Rutherford Cross is currently retained on a Financial Controller role with City Facilities Management (UK) Ltd part of City Refrigeration Holdings (UK) Ltd.
City Refrigeration Holdings (UK) Ltd is one of Scotland’s largest and most successful privately owned businesses. Founded in 1985, City started by supplying technical services to the licensed trade, but it was the move into Facilities Management in 1995 which really accelerated the growth of the business.
In 1997, City was chosen as sole supplier of facilities management services to ASDA stores nationwide and over the next five years the business grew to 7,000 employees on this contract alone. Today City Refrigeration Holdings (UK) Ltd has grown to employ over 13,000 people and has a turnover around £500 million per annum. This is delivered through a number of specialist divisions both in the UK and internationally, firstly in Australia and then in Asia. Most recently, the organisation has announced the opening of their North American operations and has selected Jacksonville as its U.S. based headquarters with the creation of over 360 jobs.
City Facilities Management (UK) Ltd is a “ring fenced” company providing services exclusively to ASDA. This means City FM do not work for any other clients and are completely focused on providing service excellence to ASDA. As a result, City FM shares ASDA’s culture and values and is effectively an extension of the ASDA business in providing a one stop shop for all services. City FM has responsibility for the Facilities Management and Cleaning of hundreds of retail sites in the UK. Services include a wide range of disciplines including refrigeration, electrical, heating, pest control, landscaping, etc.
The Financial Controller role is based at the Head Office in Glasgow and is the number two to the Finance Director within the City FM business. With revenues of c£200 million and a team of over 30 staff, it is a key finance role within a dynamic and hugely important part of the business requiring an individual of the highest calibre. The requirement has arisen due to the retirement of the current Financial Controller later this year.
Reporting to the Financial Director, the position incorporates a combination of technical accounting, staff supervision and stakeholder management requiring interaction with City FM finance, Head Office finance, operations, customers and external advisors.
An overview of core responsibilities includes:
- Oversee the running of a busy finance department including line management of department managers
- Co-ordinate staff development and deliver staff appraisals, PDP’s and regular 1 to 1’s
- Preparation of monthly management accounts and annual statutory accounts
- Presentation at monthly senior managers meeting
- Support operational field management across all areas of the business
- Coordinate preparation of all annual budgets
- Day to day control over all aspects of P&L and Balance Sheet
- All aspects of tax compliance including Corporation Tax, VAT, CIS and employee related taxes
- Deal with ad hoc customer requests within required deadlines
- Working capital management
- Develop financial reporting to increase value to the business
- Lead contact with external auditors during fieldwork
- Continuous review of business processes impacting finance, liaising with other areas of the business to effect change where necessary
The Financial Controller position incorporates a combination of accounting, staff supervision and stakeholder management requiring a high calibre individual who is strong interpersonally, self-motivated, flexible and possesses excellent technical skills. A background in a related industry would be useful, but more important is that the individual is experienced in the accounting, commercial and operational requirements of a customer focused, fast-paced company.
The business is looking for a high calibre individual on the upward curve of their career with scope to progress into more senior roles over time. With City’s culture of promoting from within, they are positioning this hire as an individual who would be in contention for a Finance Director level role in the future, either locally or internationally.
- Degree educated with a track record of high academic achievement.
- Qualified Accountant with relevant post qualification experience (minimum 5 years)
- On the upward curve of their career and a potential Finance Director of the future
- Proven career track record of success, ideally gained within other large, fast paced business environments
- Proven track record in managing sizable finance teams
- Excellent technical foundation in accounting and taxation
- Confidence and strong interpersonal skills, especially when interfacing with senior management, internal/external stakeholders or customers
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and motivate staff to do likewise
- Self-motivated and capable of developing the current role over time
Basic salary of c£60,000 - £70,000 (depending on experience) with an additional car allowance of £8,000, 10% bonus and additional benefits such as pension and private health care etc.
What to do next:
To apply, for a confidential discussion, please contact our advisor John Ramsay at Rutherford Cross at [email protected] or 0141 6117770
Please note that all third party or direct applications will be forwarded to Rutherford Cross for inclusion in the assessment process.