Livingston James is retained to appoint a Director of Finance & Company Secretary for a long standing and highly reputable family owned property company, headquartered in Glasgow. The company has an extensive portfolio across the UK, focused on industrial and convenience retail, which has seen significant growth in rental income, portfolio valuation and net worth over the last 20 years.
With the present incumbent retiring later this year, there is a requirement to identify a new senior finance professional to ensure robust financial stewardship, support commercial decision making and manage a number of key external relationships. With a close knit yet informal office and leadership team, cultural fit, integrity and positive approach to a wide range of responsibilities are all paramount to ensuring success.
Key priorities of the role include:
- Contribute to the development and delivery of the portfolio strategy and supporting the business’ short/medium/long term plans.
- Ensure the business’ vision, mission, values and reputation are consistently presented with a strong positive image to relevant stakeholders, both internally and externally.
- Continue and augment the financial strategies in place to ensure the continued financial stability and long-term viability of the company.
- Ensure the effective management of key financial standards and governance areas, including contracts, partnerships and investments, business cases and tax. Additionally, owning the relationship with funders.
- Be a trusted, proactive and highly competent senior finance professional who will continue to support, direct and protect the business well into the future.
- Continue the ethos of Stronger, Better, Bigger for years to come.
- Establish a high level of credibility and manage strong working relationships with external parties including tenants, suppliers, funders and advisors.
- Play a key part in the sustainability and expansion of the business through sound financial stewardship.
- Lead and own the finance strategy to help optimise the company's financial performance and commercial position.
- Contribute fully to the development of company strategy across all areas of the business, challenging assumptions and decision-making as appropriate and providing financial analysis and guidance on all activities, plans, targets and business drivers.
- Take overall control of the company's accounting, administrative and governance functions.
- Ongoing development of regular reporting including the preparation and presentation of financial information, value-added commentary and analysis to help the Executive team and Board improve business performance.
- Ensure all reporting, risk management frameworks and financial processes/procedures are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth.
- Ensure budgeting processes are carried out, regularly reviewed and reported to Board.
- Take ultimate responsibility for the company cash management policies and performance.
- Form opinion and evaluate impact of technical matters/disclosure and recommend appropriate policies to Board.
- Plan, oversee and review the preparation of regular consolidated accounts for Board reporting.
- Management of corporation tax, property tax, payroll and VAT etc. in conjunction with external advisors.
- Oversee treasury function including management of funds across entities including group borrowings.
- Ensure and monitor all Insurances are up to date and appropriate (e.g. Company insurance, Death in Service scheme, Health scheme etc.)
- Company Secretarial duties – AGMs / Share transfers / Articles of Association etc.
The position requires a professionally qualified, commercially minded, high-calibre accountant who possesses a proactive approach to financial management and a genuine desire to drive sustainable growth. The role requires exceptional stakeholder management skills and a thorough understanding of operating in a leveraged environment.
To have a confidential discussion about this opportunity and review the full position profile, please contact Sophie Randles or Mark Lewis at Livingston James on [email protected] or [email protected]