This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Finance Manager to join the Financial Accounting Services Team (FAST) with a leading public sector body. The role reports to the Head of Finance and focuses on delivering efficient and effective transaction services.
FAST is responsible for the delivery of accurate and efficient transactional processing. The purpose of this role is to effectively manage the Treasury & Banking, Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable functions, ensuring compliance with technical accounting requirements.
The organisation is going through an exciting period of change which will see you support the delivery of the Finance & Procurement business plan. You will be part of a growing team that plays an integral role in managing cash flow, income & expenditure through the accurate and timely allocation of financial transactions.
As the Finance Manager we will trust you to take a proactive role in ensuring appropriate levels of financial control are in place within FAST. Following a detailed training plan, you will become the subject matter expert across the function, providing financial accounting support to your colleagues. You will be able to articulate and provide sound resolutions, where required, to technical queries across the team; whilst managing the day to day business activities within the Treasury & Banking, Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable functions.
You will take ownership of the month end close process, ensuring transactions are reviewed and posted with accuracy and in a timely manner. Key responsibilities include monitoring of cash flow/cash management, completion, review & reporting of bank and balance sheet reconciliations, process controls and compliance, approving & posting journals and approving payments.
You will be a designated point of contact for team members who require advice on financial matters and will work with colleagues to support ongoing system and process developments. You will learn the various accounting system modules and utilise your expertise to provide assurance on financial data recorded.
As the Finance Manager you will contribute to delivering projects using the most suitable systems, tools and processes at your disposal. Your financial proficiency and extensive transactional experience will facilitate the delivery of solutions that align with Finance operational objectives and policies within the scope of regulatory, legislative and audit constraints.
You will contribute greatly to the preparation and production of the annual report & accounts, which are at the heart of financial accounting.
- Bank and General Ledger Reconciliations – completion and approval
- Analysis and reporting of bank & balance sheet reconciliations
- Monitoring FAST team performance & ensuring compliance with processes & controls
- Finance champion and Subject Matter Expert across the function
- Ownership of the monthly KPI packs for Treasury & Banking, Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable
- Treasury management and monitoring of cash flow
- System & process controls and development
- Utilisation of strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with colleagues, suppliers, customers, internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure transactions are recognised and recorded in line with public sector accounting standards
- Ensuring accurate and timely income and expenditure allocation through journals, invoice payment processing, receipts and financial adjustments using Oracle R12
- Planning and organising workload – managing and prioritising your own and team workload to ensure optimal delivery of overall team objectives
- Work closely with other members of Finance management to deliver FAST objectives
- Assist the Senior Finance Manager as required, including month end activities, annual audit & accounts and any other emergent priorities
- Various payment approvals including BACS, CHAPS, Faster, internal transfers, cheques
- Journals – posting and approval
- Part qualified, qualified accountant or qualified by experience
- Previous experience of a Finance environment whilst using financial accounting software/systems
- The ability to maintain excellent stakeholder relations; utilisation of strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with colleagues, suppliers, customers and other parties to ensure income and expenditure is recognised and recorded in line with accounting standards
- Demonstrable ability to plan, prioritise and monitor your own and team workloads; be able to work confidently with financial data whilst monitoring outputs against agreed plans
- Demonstrable experience of managing a Finance function e.g. Accounts Receivable/Treasury & Banking/Accounts Payable, with the ability to provide clear and concise direction
- Demonstrate ability/skills/experience to support acting as the Finance team Champion and Subject Matter Expert for the Financial Accounting function
- An analytical approach with excellent attention to detail coupled with the ability to work independently and deliver outputs in a timely manner without the need for supervision
- Practical knowledge and understanding of double entry and sub ledger accounting, preferably using financial accounting software
- Understanding of transactional processes that support the wider organisation and its financial accounting requirements
- Experience of managing a cross functioning Finance team
- Demonstrable experience of reconciling bank and general ledger accounts