50m turnover business headquartered in Cawdor, five miles south of Nairn in the Highlands. The business has operations in traditional fishing ports across Scotland and Northen Ireland. The business has four key services that it provides:
• Makes investments in boats and quota in support of fishermen
• Provides a comprehensive range of fishselling services to approximately seventy fishing boats that they represent
• Operates a daily refrigerated fish transport service between Scotland and Ireland
• Supplies a wide range of chandlery and fuel products
The Financial Controller will work closely with stakeholders across the business, reporting into the Finance Director in the Cawdor head office. It is envisaged that this role will grow over the next few years and therefore the business is looking for an individual with the ability and desire to take on this challenge.
An opportunity has arisen for a qualified accountant to join the business in the role of Financial Controller. The role is based at the Denholm Fishselling head office in Cawdor and will report directly into the Finance Director.
With a small team, the role is hands on with regular, direct interaction with directors and operations teams. There is also regular interaction with external professional advisers.
The role represents an excellent opportunity for personal and professional development. It is envisaged that over time this role will develop and grow and therefore it is key that applicants are flexible and adaptable to those changes.
The Financial Controller will take responsibility for the delivery of accurate and high-quality reporting and management information.
The main duties and responsibilities will involve:
• Supporting and assisting the Finance Director with:
o Monthly management reporting, including the consolidation of partner/associate boat results
o Financial year-end activities such as statutory reporting
o Preparing reports for their partner and associate boat companies
• Liaising with auditors at the financial year-end
• Assisting with treasury and cash management activities
• Supporting the Managing Director on boat investment projects, bank refinancing and investment accounting responsibilities
• Assisting with the new operating and accounting system implementation
• To undertake other duties as may be reasonably required
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
• Educated to Degree level or equivalent
• Qualified accountant with appropriate post-qualification experience
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills combined with business acumen, pragmatism and a good sense of diplomacy
• Proven ability to build relationships at all levels
• Highly developed oral, written and presentation skills
• Motivated self-starter with a flexible working attitude
• A strong team player, with a desire to make a significant contribution to the Finance Department
• Excellent IT skills including MS office and a good working knowledge of accounting systems
• Flexible approach to working hours in line with the needs of the business and happy to travel to other UK locations as required
A Competitive base salary, very competitive pension and car allowance is associated with this role.
To review a full position profile/discuss in more detail please contact John Ramsay- [email protected]