Rutherford Cross is delighted to be working with a high-profile business based on the outskirts of Glasgow to appoint a Systems Accountant on a permanent basis.
The purpose of this role is to provide ERP system expertise, financial understanding of the group and other back office systems. The post-holder will organise Finance IT systems, process and controls to ensure the financial accounts are accurately prepared and reported and that the necessary controls are in place and operating. The Systems Accountant will work closely with the transactional finance team and wider finance teams to manage the integrity of these systems and to design, test and implement financial structures and improve processes.
The role holder will support the business to ensure that all accounting systems are operating as efficiently and effectively as possible and all processes are embedded into the systems to avoid the use of spreadsheets and to ensure that the financial and surrounding processes are operating as efficiently as possible.
The post holder must also be able to develop strong relationships with the other Finance and Business functions to work collaboratively across all business functions. The candidate must possess excellent transactional finance and ERP system knowledge, detailed analytical skills and the ability to problem solve. Finally, the candidate must be able to demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Responsible for all three sites and corporate division within the Group with regards to finance back office systems
- Become a system expert with the ability to coach and advise the business on optimising the use of Back Office IT systems
- Organise and develop the accounting and associated systems, being Business World (Agresso) and Qlikview to ensure that all the finance transactions are accounted for accurately
- Act as a key interface between the business and the system providers, ensuring the group is up to date with developments, changes and releases
- Provide co-ordination and support for system upgrades
- Responsible for ensuring the accounting systems are operating efficiently and effectively
- User administration for multiple systems providing segregation of duties and data access/control
- Maintain chart of accounts, cost centres, organisational hierarchies and workflows
- Design, UAT and implement new hierarchies
- Diagnose reported faults through interrogation of the systems and resolve where possible and escalate where required
- Maintain financial accounting calendars, co-ordinate and support the month end close across the finance community
- Maintain foreign currency tables and communicate to the business
- Ensure the integrity of systems through daily monitoring of interfaces, scheduled requests, workflows and system capacity statistics
- Carry out regular audit checks on system usage and data quality (compliance)
- Ensure transactions are accounted for accurately and support IFRS accounting standards compliance
- Govern the reporting suite and reporting trees, understand reporting requirements and assist users to develop reporting solutions
- Assist users with systems support, develop user training and create training materials, when required.
- Support macro enabled spreadsheets
- Support the risk assessment system as required.
- Review, identify and implement improvements to support business and system processes
- Ensure all key financial controls are operating as required and work with the Finance Shared Services Manager to ensure all the controls that are in existence are required and redundant controls are retired.
- Improve process and controls
- Focus on automation and elimination of spreadsheet reporting
- Ensure processes, systems and controls are in place across finance and the wider business processes which impact finance
- Audit and report on processes, risk and controls quarterly
- Participation in internal and external audits
- Support the wider business on process improvement
- Continually challenge current thinking and make recommendations on how to optimise business opportunities and minimise risk/cost to the business.
- Any additional ad hoc duties as required
Qualification and experience required:
- Previous experience as a system administrator or accountant overseeing the management of Accounting IT systems, including an ERP system
- Previous experience in successfully managing change withing Accounting and related IT systems
- Significant experience in setting up and reviewing processes and controls
- Have experience being part of a strong effective finance team which has been successful in delivering strong financial controls efficiently and effectively throughout an organisation
- Computer literate, proficient in Microsoft Office applications as well as experience of using an ERP system
- Experience of delivering in a customer focussed environment and possess the ability to effectively respond to and address customer needs
- Understanding of general ledger and financial processes
- Strong organisational skills with ability to plan and prioritise effectively without close supervision
- Self-motivated with an appetite to seek out ways to continually improve processes
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to effectively problem solve and follow through to resolution
- Have proven experience of dealing successfully with Auditors
- Have experience of working in groups with multiple locations
- High level of working knowledge of MS Office applications, Excel in particular
Pension: Excellent company pension
Holidays: 25 days plus 8 statutory days
Bonus: Up to 15% of salary based on EBITDA and individual performance
Professional Fees: Paid for one professional subscription
Working Hours: 40 hours per week