Russwood Ltd is a Scottish supplier of high-quality, sustainable timber flooring, cladding and decking products. Situated in Newtonmore, in the heart of Cairngorm National Park and supplying timber to both the domestic and trade sectors for 30 years, Russwood takes pride in its reputation for quality products and excellent technical expertise, advising its customers on every step of their new build or renovation project. Russwood’s purpose is to help create a more beautiful, sustainable future in the built environment. The company is in a very healthy financial position, enjoying year on year growth, with a turnover of £7.5m for the year ending March 2021 and ambitious plans for further growth.
In 2020 Russwood proudly celebrated three decades in business. In 1990 the company started with a team of six and now employ over 50 staff across two sites, with a 50/50 split on production and office-based staff. The Newtonmore site is home to its sawmill, planing mill and in-house factory coating facility, as well as the head office where the sales, admin and marketing teams are based.
The majority of the employees live within the local villages of Badenoch & Strathspey. Each year Russwood support a number of carefully selected local events and clubs, and while the type of event varies, a key theme linking them is the promotion of health, well-being and sporting development in our local community. As one of the biggest employers in Badenoch and Strathspey, with many of our staff having grown up in the area themselves before raising their own families here, giving back to the community is something close to the hearts of many at Russwood.
The Glasgow office is the base for the specialist Architect Liaison Team as well as members of the Sales and Marketing teams. Through a continuous programme of staff training and support, the business strives to retrain and develop our staff to become experts in their fields. Over the years, Russwood has developed its expertise and experience, always embracing the latest innovations whilst maintaining a solid commitment to quality and service.
Timber is one of the most sustainable building materials and Russwood is fully committed to minimising its environmental impact. The business believes it has a responsibility to its customers, employees and other company stakeholders, to operate as sustainably as possible.
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a highly respected and environmentally conscious business, with ambitious growth plans, where the appointed candidate will play a key role in its journey.
To watch a short video on the Russwood story so far please click here.
Russwood is flourishing as a business and has ambitious plans to capitalize on a buoyant market, by expanding its operation south of the border. The position of Finance Manager has been created with a view to professionalising the finance function in line with Russwood’s LEAN process improvement model. The post-holder will refine procedures and controls and improve management information to support commercial decision-making. The post-holder will report directly into the Managing Director and will lead a small team, who know their duties and the business very well. This will be a key role, interacting with numerous stakeholders across the business. Over time there may be potential for the post to develop into a Finance Director position.
The Finance Manager position is a highly visible role working closely with the Managing Director. The successful candidate will take ownership of financial controls and leading the way on technical accounting standards to support the finance team. Given the exposure of the post, it is essential that an individual has a strong work ethic, takes responsibility for their duties and has a willingness to take a lead on key finance objectives.
This represents an excellent opportunity for a motivated finance professional who wants to work in a growing, family-owned environment and within a company that can provide a firm career platform with good opportunities for personal and professional development.
The Finance Manager role requires a confident and commercial individual that is comfortable engaging with the wider business at all levels. It is crucial that the post-holder possesses strong relationship building skills. They will need to learn the culture of a close knit, family company, which forms a key role in the local community. Russwood is fully committed to minimising environmental impact, believing the business has a responsibility, to operate as sustainably as possible. It is important that the Finance Manager buys into this ethos.
The successful candidate will challenge existing processes in a tactful manner, respecting those procedures at present have helped the company on its journey, however in order for the finance department to be a driving force in expansion plans, changes will be needed. Russwood is a fast-growing business and presents a fantastic opportunity for a driven Finance Manager to develop with the business.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- A background in manufacturing or other product led business environments would be highly advantageous
- Maintaining a strong financial governance environment, ensuring effective financial controls and procedures are in place
- Developing strong relationships across the business at all levels
- Presenting to senior stakeholders
- Liaising with external stakeholders in a professional manner, gaining trust and credibility
- Preferably a qualified accountant (CA, ACCA, ACMA), driven part-qualified accountants and those qualified by experience will also be considered
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to present financial information clearly, concisely and in an engaging manner
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including use of Excel
- A knowledge of cost accounting would be advantageous
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to identify business improvement opportunities and drive implementation
- Ability to prioritise and adapt to changing workload effectively
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of accounting standards and developments relevant to the business
Key Characteristics and Behaviours
- Not afraid to challenge the status quo and evaluate / present alternatives as required
- High levels of drive and personal commitment to achieve success
- Remains calm when under pressure
- Results driven and respect for deadlines
- Anticipates stakeholder needs
- Strong team player
The Finance Manager is a key role in the business, developing and leading the finance function of the business. The Finance Manager will have an opportunity to directly influence budgeting, planning and strategy processes.
The main duties and responsibilities will involve:
- Preparation of monthly management accounts to monitor and report financial performance against plans
- Compare actual to expected costs, identifying and understanding the reasons for variances and resolving any issues where relevant
- Challenging on costs and advising commercial colleagues on pricing decisions
- Producing financial forecasts and budgets
- Using a business partnering approach, work closely with Senior Management Team to providing financial support, advice and information to assist budget holders to monitor financial performance, achieve financial objectives and aid decision making
- Ongoing control and review of finance processes and procedures, with a pro-active approach to development
- Preparation of annual statutory accounts
- Management of year-end audits
- Review of corporate tax and VAT returns
- Keeping up to date with technical accounting developments, providing support and advice to the finance team
- Working closely with direct reports to ensure they continue to develop
- Support and interact with the senior management of the company and businesses on a daily basis
Basic Salary: £45,000 - £60,000 per annum, depending on experience
Company Pension: Auto enrolment, employer contribution 4%, employee contribution 5%
Holiday Entitlement: Currently stands at 29 days, although currently under review
Location: Newtonmore office, with a degree of flexibility
- First round interviews are with our retained advisors at Rutherford Cross
- Second stages will be with the Managing Director and HR Manager
- Final stages will involve meeting the Managing Director and members of the Senior Management Team
- Applications should be sent to [email protected]