Weir Group is a FTSE 100 global engineering business headquartered in Glasgow. The company’s global footprint spans more than 70 countries and employs more than 15,000 people. With an auspicious history in Glasgow industry the company has in recent year’s undergone significant growth both operationally and in terms of its geographical footprint. Weir Group is organised into three sector focused divisions in high growth markets: Minerals, Oil & Gas and Power & Industrial.
Weir Group has reported continuing strong revenue and profit growth in recent years. In 2013, the Group reported profits before tax, exceptional items and intangibles amortisation, of £418m (£187m in 2009) against revenue of over £2.4bn (£1.4bn in 2009). These are highly impressive results, especially during an extended period of general economic uncertainty and at a time when the Scotland has seen a marked reduction in the number of listed companies. Certainly, Weir Group represents a true global success story headquartered in Scotland.
The Glasgow city centre headquarters comprises some 75 professionals including the Board of Directors, Group Heads of Tax, Treasury, Internal Audit, Company Secretary/Legal, Procurement, IS, IR, Strategy and Business Development, HR and Finance.
Due to recent changes in the Group Finance team a position has become available for an ambitious individual to join the business in key position. The role will have a number of characteristics including management and statutory reporting responsibilities, involvement in key finance projects as well as working with functional heads to analyse and investigate data. Reporting to the Group Accounting Manager, it is a broad and highly visible role both within and outside the business requiring an individual of the highest calibre; it will be essential to communicate across business units globally and with senior business leaders.
The Weir Group represents an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated qualified accountant having displayed strong revenue and profit growth in recent years and, as one of Scotland’s few remaining listed companies, exposes the successful individual to the unique environment of a plc business. In addition, Weir will provide a firm career platform with excellent future opportunities for personal development and progression within the Group.
The Group Accountant is a key member of finance and will be one of a team of four qualified accountants in Group Finance. Reporting to the Group Accounting Manager, the position incorporates a blend of statutory accounting, management reporting and analysis, financial reporting and project management requiring interaction with the Group Financial Controller, Group Executive Team, Operations and external advisors. The main duties and responsibilities are:
- Involvement in the statutory accounts process at both half and full year end.
- Liaise with advisers including external auditors and pension advisers.
- Assessing, reporting and advising on developments in accounting standards and implications for the Group.
- Preparation, review and analysis of subsidiary accounts as required.
- Working with legal, tax and company secretarial on corporate structure changes and ad hoc projects
Management Reporting and Analysis
- Consolidation and review of monthly management information.
- Preparation, review and provision of financial management information to senior management including the Group Executive.
- Preparation and analytical review of relevant sections in monthly management accounts, including interrogation of underlying financials.
- Consolidation of quarterly budgets and forecasts in conjunction with divisional finance teams.
- Preparation, analytical review and challenge of relevant sections of budgets, forecasts and strategic plans.
- Analysis, evaluation and reporting of key financial information and preparation of material for reporting to the City at half and full year.
- Occasional visits to other sites requiring a small degree of national and international travel.
- Involvement in ad hoc improvement projects as required (e.g. assisting the implementation of new accounting standards across the Group).
- Involvement in implementation of Management Information (MI) project including design of appropriate dashboards and exception reports.
- Involvement in other corporate activity and preparation of financial information as required by Group Finance and Executive Directors across the business.
- Development of the Group consolidation tool (Cognos).
The position incorporates a blend of management reporting and analysis, financial reporting and project management requiring a confident individual with strong technical skills and interpersonal ability. As this is a Group role, experience of engineering or manufacturing industries, although useful, is not a specific criterion, but industry experience would be beneficial. It is likely the individual will come from a large firm/business background where they will be experienced in the consolidation, reporting, system and control requirements of large blue chip companies.
It is essential that the individual is CA/ACA qualified and, ideally, will have trained with a Big 4 accountancy practice. Applicants will be considered either making their first move from the profession or already operating in a similar capacity within industry. Certainly, it is essential that candidates display all the required personal characteristics, especially in demonstrating confidence, self-motivation and an ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels across the business.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Building strong relationships.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Creative thinker with excellent problem solving and analytical abilities.
Knowledge & Experience
- Understanding of IFRS and UK accounting standards, with knowledge of recent and upcoming developments.
- Understanding of statutory disclosures, plc reporting and other compliance requirements.
- Understanding of consolidation systems, management and statutory reporting.
- Experience of reporting to and liaising with senior management.
Education & Qualifications
- Degree educated with a track record of high academic achievement.
- CA/ACA qualified with around 2-4 years’ PQE.
- Energy, drive, tenacity, professionalism and commitment.
- Confidence and strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentational communication skills.
- High achiever.
In addition to a generous salary of £45,000 – £55,000 per annum (depending on experience), the company also a number of other benefits including a bonus up to 30% of salary, defined contribution pension, life assurance, private healthcare and 25 days holidays plus 9 statutory days.
What To Do Next
To apply or for a confidential discussion, please contact our retained advisor Mark Lewis at Rutherford Cross. Please note that any direct or third party applications will be passed to Rutherford Cross for review and assessment.