Rutherford Cross is delighted to be partnering with Willow Den to recruit a Part time Head of Finance for a fixed term period of 12-18 months. Willow Den are an ambitious start up organisation offering outdoor nature-based early learning and childcare (ELC) to children aged 3-5 years, in a range of locations across Scotland. Founded in 2020 by Inspiring Scotland, Willow Den is focused on increasing the availability and accessibility of outdoor early learning across Scotland, enabling more children to thrive outdoors and it’s mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of children in Scotland through access to fully outdoor Early Learning and Childcare.
The Head of Finance is a Senior position reporting directly to the CEO and you will play an active role in supporting the delivery of the organisation’s strategy, particularly in relation to financial management, sustainability, and growth. A summary of some of the key responsibilities are below:
- Lead the day-to-day management of the finance function including recruiting and line manage admin/finance staff
- Implement effective controls to support the integrity of financial information
- Review the business performance and provide effective, accurate, and timely accounting and performance measurement information to the CEO, Senior Team, and Board
- Prepare monthly management and annual statutory accounts
- Prepare and present annual budgets in conjunction with the CEO; review and report on those budgets on a regular basis to any Finance Committee and the Board, particularly the income and expenditure of the business and variances to the budget
- Lead the financial management, cash flow planning, and capital adequacy within the business
- Attend Board meetings and prepare and present relevant papers
- Lead the preparation of reports to stakeholders and other strategic partners; including on-going reporting to those investors and partners
- Lead and support where required on IT system development and implementation
- Lead on tender applications for funding applications and subsequent data requirements using local authority systems
This role will suit a Finance Leader who enjoys the challenge of working with a start-up and is focused on achieving business growth. Hands on experience of budgeting, risk management, forecasting and analysis will be key as well as being able to show a flexible approach and find creative solutions. Prior experience of recruiting and building a team will be important as well as having an in-depth understanding of cashflow management. This role will be part time (3 days per week) and is offering great flexibility.