Headquartered in Glasgow, our client has seen significant growth in recent years. New initiatives and the development of new routes to market have seen excellent financial results and a significant increase in headcount to over 400 staff across the organisation.
Due to this rapid business expansion, the company is looking to appoint a Head of Internal Audit to develop an Internal Audit function. The main focus of this role will be the assessment and improvement of the risk and controls framework across all business activities. The role is to support the provision of assurance to shareholders through the Audit Committee, to the Leadership Team and to functional management.
Reporting to the Director of Risk and Audit, with a dotted line report to the Chair of the Audit Committee, it is a broad and highly visible role requiring an individual of the highest calibre. Applicants will require exceptional communication, analytical and relationship management skills.
Please note that applicants requiring part-time or reduced hours working patterns will also be considered.
The Head of Internal Audit is a key member of the senior team and interfaces with Sales, Finance, Operations and IT, Human Resources, External Audit. The role is “stand alone” but this may grow as the business expands.
The overriding focus within this role will be to provide independent assurance that the risk and controls framework is efficient and effective across the organisation.
The main duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Develop and manage Internal Audit standards and procedures
- Develop and drive the Internal Audit agenda within the wider business to raise the profile of the function
- Establish and manage the planning of the annual Audit Plan, as approved by the Audit Committee
- Undertake internal audit reviews based on the annual Audit Plan, reviewing business processes and recommending efficiency improvements
- Provide assurance on management controls and make recommendations for improvement
- Support the Director of Risk and Audit to undertake project work as and when required
- Provide independent advice and counsel to the external Audit Committee member
The position incorporates a blend of responsibilities requiring a confident individual with strong technical background in either internal or external audit. It is essential that the individual comes from a large firm/business background where they will have a firm awareness of best practice approaches to risk management and internal controls. It is likely that the individual will be CA/ACA qualified and, ideally, have trained with a Big 4 or large accountancy practice. However, the nature of the role may also lend itself to candidates who are Internal Audit professionals (e.g. IIA qualified) and trained in an industry environment.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Degree educated
- Qualified accountant or Internal Audit professional with appropriate post-qualification experience
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills combined with business acumen, pragmatism and a good sense of diplomacy
- Proven ability to build relationships at all levels
- Highly developed oral, written and presentation skills
- Motivated self-starter with a flexible working attitude
- A strong team player, with a desire to make a significant contribution to the Risk and Audit department
- Excellent IT skills including MS office and a good working knowledge of accounting systems in a large organisation
In addition to a generous salary, the company also a number of other excellent benefits including a bonus up to 30% of salary, non-contributory pension and private healthcare (family).
What To Do Next
To apply or for a confidential discussion, please contact our retained advisor Mark Lewis at Rutherford Cross. Please note that any direct or third party applications will be passed to Rutherford Cross for review and assessment.