Rutherford Cross is delighted to be working with a blue-chip energy business to appoint a Derivatives Accountant. This is a really exciting career opportunity for a recently qualified, Big 4 trained accountant, to join a business offering excellent development and progression.
The Derivatives Accountant will be responsible for the provision of accurate, timely and robust financial results for Commodity Derivatives and associated foreign exchange trades.
The post holder will ensure the provision of accurate, timely and robust analysis of information to enable the manager to make appropriate operational, commercial and strategic decisions – delivering pre-emptive, high quality analysis explaining the key performance drivers and giving reasons for fluctuations in performance.
Duties will include:
- Support the manager in providing technical accounting advice and opinions to the business on new or unusual and often leading edge, transactions and contracts and identify and develop creative strategies to mitigate P&L volatility
- Plan, prepare and complete the month end actual and forecast processes for management information on commodity activities
- Plan, prepare and complete the subsidiary statutory accounting process for commodity activities
- Be capable of explaining to external audit the business' assessment of accounting treatment for commodity and hedge relationships to ensure that they satisfy external audit requirements
- Pro-actively keep up to date with ongoing developments in financial accounting under IFRS, interpreting these developments and review and articulate the potential implications
- Make a significant contribution to the design and implementation of the hedge accounting and reporting systems, challenging proposals and presenting alternatives
- Identify and communicate opportunities to improve business processes and activities
- Develop relationships with key staff across the wider Control team and the operational and commercial area so that the business activities are understood and accurately reflected in the accounts
Skills & Requirements:
The business is keen to appoint a CA with great analytical mindset; strong technical accounting knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards; strong financial modelling skills.
You will need to demonstrate as a minimum:
- Qualified CA
- Strong academic track record
- High level of commercial awareness
- Confidence, ability and presence to constructively challenge at all levels
- Salary circa £38,000-£44,000
- Bonus up to 10%
- 36 days annual leave (plus additional day for volunteering)
- Stakeholder pension scheme
- Life assurance / death in service
- Plus many other benefits