Rutherford Cross is delighted to be partnering with Columba1400 to support them with the appointment of a part time Head of Finance (3 days per week). This role is 100% virtual and can be based anywhere in Scotland although it is preferable that in time you are able to travel occasionally to Edinburgh for Board meetings.
Columba 1400’s core purpose is to enable young people to discover their potential, they do this by working with them directly or by working with the key adults in their lives. They are now in their 20th year and have worked with over 10,000 young people and the key adults in their lives. The charity offers transformational leadership experiences that focus on values-based leadership. Its founding principles are warmth of welcome, warmth of hospitality and warmth of welcome.
Columba 1400 Leadership Academies take place in community and incorporates a residential element which mainly takes place at thier purpose-built Leadership centre in Staffin on the Isle of Skye. Columba 1400 is a growing, adaptable organisation committed to innovation enabling them to reach more young people and the key adults in their lives.
Columba 1400 is now looking to recruit an experienced Part Time Head of Finance to lead the finance function, interpret data to help inform key decision making to ensure they can continue to adapt their vital work so they can reach more young people and the key adults in their lives.
It is preferable that the successful candidate will be a qualified accountant however candidates who are qualified by experience will also be considered. You will have experience of financial management gained either in the Third Sector or Industry and will understand Fund Accounting. The successful candidate will look at creative ways to drive efficiencies and also be imaginative in their general approach and be committed to innovation. The Head of Finance has responsibility to develop and maintain relationships, policies and processes which are in the best interests of Columba1400 and to maximise effectiveness to realise all strategic goals. Key responsibilities include:
- Work collaboratively with the CEO and Leadership Team to shape future organisational strategy and plans which drive impact and sustainability over time
- Production of timely financial information and reports (management accounts, cashflow forecast and reserves tracking) to inform ongoing management of service delivery
- Maintain financial strategy based on full cost recovery business modelling tool to support the strategic plan with quarterly operational forecasts to reflect ongoing and planned activity
- Ensure a robust control framework for finance which continues to build on best practice, continually improving systems to meet evolving business need and technological opportunity. This will also include migrating finance from Sage to Xero
- Lead, coach and motivate one direct report to deliver a high-quality service for and with colleagues, suppliers and other stakeholders
- Maintain and developing key relations with internal and external stakeholders including the external auditors and suppliers
- Prepare budgets, support fundraising applications and procurement
- Overseeing furlough claims, VAT returns and gift aid claims
- Ensure the charity has a sufficiently robust risk framework and to maintain the risk register
- Act as the Procurement lead for the charity with responsibility for contract management
The role will be 100% virtual, however it is preferred that the successful candidate is able to occasionally travel to Edinburgh to meet with the Leadership Team and for Governance meetings, when it is safe to do so. The successful candidate would be expected to travel to Skye at least twice a year once for team time and for the June Trustees Meeting and the Annual General Meeting.
Preferred Candidate Background
You will be a fully qualified accountant with a proven track record of robust financial management gained preferably within the charitable or third sector, although candidates from a commercial background as well as being a qualified by experience with the passion and motivation to join Columba1400 will also be considered. With direct involvement in providing financial information and analysis to allow informed decision making you will also be an accomplished communicator able to build and maintain strong working relationships with a range of stakeholders.
Key Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Relevant experience of successfully leading and managing members of staff encouraging a culture of continuous improvement and individual and team development
- Excellent track record in financial reporting and forecasting including preparation and analysis of monthly management accounts and the preparation and monitoring of annual budgets / forecasts and long-term financial plans
- Ensure the organisation's effective management of its resources to meet the organisational strategy and to support where required with fundraising and budgets
- Direct experience of presenting financial information to both financial and non- financial audiences coupled with the ability to ‘talk finance’ in a language that the business understands
- Demonstrable track record in establishing and developing strategic partnerships with external organisations including statutory and charity/voluntary sectors.
- Experience in successful project development and management and excellent organisational and planning skills, with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent understanding of financial governance and risk
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Previous experience of continuous improvement and developing robust financial controls, systems and procedures
- Commitment to Columba 1400 mission and values with a desire to make a positive difference to young people and the key adults in their lives
- Empathic and motivational leader who strives to get the best from their team
- Ability to lead on multiple projects simultaneously and achieve timely results
- Creative and committed to learning, forward looking and solution-focused
- Strong communicator with the ability to build strong, impactful relationships with all stakeholders
- Strategic with the ability to see the bigger picture as well as having the desire to roll up your sleeves when required
This is a retained role, all third party applications will be forwarded to Georgina Millyard at Rutherford Cross.