For 150 years, the Dobbies name has stood for quality horticulture. During this time Dobbies have been proud to provide the very best products and expert advice to gardeners throughout the UK. Today Dobbies is the UK's largest Garden Centre retailer with stores across Scotland, England and Northern Ireland. Naturally, Dobbies have one of the biggest and best ranges of quality plants and gardening equipment around. Dobbies currently have 74 stores across the UK, 69 of which are the well-known garden centre format encompassing our plants and gardening, home and food ranges, restaurants, and in some locations, soft play areas. Dobbies also have a number of concessions partner stores in most locations that complement the brand. Dobbies other five stores are little dobbies, which is a concept launched in 2019 with the opening of a smaller format store in Stockbridge, Edinburgh with others following in Bristol and London. This format store offers a miniature garden centre and gifting range in city centre locations.
Gardening remains one of the most resilient and fastest growing segments within the broader UK Retail sector. As a private equity backed business, Dobbies have doubled their garden centre estate in the last three years and have plans to sustain this going forward through both organic growth and further acquisitions. With over 3,900 employees, this is an exciting and vibrant place to work.
Dobbies Garden Centres are seeking to recruit a Finance Manager. This is an excellent opportunity to deliver the monthly management accounts. You'll provide reporting to support decision making across the business.
- Financial reporting and control
- Preparation of month end reporting for management and Board
- Monthly review of balance sheet reconciliations
- Preparation, monitoring and reporting of key business and financial controls within the business and input to annual budget process
- Managing audit requests during the audit process and acting as a contact for the auditors
- Providing support to the wider financial reporting and control team
- Management of the team, developing them to think proactively about continuous improvement of the month end reporting process
- Supporting the professional development of the team through mentoring
- Monthly review of reconciliations undertaken by the team, providing feedback on improvements where required
- Coordinating the team to ensure all national statistics reporting is undertaken on a timely and accurate basis
- Partnering with the FP&A and Business Partnering team to provide financial support and ensure accounting considerations are addressed appropriately
- Drive efficiencies through development of D365 system and reporting
- Development of robust financial reporting formats and processes, to maximise system generation and minimise manual overlay
- Work closely with the FP&A team to ensure consistency in reporting. Ensure that commercial position is consistent with management accounts and that impact of technical accounting is reflected in commercial reporting
- Ad hoc reporting and project work as required by the business
- Provide oversight to team, managing day-to-day issues and concerns, coaching and developing all team members, driving performance and deliver of the company goals through inhouse tools and ensuring all managed within company policy, procedures and processes
- Takes the lead in creating a great place to work for everyone; creates a positive and engaged team through recognition, fun and inspiring others to achieve
- An effective coach with the ability to provide direct, honest and constructive feedback
- Experience with mentoring/managing a team
- Excellent organisational skills with strong attention to detail
- Strong planning, prioritisation, presentation and problem-solving skills. You'll need to be comfortable managing multiple tasks with tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills – you will be building relationships with colleagues and stakeholders across the business
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Highly numerate
- Thirst for knowing a business and its drivers
- Articulate and driven to gain additional knowledge
- Interest in data and models
- Attractive package commensurate with background and experience required for the role.
What to do Next
- To find out more on remuneration, the role or to see a full Position Profile, please contact their retained advisor, William Dodds at Rutherford Cross by emailing [email protected]
Please note that any direct or third party approaches will be sent to Rutherford Cross for review and assessment.