AGS Airports Limited is the United Kingdom-based owner of Aberdeen, Glasgow, and Southampton Airports. The company was formed in September 2014 and is jointly held by Ferrovial (via Faero UK Limited) and AGS Ventures Airports Limited, an entity managed by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (Europe) Limited. Macquarie and Ferrovial have a long and successful history of partnering with each other across a number of infrastructure projects, with partnerships in airports including Bristol Airport and Sydney Airport. Both partners have developed extensive knowledge of aviation and have excellent contacts globally.
AGS Airports Limited’s total revenue for the year ending December 2019 was £217m, however the landscape has changed significantly since then. The strict travel restrictions put in place by governments in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic have resulted in a widespread grounding of flights.
The directors have instituted measures to preserve cash and secure additional finance. AGS Airports was recently named sector leader by the leading global sustainability organisation Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB).
For the financial year ending December 2019 AGS Airports Limited posted a healthy EBITDA of £92m. In the period since then the aviation industry has faced unprecedented challenges due to outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. The roll out of the vaccine throughout 2021 and the gradual lifting of restrictions should indicate the resurge of demand in travel and as such the 5-year plan is to return to pre pandemic financial results. This will be a challenging yet exciting period for one of Scotland’s most high-profile businesses.
For more information on AGS Airports Limited please visit: AGS Airports
The Tax Manager will ensure that the tax affairs of the AGS Group are managed in accordance with the AGS Airports Holdings Ltd Group (AGS) Tax Strategy. The role will report to the Financial Controller.
The job holder will be a technically strong and experienced tax practitioner with at least 6 years’ experience gained in public practice and/or commerce primarily in corporation tax but possessing a strong awareness and knowledge of VAT and employment taxes. They will ensure that accurate tax returns and correct tax payments are made and that the Group is completely tax compliant.
The job holder will also be able to develop strong relationships within Finance and with other business functions to work collaboratively in what is an efficient and compliant environment. The candidate must possess excellent tax accounting knowledge, detailed analytical abilities and be able to problem solve. In addition, they must also be able to demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
Framework and boundaries:
The role is an important contributor to the AGS Finance function and trusted to produce accurate and timely tax returns. It requires a clear understanding of the business strategy, competitive pressures and the necessary financial arrangements required to achieve its goals.
- Chief Financial Officer
- Shareholder tax teams in London and Madrid
- Financial Controller
- Head of Business Planning & Analysis
- Board & Audit Committee
- Group Commercial Lawyer and external legal advisors
- External tax advisors
- Finance Department
- Business Unit Managers
Duties & Responsibilities
- AGS pays a range of taxes in the UK, including Corporation Tax, employment taxes, VAT, Insurance Premium Tax, stamp duties and business rates. The post holder will ensure that the company complies with its tax policy to operate both within the letter and the spirit of UK tax law at all times.
- Preparation of the Group’s 8 corporation tax computations, returns and claims and elections
- Ensure all corporation tax payments are accurately calculated and made on time, including quarterly instalments.
- Calculate tax provisions, including deferred tax, for the annual statutory accounts; year-end budget and periodic forecasting; internal monthly reporting and other external reports.
- Prepare advice papers covering efficient group repatriation of profits for review by relevant stakeholders.
- Draft summaries on the tax implications of various funding proposals for the Group.
- Prepare the quarterly Group VAT return for review and organise payment.
- Assist the Finance and Commercial teams with VAT support including answering technical questions and providing accounting support during the preparation phase of each return.
- Prepare the annual PAYE Settlement Agreement calculations for review and organise payment.
- Submission of all relevant tax returns, letters and claims & elections to HMRC on a timely basis.
- Provide advice and support to stakeholders on the Off-Payroll Working rules to ensure the Group is compliant and carries no risk.
- Draft the Group’s Tax Strategy annually for review by the Financial Controller, CFO and key stakeholders.
- Management of tax risks to guarantee compliance with legal requirements in a manner which ensures payment of the right amount of tax at the right time and that AGS has certainty in its overall tax affairs thus avoiding penalties and loss of reputation.
- Ensure that the tax risk assessments and control systems are maintained as a component of the Group’s overall risk management and internal control framework.
- Maintain the Group’s Senior Accounting Officer documentation and organise signature and submission of annual certificates and notifications.
- Review and fully participate in the Group’s Corporate and Criminal Offence policy, including providing assistance to the business if required.
- Ensure that as part of the Group’s business and commercial operations it seeks to utilise available tax reliefs, incentives and exemptions in line with both the intent and letter of tax legislation.
- Seek external tax advice where necessary to ensure the right amount of tax is determined when circumstances are complex.
- Ensure that AGS maintains a transparent, and constructive relationship with HMRC by participating in regular meetings and Business Risk Reviews.
- Ensure that inadvertent errors in submissions made to HMRC are fully disclosed as soon as reasonably practicable after they are identified.
- Ensure all the current VAT, corporation tax and employee tax rules are understood and applied correctly within the AGS accounting systems and controls.
- Ensure that AGS is continually ready for any HMRC or internal tax audit and can ensure that there are no tax issues which will result in penalties or unexpected tax cost.
- Work closely with the shareholder tax and treasury teams in London and Madrid to ensure that all information requirements are provided timeously and accurately.
- As required, assist with any relevant analysis that is required to monitor and control cash and report to shareholders and lending banks
- Continually challenge current thinking and make recommendations on how to optimise business opportunities and minimise risk/cost.
- Perform any additional ad hoc duties as required.
- Have strong technical knowledge and previous experience of managing tax compliance and accounting for a large organisation.
- Demonstrate experience and technical knowledge specifically in group relief, tax loss utilisation, transfer pricing, corporate interest restriction, anti-avoidance provisions, loan relationships, derivative contracts, intangible assets, RDEC, capital allowances and withholding tax.
- Be a qualified accountant ideally a Chartered Accountant. A CTA qualification would be desirable but not essential.
- Have substantial experience in preparation and submission of corporation tax computations, ideally using Alphatax software.
- Have a good technical knowledge and awareness of VAT and employment taxes.
- Possess analytical skills with the ability to effectively problem solve and follow through to resolution.
- Have tax accounting skills to be able to produce tax returns in accordance with HMRC best practice.
- Have proven experience of dealing successfully with HMRC.
- Ideally, have experience of being in part of a finance team which has successfully managed through a major financial transaction for example a purchase or a sale or a refinancing activity.
- Have experience of being part of a strong effective finance team which has been successful in delivering strong financial controls efficiently and effectively throughout an organisation.
- Have experience of working in groups with multiple locations.
- Have had some experience of working with Boards, Audit Committees and with strong shareholder teams.
- Be commercially astute.
- High level of working knowledge of MS Office applications, Excel and Power Point in particular,
- Have excellent communication skills – written and oral
- Have experience of effectively communicating to and interacting with colleagues at all levels, including senior managers
- Be able to self-start and take a pro-active approach to tax compliance and management.
- Ability to organise work without supervision and deliver to tight timetables.
Car Allowance: £Competitive
Pension: 2% Employee / 7% Employer (auto enrolment rate)
3% Employee / 8% Employer
5% Employee / 10% Employer
8% Employer / 12% Employer
Holidays: 25 days plus 8 statutory days
Bonus: Up to 25% of salary based on EBITDA and individual performance
Healthcare: Private Medical for self and family
Professional Fees: Paid for one professional subscription
Additional Benefits: Duty free shopping at all times, free parking at all times
Working Hours: 40 hours per week
The Recruitment Process
Initial interviews are with our exclusive advisors Rutherford Cross.
Second stage interviews will be with the CFO, Head of HR and Financial Controller.
Third stage interviews TBC.