Rutherford Cross is delighted to be retained by Brewdog to recruit a Cost Accounant in Ellon due to an internal promotion. The Cost Accountant is a key role in the Brewery finance team. This role reports to the CFO and has two key focuses: to provide detailed financial analysis of BrewDog PLC manufacturing and logistics operations; and to help build accurate standard costing models. As such, the individual will possess a strong technical cost accounting background must come well-armed with real world implementable solutions, as well as a thorough knowledge of manufacturing and operations finance.
Launched in 2007 by two local entrepreneurs, James Watt and Martin Dickie, their simple mission was and continues to be about making other people as passionate about great craft beer as they are. Core to the mission was producing beer of genuine flavour and craftsmanship without the industrial techniques of many modern brewers.
In 2013, BrewDog moved from its original facility in Fraserburgh and to its new world class HQ; a 5.5-acre state of the art eco-brewery in Ellon, just north of Aberdeen. This is one of the most technologically advanced and environmentally friendly breweries in the world and has allowed the business was able to improve every element of production. In 2018, BrewDog was listed in the Sunday Times Fast Track 100 for a record seventh consecutive year. No other company has achieved this, and it is testament to their continued incredible growth both in the UK and internationally. BrewDog currently employ 1,500 people globally, increased our revenue by 55% in 2018, and sell beer in over 60 countries. They operate 59 bars in the UK, and 11 overseas. Private equity firm, TSG Consumer Partners acquired a 22% stake in the company for approximately £213 million which has helped the business grow internationally with the announcement of a $30million production brewery and tap room in Brisbane, Australia announced in February 2018. The new site in Australia will complement the organisations first BrewDog Hotel and brewery in Ohio, US. The business has also recently announced in the last couple of weeks the plan to convert a brewery in Berlin, Germany to secure a firm footing in Europe.
The Cost Accountant will be responsible for the following:
- Working with procurement, logistics and manufacturing to appraise, improve, design and build accurate standard costing & overhead recovery models
- Responsibility for completing and submitting monthly Beer Duty returns for both the Ellon site and our bonded warehouse in Motherwell
- Working with the new product development (NPD) team to ensure the impact on costs of any new products or product changes are fully understood, including working up estimated costs based on brewhouse recipes
- Maintaining the stock item information database within Master Data to ensure item master data and bill of materials are kept up to date and costed correctly
- Providing in depth analysis of production, stock and other operational variances, and providing solutions to minimize cost were possible.
- Aid in the production of monthly management accounts and month-end close
- Calculation and submission of annual packaging waste liability
- Manage Budget process for Cost of Goods, CAPEX and Distribution/Warehousing costs
- Ensure effective financial controls around Porterage arrangements
- Working with the warehouse team to monitor and report on stock count accuracy and write off costs
- Aid in the development of systems, controls and processes, ensuring a robust environment as the business continues to grow
- Supporting the production/supply chain management team by providing financial analysis to enable informed decision making on anything involving costs or efficiency
- Ensuring accurate tracking and costing of any R&D activity to ensure the accuracy of the annual tax credits claim
- Supporting the Head of Financial Control in the provision of accurate and insightful management reporting and board packs for the Executive team
- Ownership of the investment appraisal process – making sure we understand the financial returns of all capital projects within BrewDog PLC group, and perform detailed reporting on actual spend, latest forecast and any variances to budget
- Assisting with year-end audit queries around COGs, Stock and Duty
- Ad-hoc project work as and when required
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Proven track record in leading and motivating teams within and across functions
- Proven track record in a FMCG/manufacturing focused finance role with close working relationships across the businesses
- Experience gained in an organisation or environment with a high degree of complexity and pace is essential
- A background in businesses going through rapid growth is desirable
- Degree qualified with a strong academic track record
- Professionally qualified accountant (CA, ACCA, ACMA) with PQE consummate with a role at this level of responsibility
- Ability to prioritise and adapt to workload
- Highly developed cost accounting and operational finance skills
- Commercial awareness
- Credible, with the ability to influence decision making
- Self-starting and able to build strong relationships across the business
- Not afraid to challenge current practices
- Excellent communication skills - both verbal and written
- Knowledge of current finance best practice and ability to keep abreast of external developments
- Knowledge of ERP, data warehousing and business intelligence systems
- Knowledge of HMRC Excise regulations
Competitive package on offer which will be discussed directly with Rutherford Cross the retained Advisors.
Please note all third party CV's will be forwarded to Rutherford Cross to be included in the process.