Snappy Shopper’s vision is to democratise technology and protect local community businesses by enabling them to become a “light store” providing a local home delivery service. The company’s belief is that society is better when local communities thrive. Snappy Shopper champions the community retailer, who’s there for the grandads, the mothers, the students, when they need a delivery from local store to door. Snappy Shopper dares to challenge and disrupt the dark side of the multinationals and the faceless dark operators who threaten our local retailers.
Snappy Shopper is a technology led Q-Commerce solution provider, delivering £140m of annualised sales for our 1700 business partners.
- Today the business has two verticals, Snappy Shopper and Hungrrr, operating in the growing UK convenience grocery sector and the hospitality sector respectively.
- Launched in Dundee in December 2017, Snappy Shopper's UK wide app and website lets consumers order from their local store, with delivery by the store’s own drivers in as little as 30 minutes.
- Hungrrr, launched in 2016, offers restaurants, hotels, and stadia solutions to take online orders. The platform’s white label functionality can be tailored to each client, which has proven attractive to businesses such as Hilton and Subway.
- To achieve its vision, the business must continue to provide the best on demand software. A solution that is simple for both the retailer and end-user, that builds long-term customer loyalty and can scale globally.
Snappy Shopper’s three-year strategy is to win in Convenience in the UK and then evolve and cross-sell from this category to the rest of the Digital High Street. The business intends on winning market share in the UK as rapidly as possible starting with small towns then cities by working with independent and group Retailers to serve as their tech solution for online orders.
Despite Snappy Shopper being at an early stage in its lifecycle the business is led by an executive team with a wealth of talent and experience which reflects the company’s ambitions. This includes:
- Mike Callachan, Founder and CEO
- Alan Reid, Founder and CTO
- Barry McGonagle, CFO, formerly Finance Director of Skyscanner
- Mark Steven, COO, formerly Managing Director of Scotfresh
- Lisa Venter, Group Operations Director, formerly Global Marketing Operations Executive of Skyscanner
- Caroline MacGregor, Chief People Officer, formerly Head of Enablement and Change of Philip Morris International
- Justin King, Investor and Strategic Advisor, formerly CEO of Sainsbury’s
Background to the Current Opportunity
The convenience home delivery sector has grown significantly over the past two years, with the pandemic driving shopper habits towards online. Snappy Shopper is focused on the partnership model with local retailers and that is what sets it apart in the marketplace.
The company’s impressive and ambitious executive team headed up by Mike Callachan, CEO has recently amassed £19.4 million of funding. PayPoint lead the investment with £6.6 million funding and the other investors that participated in the investment round include Highland Tech, Justin King, Maven Capital Partners, Kelvin Capital and Scottish Enterprise and existing investor Mercia Asset Management. With this round, the company is now valued at over £65 million.
The company has recently appointed Barry McGonagle, formerly of Skyscanner, as CFO. As the business prepares for a period of high-growth Barry is keen to appoint a Financial Controller and an FP&A Manager.
The company represents an excellent opportunity for a motivated and proven FP&A Manager who wants to work for one of Scotland’s most exciting technology scale ups. Snappy Shopper provides the prospect of working for a high-growth PE backed business, with tremendous ambitions, offering scope for great career development as the business grows. This is an exceptional opportunity to join a unique Q Commerce sector company and contribute to its future success by playing a key role in its journey.
The FP&A Manager will take the lead in building financial planning & analysis capabilities at Snappy Shopper including financial modelling and budgeting.
The role represents a rare and exciting opportunity to grow along with one of Scotland’s most exciting technology scale ups. As a key part of a developing finance function within a high growth start-up there is a high degree of fluidity around this role as well as others being recruited into the function. As such, the successful candidate will be adaptable, take ownership and willing to turn their hand to a range of problems whether they’ve encountered them before or not.
The duties set out below is the intended scope of the position, but it is anticipated that priorities and deliverables will shift regularly based on business need and also the candidate’s strengths and preferences.
Thus, the responsibilities listed below are directional rather than fixed:
- Work with the CFO to develop and build a first-class FP&A operation from the ground up to support business growth
- Take ownership of financial modelling required to support real time business decision making
- Take ownership of the integrated rolling forecast to support financial planning and facilitate future funding rounds
- Lead delivery of the annual budget and also take a lead role in supporting the business to achieve budget and related performance indicators
- Take a lead role in scoping and implementing new systems and tooling within finance to improve efficiency and quality
- Take a lead role in developing the real time reporting tools around the business, leveraging existing and building on existing data and data structures to power decision making
- Work with the Financial Controller to prepare and present the monthly management accounts and board packs
- Own relationships with key stakeholders including interdepartmental peers and investors
- Develop and implement scalable and automated financial processes across the business
- As a start-up the future is ever changing, and you will be involved in wide-ranging projects supporting the CFO and the executive management team including but not limited to external fundraising and M&A
The role of FP&A Manager requires a professionally qualified accountant who possesses excellent analytical skills, the ability to build productive relationships and the determination to play a key role in a fast-growing business. It is likely that the individual will have demonstrated a high level of achievement in their career to date, showing an eagerness to develop exposure to commercial finance responsibilities in a previous role.
Success in this role is more about mind-set and approach than it is technical qualification or experience. The key candidate requirements for the position include:
- Strong work ethic, resilience and ability to navigate change
- Hands-on mentality, willing to roll your sleeves up
- Naturally curious and willingness to learn, grow and develop
- Low ego and high empathy
- Entrepreneurial mind-set, comfortable in highly ambiguous environment and able to independently take responsibility from day one
- Able to operate in quickly changing environments whilst being well organised, pro-active and deadline driven
- Highly developed analytical skills, able to provide insightful, accurate analysis of complex financial data
- Strong presentation skills, able to use PowerPoint or similar products to develop high quality reports
- Experience of problem solving and implementing process improvements (e.g. efficient design of Excel reports
- Experience of an annual budgeting process
- Practical experience with a range of finance or / and modelling software
- Experience of improving systems, tooling and processes within a finance environment
- Experience in a similar high growth technology environment a strong plus point but not essential
- 3+ years' post qualification experience of working in a FP&A, financial modelling, data analyst or forecasting role
Salary: £55,000 – £70,000
Company Pension: NEST pension: 5% employee, 3% employer
Holiday Entitlement: 28 days including public holidays, plus Birthday Day off. Snappy is currently reviewing the holiday entitlement in Q1 this year.
Bonus / Share Scheme: Bonus and share scheme entitlement to be confirmed. Both are currently being reviewed as part of a wider Reward project that Snappy is undertaking in Q1 this year.
Additional Benefits: Paid professional membership fees
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Location: Hybrid working from home and office. The successful candidate should expect to spend time in the company’s new Dundee HQ, indicatively 2 days per week on average, but with flexibility depending on business needs and the candidate’s working preference. The role may be home based initially depending on start date.