Rutherford Cross is delighted to be retained by our key client The Weir Group to recruit two Group Accountants for their Head office team in Glasgow.
The Weir Group PLC (Weir) is a FTSE 250 global engineering business headquartered in Glasgow. The company’s global footprint spans more than 60 countries and employs more than 11,000 people. Founded in 1871, Weir engineers solutions that improve safety, efficiency and sustainability - helping to provide the essential resources needed by a growing world. Significant growth and restructuring, both operationally and in terms of its geographical footprint (culminating in the agreed sale of the Oil & Gas division), has enabled the Group’s transformation into a focused premium mining technology business through its Weir Minerals and Weir ESCO divisions. Weir has developed clear strategic initiatives centred around safety, employee satisfaction, inclusion and diversity, and sustainability as well as operational growth.
Weir has reported continually strong revenue and profit growth in recent years. In 2020 the Group reported revenue of £2bn and profit before tax of £255m. These are highly impressive results, especially during an extended period of general economic uncertainty, with Weir well placed to benefit as markets recover. Weir represents a true global success story headquartered in Scotland.
As the business enters a new and exciting chapter of its illustrious history, it has identified the need to strengthen its Group Reporting team with the creation of this role.
This is a key position within the Group Finance function, with responsibility for statutory accounting, consolidation of monthly management information and reporting. The role reports to the Group Accounts Manager and is a highly visible role at Group level, requiring an individual of the highest calibre. It will be essential to communicate effectively across the divisions, with the wider finance team and senior business leaders.
The position will be responsible for the following key deliverables:
Management Reporting and Analysis:
- Consolidation and review of monthly management information
- Preparation, review and provision of financial management information to senior management including the Group Executive and Board
- Preparation and analytical review of relevant sections in monthly management accounts, including interrogation of underlying financials
- Preparation and analytical review of Group cash flow to support cash management reporting to senior management
- Consolidation of quarterly budgets and forecasts in conjunction with divisional finance teams
- Preparation, analytical review and challenge of relevant sections of budgets, forecasts and strategic plans
- Involvement in the statutory accounts process at both half and full year end
- Analysis, evaluation and reporting of key financial information and preparation of material for reporting to the City at half and full year end
- Liaise with advisers including external auditors and tax advisers
- Preparation, analysis and reporting of the Group viability statement and going concern
- Preparation, analysis and review of financial information for external reporting to support the investor relations team
- Preparation, review and analysis of subsidiary accounts as required
- Working with legal, tax and company secretarial on M&A activity and ad hoc projects
Key Candidate Requirements:
- Degree educated with a track record of high academic achievement
- CA/ACA qualified with a minimum of two years’ post-qualification experience
- Experience with statutory disclosures, plc reporting and other compliance requirements
- Strong interpersonal skills, especially when interfacing with senior management (within and outside of finance) and external stakeholders
- Self-motivated and capable of developing the current role over time
- Creative thinker with excellent problem solving and analytical abilities
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Resilience in managing conflicting priorities and stakeholder expectations
- Work effectively and autonomously to engage and influence others
- Strong team working
- Experience of consolidation systems