Rutherford Cross is delighted to be retained by First Milk to recruit a Financial Accountant to be based in their head office in Glasgow.
First Milk is a wholly owned British farmer dairy co-operative. The business produces award-winning cheddar, regional cheeses and dairy ingredients, and fresh milk. First Milk work with many customers as their long-term supply partner, helping them to deliver their objectives through responsible sourcing and supply chain management services.
Following significant change in recent times, the business was able to report another year of solid progress, for the year ending March 2019. First Milk is committed to maintaining strong customer relationships based on long term value creation. The vision is to create value for members by delivering long-term dairy prosperity in the form of success, profitability, security and well-being.
The most recent financial results show the business has continued to strengthen; turnover increased by 7.8% to £272.3m driven by volume growth with existing and new fresh milk customers and volume growth with their export partner.
Operating profit was £7.2m, higher than the previous year (£6.6m) was in line with expectations, as the strategic objective is to maximise returns for the co-operative’s members, primarily through milk price. Capital investment continued at sites with £4.4m spent on various projects to increase capacity and improve efficiency.
A Financial Accountant role has become available to bolster the senior finance function, support the Financial Controller for ensuring the whole suite of financial group reports are produced accurately and in a timely manner, allowing informed business decisions to be made.
This represents an excellent opportunity for a motivated finance professional who wants to work in a growth backed environment and within a company that can provide a firm career platform with good opportunities for personal and professional development.
The Financial Accountant will be responsible for the following key deliverables:
• Month End Group Accounts are delivered accurately and by the required deadline. Ensure reports are fit for purpose, are meaningful and address the reporting needs of the exec team as well as the Board and other stakeholders
• Responsible for group overhead reporting, lead monthly review meeting with budget holders and support them prepare their annual budgets
• Key contact for external advisors including auditors, tax advisors, etc.
• Responsible for signing off all company payments on a weekly basis
• Prepare the annual statutory accounts to completion and co-ordinate the annual audit
• Ensure all balance sheet accounts and key profit and loss accounts are reconciled monthly, mitigating any financial risks to the business by rectifying any anomalies found
• Review the monthly VAT reconciliation and investigate any anomalies, driving process improvements to ensure reconciliation is accurate
• Proactively seek to maintain and improve all financial controls, ensuring processes are fully documented, frequently reviewed and updated and communicated as appropriate
Ad Hoc Tasks
• Undertake any other duties relevant to the key tasks and responsibilities identified by the Financial Controller
• Deputise for the Financial Controller when required
• Work closely with finance colleagues in support of joined up financial solutions for the company
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
Proven track record in leading and motivating teams within and across functions
• Experience of developing outstanding relationships across the businesses
• Experience in presenting at senior management level
• A proven relationship builder with the ability to increase co-operation across departments and sites
Degree qualified with a strong academic track record
Professionally qualified accountant (CA, ACCA) with PQE consummate with a role at this level of responsibility
• Knowledgeable on current accounting standards and any proposed changes that are applicable to the business
• Ability to prioritise and adapt to workload
• Strong analytical, organisational and decision-making skills
• Excellent communication and problem-solving skills with an ability to influence key members of senior management
• Ability to assess and drive business improvement projects
• Excellent IT skills, with a proven track record in optimising finance systems
For further information and to review a full position profile please contact the retained partner John Ramsay