Rutherford Cross is delighted to be retained by Maven Capital to appoint a Property Accountant.
Maven Capital Partners (Maven) is an independent alternative asset manager, with over £630 million of assets under management and available to invest. Maven was formed in 2009 after a buyout of the Aberdeen Asset Management private equity business and operates from a nationwide network of regional offices.
Maven is one of the UK’s most active private equity managers in the lower mid-market, investing for a range of client funds including five Venture Capital Trusts (VCTs) and a number of regionally focused funds delivering equity and debt finance to UK SMEs. Maven also offers attractive investment opportunities for investors including tax-efficient investment into VCTs, and direct co-investment in private equity and property transactions.
Maven has a specialist property investment team with an established background in the sector and significant expertise in investment, development, asset management and financial structuring. The highly experienced property team have access to a range of interesting commercial and residential projects across the UK, many of which are introduced off-market, for investors who are looking for exposure to well-researched UK property transactions, offering the potential for attractive returns.
For more information please visit: https://www.mavencp.com
The role of Property Accountant, based in the Glasgow office, has been created as a result of continued growth of the firm’s property portfolio. The position reports to the Head of Property Accounting and will provide exposure to working closely with Maven’s property investment team.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a qualified accountant, to work with an exciting portfolio and to be involved at all stages of the investment process, from deal appraisal to deal completion, through the development phase and the holding phase of the asset through to exit.
The post-holder will take ownership for all aspects of financial control, accounts production, statutory and management reporting and tax compliance for a number of the firm’s property investments; this includes investments in hotels, student accommodation and office sectors. This is a varied role that offers exposure to a wide range of processes, tasks and responsibilities. Should the Property Accountant take ownership of their portfolio from start to finish and produce a high standard of output, there is genuine scope for career development.
The individual will be responsible for:
- Preparing financial and management reporting for various companies, limited liability partnerships and limited partnerships within the Property arm of the business
- Maintaining the financial ledgers and accounting processes in relation to the property entities ensuring that appropriate systems and internal controls are implemented and maintained
- Preparing budgets, forecasts and cash flows on a monthly basis
- Monitoring spend against budget for property deals in the “build” phase and escalating areas of concern/overspend
- Maintaining cost trackers for a number of property investments for which Maven acts as Asset Manager and reporting to and liaising with the Fund Manager during the “build” phase
- Timely production of statutory and internal/external financial reports
- Liaising with external audit and taking the statutory accounts through to audit completion for a small number of property entities where there is an audit requirement
- Cash management and treasury duties, including loan drawdowns and bank covenant reporting
- Preparing VAT returns/CIS returns
- Assisting in financial modelling and analysis
- Various ad hoc initiatives as directed by the Head of Property Accounting
- Providing cross-cover for the fund accountants when business needs dictate
The position requires a high calibre individual who has strong interpersonal skills, is detail orientated and possesses excellent technical knowledge. A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Qualified accountant (preferably CA)
- Significant experience of accounts preparation, financial accounting and management reporting
- Confident, a self-starter, with the ability to operate in a dynamic environment
- Ability to demonstrate outstanding attention to detail, good judgement showing logical decision making, and a hands-on approach
- Ability to work under pressure, manage deadlines and prioritise effectively
- Energy, drive, tenacity, professionalism and commitment
- Ability to work well in a team, but also capable of taking ownership for the delivery of specific tasks
- Computer literate with strong excel skills and solid understanding of accounting software principles
- Excellent time management and adherence to deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience as a property accountant is desirable but not necessary
Salary: Dependant on experience
Bonus: Discretionary annual bonus
Pension: Employer contribution 10% (Non-contributory pension scheme). Employees can, if they wish, contribute via Salary Exchange.
Holidays: 25 days plus eight public holidays
Medical Care: Private Medical Insurance, Income Protection Insurance
Life Cover: Death in Service
Professional Fees: Yes
Working Hours: 35 hours per week