STV’s broadcast channel, accessible free-to-air on all the main TV platforms in Scotland, reaches over 3 million viewers each month and is home to some of the biggest and most popular shows on television.
The channel’s first-class content includes soaps Emmerdale and Coronation Street, big drama productions, entertainment hits Britain’s Got Talent and I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here, strong home-grown productions, and Scotland's best, most comprehensive and most trusted news service. Flagship news programme STV News at Six, continues to grow its audience share and is Scotland’s most watched news service.
The STV Player is Scotland's leading commercial video on demand service and one of the fastest growing in the UK. Viewers in STV’s broadcast licence areas can enjoy their favourite STV shows live or on demand. Additionally, there is an increasing library of Player-exclusive content – acquired through third party deals and consisting of shows not available through Channel 3 – which is available to viewers for free across the whole of the UK. There is also an ad-free subscription version, STV Player+, which offers an opportunity to watch STV programming without the adverts.
STV Studios is one of the UK’s leading content businesses and is Scotland’s biggest production company. The success of the business has accelerated over the last three years, winning increasing commissions for new returnable series at the same time as securing commissions for existing stalwarts including Catchphrase and Antiques Road Trip. The division is busier than ever with full and varied development slates for the three inhouse labels (Entertainment, Factual and Drama) as well as an increasing family of minority and majority investments across six independent producers. Scripted productions include STV Studios’ critically acclaimed thriller The Victim for BBC One, TV film Elizabeth is Missing and prison drama series Screw for Channel 4, with a second series to be filmed later this year in Glasgow. In June of 2022 STV Group announced a major new 8-part returnable drama series for AppleTV+, Criminal Record, starring Peter Capaldi and Cush Jumbo and produced by Tod Productions and STV Studios. Unscripted formats include Antiques Road Trip, its sister programme, Celebrity Antiques Road Trip for BBC, Celebrity Catchphrase for ITV as well as recent wins Bridge of Lies for BBC and Inside Central Station for BBC Scotland. Through their acquired label, BarefacedTV, they are currently in production for their first streamer commission for Discovery+, Zodiac Island, an astrology-dating based show filming in Greece.
STV Group plc represents a fantastic opportunity to join an iconic Scottish listed company at an exciting time in its growth strategy. The Company has a forward-thinking approach and an inclusive and collaborative culture.
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and equality of opportunity for all. They strongly encourage applications from candidates from all backgrounds, and as a Disability Confident employer, they are committed to offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
Background to the Opportunity
As a result of internal changes, an opportunity has arisen for someone to join the Group Finance Team in the role of Group Management Accountant with responsibility for the Enabling functions (Finance, Corporate, HR, IT, Comms, Facilities and Property) and for consolidated management reporting of the STV Group.
STV Group plc represents an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated, part or newly qualified accountant to join a dynamic and growing business which posted record results in 2021, and which has demonstrated resilience against the current uncertain economic backdrop. As one of Scotland’s few listed companies, this is a rare opportunity for the successful individual to operate in the unique and changing environment of a plc business.
- Maintain the general ledger (profit & loss account and balance sheet) for all cost centres that comprise our Enabling functions including the accurate posting of journals, assessment of monthly accruals and prepayments, and accounting for ad hoc projects, costs or other exceptional items
- Oversight and ownership of the interface between the Group’s payroll and finance systems to ensure accurate accounting for all payroll costs
- Preparation of monthly balance sheet reconciliations
- Preparation of monthly management accounts with associated variance analysis and commentary
- Preparation of three year plan, annual budgets and quarterly forecasts
- Detailed monitoring of costs against budget, forecast and prior year
- Liaison with key managers and personnel across the Enabling functions, to provide insight into spend and support them in the operation of their cost centre
- Presentation of information to senior management
- Accounting for property and other leases under IFRS16
- Preparation of the monthly consolidated STV Group Flash report
- Preparation of the monthly STV Group Management Accounts
- Preparation of the consolidated STV Group quarterly forecasts, annual budget and 3yr plan
- Assisting in the management of the Group’s treasury requirements
- Providing general ad-hoc support to the Head of Management Reporting and Treasury
This position encompasses a broad spectrum of management accounting duties including the maintenance of the general ledger (P&L account and balance sheet), divisional management reporting, preparation of the monthly consolidated group flash report & group management accounts, budgeting, forecasting and more. Therefore, this role will require someone who has a solid foundation in management accounts and is keen to step up into a bigger role that will provide broader exposure and a platform to develop their skillset.
A summary of the key candidate requirements is as follows:
- A relevant professional accounting qualification, or be in the latter stages of working towards one
- Strong interpersonal skills, especially when interacting with senior management; whether within or outside of finance, or with external stakeholders
- Self-motivated and capable of developing the current role over time
- Creative thinker with excellent problem solving and analytical abilities
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Work effectively and autonomously to engage and influence others
- Expert level use of Microsoft packages, particularly Excel
- The ability to work under pressure, remain focused and meet deadlines
This is a key role for the organisation; the salary and broader remuneration package is competitive and will reflect the skills, experience, and calibre of candidates.
In addition to a competitive base salary, there are plenty of reasons why it is great to work at STV – here are just a few of the perks:
- 25 days paid annual leave and 9 public holidays per annum, with the option to buy more through their Holiday Extras scheme
- An extra day’s holiday on your birthday
- Healthcare cash plan providing Company contributions towards dental, optical, wellbeing or other healthcare costs
- Company pension contribution
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket travel loan
- Onsite occupational health service
- Flexible benefits portal providing a range of retail and gym discounts
Hybrid working is available to help you balance work, life, and to achieve your goals in both – STV is focused on creating an inclusive working environment where colleagues can collaborate, create and thrive to deliver results and perform at their best.
The Recruitment Process
- Initial interviews are with our retained advisors Rutherford Cross
- First round interviews are with the Head of Management Reporting and Treasury
- Second round interviews will be with the Head of Management Reporting and Treasury and the Chief Financial Officer