Rutherford Cross launches search for a Head of Business Planning & Analysis, reporting to Chief Finance Officer of AGS Airports Limited. The job is to be based at Glasgow Airport, and has responsibility for one direct report and one indirect report.
The Head of Business Planning & Analysis will lead the Business Planning & Analysis finance function reporting to the Chief Financial Officer. The purpose of this role is to lead this team to implement effective business processes and procedures, providing the group with excellent accurate financial information and projections to enable it to achieve its future short- and long-term goals.
The post-holder will be responsible for producing the required analytical data to allow the business to assess the validity of current financial arrangements as well as complete financial modelling regarding potential future opportunities.
The Head of Business Planning & Analysis will be a truly commercially focused Business Partner providing forward looking analytical support. Key to the role is taking ownership for providing accurate and timely analytical support to the Chief Financial Officer and Executive regarding annual budgets, monthly forecasts, business cases and other opportunities.
The role is an important contributor to the AGS Group Finance function and trusted to produce critical short to medium term financial plans. It requires a clear understanding of the business strategy, competitive pressures and the necessary financial arrangements required to achieve its goals.
Key stakeholder relationships will include:
- Business Planning & Analysis Analyst & Manager (direct report)
- Chief Financial Officer
- Board & Audit Committee
- Finance Department
- Business Unit Managers
An overview of the required skills, experience and behaviours is as follows:
- Ability to influence
- Strong relationship building skills
- First rate analytical skills
- Prior experience of senior leadership
- Strong financial acumen
- A proven track record in a challenging commercial environment
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for setting up the financial models for and leading the Annual Budgeting process, working with a team of professionals including the budget holders and Financial Analysts to prepare an approved annual budget by 10th December each year
- Utilising the systems where possible to improve the annual budgeting and forecasting cycles
- Ensuring that the team meet with the budget holders monthly to analyse variance to the budget and prepare a narrative for inclusion in the monthly reports. The timing of this will be developed in conjunction with the CFO, Head of Accounting & Reporting and Financial Controller
- Following the publishing of the month-end results a monthly roll forward forecast of the EBITDA will be produced
- Two formal bottom-up forecasts will be produced each year
- Ensure the five-year Long-Term Business Plan is reviewed and rolled forward each year.
- Prepare formal financial analysis and supporting financial historical information for all business case preparation
- Prepare formal papers for the Executive, Audit Committee and Board as required
- Complete all risk assessments as required.
- Partnering with the Head of Accounting & Reporting to review the outcome of business cases to confirm that expected income and costs have transferred into actual outcomes in the profit and loss account
- Detailed review of income and cost elements as required to ensure completeness of income and accuracy of forecasted costs
- Leading the preparation of the annual Conditions of Use
- Supervising and appraising the Manager of Business Planning & Analysis
- Continually challenge current thinking and make recommendations on how to optimise business opportunities and minimise risk/cost to the business
- Develop a robust but flexible financial modelling tool for the organisation for consideration by the business utilising the existing systems as far as possible
AGS Airports Limited is looking to appoint a driven and experienced, business planning leader to support the company in navigating through a period of significant change. The aviation industry has faced unprecedented challenges since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. The enforced restrictions have resulted in fundamental operational changes. The roll out of the vaccine throughout 2021 and the gradual lifting of restrictions should indicate the resurgence of demand for travel and as such the 5-year plan is to return to pre COVID-19 financial results. The Head of Business Planning & Analysis will play a key role in navigating this journey.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Previous experience heading up a Business Planning function with proven abilities in producing accurate budgets, forecast and long- term plans.
- Qualified accountant (ACA/CIMA/ACCA or equivalent)
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to effectively problem solve and follow through to resolution
- Significant excel modelling skills to be able to develop robust business models and templates so that the financial budgets and forecasts can be prepared accurately, efficiently and can be audited easily.
- Commercially astute with a proven record in leading successful businesses.
- Ability to build strong, open and communicative working relationships across all areas of the business is essential.
- Working knowledge of accounting and capital accounting processes.
- High level of working knowledge of MS Office applications, Excel in particular,
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral
- Experience of effectively communicating to and interacting with colleagues at all levels, including senior managers
- Ability to effectively organise work and perform well under pressure with minimal supervision
- Experience in working and delivering to tight timetables
The position will offer a competitive package up to £75,000 depending on experience, plus car allowance, a generous pension scheme, bonus up to 25%, private medical for self and family, as well as duty free shopping and free parking at all times.