Highland Spring Limited was formed by the same family that owns it today in 1979, with their main site situated in Blackford, Perthshire. In the late 1970s, the market for bottled water was less than 30 million litres a year. It is a testimony to the vision that the family had, that one day bottled water and in particular Highland Spring, would be a major player in the UK soft drinks industry.
With the consumer-driven focus of the 1980’s, Highland Spring took its first foray into TV advertising. Sales continued to grow into the 1990s and with more consumers choosing bottled water, the need to reinvest in the company’s infrastructure became evident. Sales demand was outstripping production capability, and so investment in new expanded facilities began.
By 2004, Highland Spring had become the No. 1 sparkling water brand in the UK. A £10 million brand building programme was launched so the brand could grow in line with the ever-growing demand for naturally sourced bottled water.
All Highland Spring Group’s waters are drawn from naturally renewable protected underground sources, constantly replenished by ample rainfall. As long as it continues to rain on Britain’s beautiful rural landscapes, Highland Spring Group will supply pure, natural bottled water to the UK and beyond.
With current turnover of £105m+, the business are looking to continue to grow with in the region of £130m+. Now bottling over 400 million litres of water a year, the Highland Spring Group produces brands including Highland Spring, Hydr8, and a range of private label flavoured and unflavoured waters for some of the UK’s major supermarkets and food service retailers. The Group now consists of three bottling plants and employs over 400 staff across the UK.
The Senior Commercial Financial Analyst is responsible for providing financial support to various stakeholders across the business – primarily in the Sales, Marketing and Operations functions. As well as delivering accurate and insightful analysis, the successful applicant will challenge the business to improve performance and support opportunities for profit growth.
- Act as the Finance business partner to the Commercial team, and provide value-adding analytical support and analysis to aid decision making
- Undertake profitability analysis to flag unusual trends and ensure optimal allocation of resources
- Lead on customer investment and promotional analysis
- Pro-actively develop reporting tools, performance packs and analytics on the commercial performance of the business
- Engage with colleagues from other areas of the business such as Supply Chain, Sales and Marketing to ensure new product launches are seamless in execution
- Assist with operational improvement projects including focusing on data analysis and process optimisation
- Ownership for commercial reporting of the promotional spend across the business including appraisal and monthly reconciliation to the Financial Ledger
- Financial analysis of new business opportunities, product changes and operational improvements
- Support the FP&A manager with complex commercial modelling and analysis
- Act as the “financial conscience” of the business and ensure Business and Financial Policy adherence – specifically holding departments to account on financial decisions
- Assist with Year-end process and provision of information for Statutory Accounts
- Enhance control environment to facilitate robust reporting
- Involvement in the Weekly/Monthly/Quarterly Forecasting Process and 5 year plan ensuring linkage with investment requirements
- Ownership of month end process, i.e. issuing monthly reporting packs, tracking accruals and reconciliation of the balance sheet accounts
- Deliver timely, accurate and compelling analytical reporting on the performance, comparing against budget/forecast/prior year in a number of areas including sales, promotional and marketing activity
- Lead role in preparing the Annual Budget and Quarterly Forecast for sales, promotions, customer investments and marketing activity
- Participate in projects and working groups and to carry out any other duties that maybe outside the standard remit for the purpose of personal development, reasonably required to ensure the outcomes are met
- Act as an integral part of wider finance team
- Part or Fully Qualified Accountant (CA, ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent), or qualified by experience
- Relevant experience working in a Commercial Finance team, preferably in an FMCG setting
- Experience in financial and modelling and budgeting/forecasting
- Experience in commercial modelling, preferably in FMCG setting
- Experience in monthly management reporting and balance sheet management
- Ability to engage with and influence people at all levels of the business
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Excellent analytical, interpretation, problem solving skills
- Strong Excel skills
- Determined and resilient with the drive to complete tasks
- Enthusiastic and pro-active, with a willingness to get involved, identify issues and make recommendations for improvement
- Natural team player who can work effectively in cross functional project teams
- Have a solid academic background with strong technical accounting skills
- Proven track record of growth, profitability, working capital and innovation
- Technical knowledge IT: MS Office products with advanced level in Excel
- Knowledge of business processes
- Attractive package commensurate with background and experience required for the role.
- Benefits include: Group Life Cover, Health Cash Plan, 34 days holiday (plus ability to buy up to 5 more), Hybrid Working, Pension Scheme, Costco Membership, Free tickets & prizes for sponsored events, Long Service Award
What to do Next
- To find out more on remuneration, the role or to see a full Position Profile, please contact their retained advisor, William Dodds at Rutherford Cross by emailing [email protected]
- Please note that any direct or third party approaches will be sent to Rutherford Cross for review and assessment