Bute Energy Limited has built up a market-leading pipeline of Energy Park projects in Wales, constituting the largest onshore renewables development portfolio in the UK. The business’s Energy Parks will combine the latest technology for onshore wind and solar generation to provide projects with some of the lowest Levelised Cost of Energy in the UK.
We have partnered with Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP), whose investment will allow us to accelerate the development of our portfolio and bring significant supply chain and economic benefits to Wales. With an ambitious programme of deliverables for the year ahead, Bute is growing its existing team to drive the business through the next stages of consenting and delivery.
At Bute, our core values of courage, passion, community, and integrity are central to our mission to work towards a sustainable world, now and for future generations; and to deliver green energy generation and infrastructure that benefits local communities and society as a whole.
We are a business that truly has people at the heart of everything we do, and we work hard to ensure that our people are supported and encouraged to succeed. We are proud of our culture and values and strive to ensure that every one of our people have that "feeling of belonging” and can bring their whole selves to work. This is an exciting opportunity to join a high growth business and contribute to helping Wales reach its Net Zero targets.
The Financial Controller (Investments) will manage a team of three Cardiff-based colleagues and be responsible for the following in relation to a portfolio of 20+ Single Purpose Companies (“SPC’s”), which are being developed in partnership with - and funded by - Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (“CIP”):
- Developing strong working relationships with the Onshore Projects team, Board of Directors and Investment Partner
- Providing accurate and insightful financial analysis and commentary to stakeholders
- Ensuring compliance with all obligations under the CIP Investment Partnership framework and all Companies Act, VAT and Corporation Tax obligations
- Maintaining a current level of technical awareness and expertise in all areas of financial reporting
- Leading, motivating and developing the team, ensuring regular 1-2-1s and performance management are in place, scoping opportunities for development and aligning personal and professional goals with overall team and business deliverables
- Ensuring that all financial commitments are properly procured and authorised in compliance with agreed authorisation limits
- Preparing the Annual Development Expenditure Budgets and controlling subsequent budget amendments
- Preparing Quarterly Development Expenditure forecasts and Development Loan utilisation requests
- Preparing Actual -v- Budget development expenditure reports and supporting analysis and commentary for the FD to present at bi-monthly SPC Board Meetings
- Preparing Quarterly Management Accounts, supported by relevant balance sheet reconciliations
- Reviewing and approving monthly VAT Returns prior to submission to HMRC
- Reviewing and approving supplier payment runs, ensuring suppliers are paid on time
- Preparing individual and consolidated Statutory Accounts and liaising with external auditors through to signing and filing
- Involvement in identifying and implementing process improvements across the business, including the identification and development of software utilisation
- Adopting and updating financial policies and procedures for the company (as appropriate)
- Working with the FD and Financial Controller (Operations) on key projects such as strategic plans to deliver future growth / M&A / capital raise processes
- Fully qualified Accountant (CA / ACA / ACCA / CIMA)
- Experience as a Finance Controller (or similar) within a corporate or SME environment
- Able to work on a wide range of projects using your own initiative with little direction
- Commercially minded, and comfortable to challenge current thinking and enable positive change
- Highly collaborative and comfortable working as part of a small, dedicated and highly motivated team
- Strong experience of excel modelling of budgets, forecasting and business opportunities
- Strong technical accountancy skills
- Awareness of corporate tax issues relevant to the Bute Energy business
- Outstanding at analysis of data and drawing strong commercial conclusions
- Excellent communicator of financial information to senior management and non-finance colleagues, with the ability to build strong relationships with key business colleagues
- Keen attention to detail and desire to identify and drive process improvements
- Analytical, innovative and reflective thinker who utilises information to drive business-critical decisions
- Highly organised, comfortable with ambiguity, able to show initiative and adapt as business priorities change
- Able to manage and prioritise both long- and short-term objectives
Attractive package commensurate with background and experience required for the role. For more information on remuneration, please contact Will Dodds.
What To Do Next:
- To find out more on remuneration, the role or to see a full Position Profile, please contact their retained advisor, Will Dodds at Rutherford Cross by emailing [email protected].
- Please note that any direct or third party approaches will be sent to Rutherford Cross for review and assessment.