ALS is building the UK’s leading dental manufacturing business. It was created in 2019 by Ansor LLP partners Peter Strafford and Peter Marson. They identified that the dental laboratory industry was on the cusp of transformation with the potential to improve products and solutions for dentists and patients whilst delivering significant growth and value by building a large dental laboratory group.
Dental manufacturing is undergoing a rapid transformation from a fragmented industry of small laboratories staffed by experienced dental technicians making crowns, bridges, and other dental products by hand to a world of digital workflows and large-scale automated production involving intra-oral scanning, 3D printing and robotics.
ALS’s goal is to build the UK’s leading, most innovative and technologically advanced dental manufacturing group, positively disrupting the industry and advancing its capability by integrating progressive businesses, advanced technologies and skilled people.
ALS currently has a revenue run rate of £40million with strong underlying EBITDA and is targeting revenues of £100million + by 2025. The company is currently expanding to have nationwide UK coverage and plans to enter the international laboratory market. ALS is on the acquisition trail, having grown from start-up at the end of 2019, to currently 15 laboratories, through a mixture of acquisition and organic growth in the Crown and Bridge, and Orthodontic segments. ALS has a strong pipeline of future acquisitions and new products that will continue to drive the rapid expansion and development of the group. It’s very much an exciting time to be joining the business.
The business is led by CEO Tom Lavery, formerly Managing Director and Chairman of Johnson & Johnson Medical UK & Ireland and Kenny Burns, CFO.
Job Title: Financial Accountant
Reports to: David Kerr, Group Financial Controller
Location: Glasgow (Hybrid & Flexible Pattern) with Occasional UK Travel
As ALS continues its growth, acquiring more labs across the UK, they have identified the need to appoint a Financial Accountant to grow the finance function and support the business in the next phase of its growth journey.
The primary responsibility of this role is to closely support the group Financial Controller in providing robust and timely financial reporting and MI, as well as having a key involvement in the annual group budget and statutory audit. There will also be a focus on process improvements and ensuring that appropriate controls and reconciliations are in place.
In keeping with the expanding profile of the group - the ability to question, challenge and flex with change are also vital. As a result of joining the company at such an exciting stage in its journey, the expectation is that the role will evolve with time as the company does.
Key Priorities of the Role Include:
- High level review of monthly management accounts across multiple sites
- Monthly consolidation of group accounts
- Key role in annual group statutory accounts and audit process in conjunction with group auditors
- Consolidation of annual group budget
- Quarterly group VAT returns (including partial exemption)
- Assist with annual R&D tax process in conjunction with tax advisors
- Completion and earn out accounts for acquisitions
- Quarterly bank covenant compliance
- Weekly & Monthly group MI
- Support the Group Financial Controller where required more widely
Ideally, for this position we are looking for a qualified accountant with post-qualification experience in a group setting. First time movers from Practice will be considered provided they have the commercial acumen, strength of personality and ambition to succeed in this post.
Essential Experience & Knowledge:
- Qualified Accountant (ACCA, CIMA, ICAS)
- Experience of working in a group environment is desirable
- Experience of a high-volume environment advantageous
- Sage 50/200 experience beneficial
Key Attributes and Behaviours:
- Pragmatic and approachable in nature
- Has the ability to form strong working relationships remotely across multiple sites
- Flexibility to plan and prioritise a diverse workload
- Attention to detail
- A desire to challenge and improve processes
An attractive package is on offer commensurate with background and experience required for the role.
For more information on remuneration please contact Harry Young at Rutherford Cross.
- First stage interviews will be conducted by retained consultant, Harry Young of Rutherford Cross. Selected professionals will then be presented to ALS for consideration
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview with David Kerr, Group Financial Controller. Those selected for final interview will meet again with David and Kenny Burns, CFO
- All third-party applications, enquiries and direct approaches to the company will be referred to Rutherford Cross