Rutherford Cross is currently exclusively engaged on a Group Accountant role with The Weir Group PLC in Glasgow.
Weir Group is a highly regarded FTSE 250, Glasgow headquartered engineering business with a global footprint spanning over 70 countries. The company employs more than 14,000 people and is organised into three sector focused divisions: Minerals, Oil & Gas and Flow Control.
With an auspicious history in Glasgow industry the company has in recent year’s undergone significant growth both operationally and in terms of its geographical footprint. In 2015, the Group reported profits before tax, exceptional items and intangibles amortisation, of £220m against revenue of £1.9bn. These are impressive results, particularly during an extended period of general economic uncertainty, and unprecedented downturn in minerals and oil markets more specifically, which have required the Group to act proactively to mitigate the impact on the business.
Certainly, Weir Group represents a true global success story headquartered in Scotland. The new Glasgow city centre purpose built headquarters comprises some 90 professionals including the Board of Directors, Group Heads of Tax, Treasury, Internal Audit, Company Secretary/Legal, Procurement, IS, IR, Strategy and Business Development, HR and Finance.
An opportunity has arisen for an ambitious individual to join the business in the role of Group Accountant. The role will have a number of characteristics including management and statutory reporting responsibilities as well as working with functional heads to analyse and investigate data. Reporting to the Group Accounting Manager, it is a broad and highly visible role both within and outside the business requiring an individual of the highest calibre; it will be essential to communicate across business units globally and with senior business leaders.
The Weir Group represents an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated qualified accountant and as one of Scotland’s few remaining listed companies, exposes the successful individual to the unique environment of a plc business.
The Group Accountant is a key member of finance and will be one of a team of seven qualified accountants in Group Finance. Reporting to the Group Accounting Manager, the position incorporates a blend of statutory accounting, management reporting and analysis and financial reporting requiring interaction with the Group Financial Controller, Group Executive Team, Operations and external advisors
An overview of core responsibilities includes:
- Involvement in the statutory accounts process at both half and full year end;
- Liaise with advisers including external auditors and tax advisers;
- Assessing, reporting and advising on developments in accounting standards and implications for the Group;
- Preparation, review and analysis of subsidiary accounts as required;
- Working with legal, tax and company secretarial on corporate structure changes and ad hoc projects
Management Reporting and Analysis
- Consolidation and review of monthly management information;
- Preparation, review and provision of financial management information to senior management including the Group Executive;
- Preparation and analytical review of relevant sections in monthly management accounts, including interrogation of underlying financials;
- Consolidation of quarterly budgets and forecasts in conjunction with divisional finance teams;
- Preparation, analytical review and challenge of relevant sections of budgets, forecasts and strategic plans;
- Analysis, evaluation and reporting of key financial information and preparation of material for reporting to the City at half and full year;
- Occasional visits to other sites requiring a degree of national and international travel
- Involvement in ad hoc improvement projects as required (e.g. assisting the implementation of new accounting standards across the Group);
- Involvement in other corporate activity and preparation of financial information as required by Group Finance and Executive Directors across the business
The position incorporates a blend of management reporting, analysis and financial reporting requiring a confident individual with strong technical skills and interpersonal ability. As this is a Group role, experience of engineering or manufacturing industries, although useful, is not a specific criterion. It is likely the individual will come from a large firm/business background where they will be experienced in the consolidation, reporting, system and control requirements of large blue chip companies.
It is likely that the individual will be CA/ACA qualified and, ideally, will have trained with a Big 4 accountancy practice. Applicants will be considered either making their first move from the profession or already operating in a similar capacity within industry. Certainly, it is essential that candidates display all the required personal characteristics, especially in demonstrating confidence, self-motivation and an ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels across the business.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Degree educated with a track record of high academic achievement.
- Qualified Accountant (CA/ACA) with relevant post qualification experience with around 2-4 years PQE.
- Understanding of IFRS and UK accounting standards, with knowledge of recent and upcoming developments
- Understanding of statutory disclosures, plc reporting and other compliance requirements
- Experience of consolidation systems, management and statutory reporting
- Experience of reporting to and liaising with senior management
- Energy, drive, tenacity, professionalism and commitment
- Confidence and strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentational communication skills
Basic salary of £45,000- £55,000 (depending on experience) with an annual bonus of up to 30% and additional benefits such as pension and private health care etc.
What to do next:
To apply, for a confidential discussion, please contact our advisor John Ramsay at Rutherford Cross at [email protected] or 0141 6117770
Please note that all third party or direct applications will be forwarded to Rutherford Cross for inclusion in the assessment process.