Rutherford Cross is delighted to be retained by Sandstone Investment Management to appoint a newly created Finance Director.
Reporting to the CEO, you will work with the Director teams across the wider Sandstone business. There are 4 broad areas which you will be involved in – People, Technology, Growth and Green, representing the business’ core strategy. This is an exciting, progressive opportunity for a talented finance professional with the desire to join an ambitious fund manager. It is crucial that the appointed candidate knows what a high performing finance function looks like, however, the approach and attitude of the candidate will be particularly important to ensure a long-term fit with the leadership team.
This role will be responsible for the financial oversight, controls and reporting of Sandstone Investment Management to the REIT. It will work closely with the CEO to develop the business and set it up for success ensuring that the systems, processes and reporting are in place for future growth. The role will require working across multiple business functions as well as managing external stakeholders including advisors, banks, customers and auditors. Key responsibilities include:
- Financial leadership of the business with responsibility for the businesses’ accounting function and reporting, tax planning, budgeting, and forecasting
- The provision of robust and meaningful financial information to the CEO and the Board via high-quality board packs that include relevant and useful analysis to drive strategic decision making
- Supporting the CEO in the financial analysis of strategic decision-making in the business and helping to drive value creation in this process
- Ensuring that company financial systems and controls are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth
- Ensuring full compliance with all relevant accounting standards, regulatory requirements and company accounting policies, procedures, and standards
- Management of corporation tax, payroll, VAT, R&D claims, etc. in conjunction with external advisors
- Supporting the CEO on all corporate finance and structuring activity
The above responsibilities are neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the incumbent may be called upon to carry out such other appropriate alternative or additional duties as may be required, which are within their capability and competence.
The successful candidate will be an inquisitive and proactive individual, who will be results focused with the ability to influence whilst building strong long-term relationships with stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 7-9 years PQE with an exceptional business partner mindset and ideally will have experience with real estate funds, specifically in residential property. The appointed individual will report directly to the CEO and senior management team and will be required to take a hands-on approach to the varied role, where no two days are the same. This opportunity requires a sufficiently ambitious individual who has the ability to take responsibility for the financial oversight, controls and reporting of Sandstone Investment Management. The successful candidate will work closely with the CEO to develop the business and set it up for success ensuring that the systems, processes and reporting are in place for future growth.
It is likely that the appointed candidate initially trained within the profession before moving into industry. It is preferable that appointed individual will have operated within commercial, entrepreneurial organisations.
- CA, ACCA, ACA, CIMA qualified accountant with minimum 7 years PQE
- Although not essential, any understanding of REITs or small self-regulated AIFs is highly desirable
- Highly professional with an ability to adopt a Partnership approach and build a strong rapport with internal and external stakeholders
- Have a track record of working effectively in senior teams and influencing decisions
- The ability to be flexible and adapt at pace in a newly formed regulated business
- Strong commercial acumen, resilience, confidence and willingness to excel with a focus on continuous improvement
- Have strong leadership skills with a demonstrable track record of teamwork, collaboration and developing high performing teams
- The gravitas, experience, and ability to challenge the status quo and be a catalyst for change
- Experience in working with a Board, building their confidence in the reporting, financial models, and processes/controls
- Experience in playing a lead role and challenging business performance assumptions/ norms
- Highly numerate with strong analytical skills
- Intellectually curious with a broad business skillset
- Resilient: remains calm and effective under pressure
- A proactive self-starter
- Someone who is passionate, determined and will take accountability