Hero Brands is a highly successful, family-owned multifaceted business, responding to emerging consumer trends and building fast-casual brands of the future. With a network of experienced multi-unit franchise operators, they can move at pace and quickly launch brands to a global consumer audience. All of their brands have been chosen and developed to offer quality and innovation to a diverse and discerning global audience.
Headquartered in East Kilbride, the Food & Beverage division currently operates across 4 main brands with the portfolio set to expand over the next 12 to 18 months. The most well-known brand is German Doner Kebab which has taken Europe and the Middle East by storm with restaurants thriving in the UK, Europe, Middle East with rapid expansion targeted across numerous new territories including the recent openings in North America. The UK trading operation is owned and managed by United Brands Ltd, the master franchise holder for GDK in the UK and has seen significant growth over the past 2 years with a further 78 locations set to open this year.
German Doner Kebab is a fast-casual restaurant brand that is changing the world’s perception of the traditional kebab. Positioned within the broad sector of Mediterranean style of food, one of the fastest growing sectors in the restaurant industry, GDK has raised the bar, offering a focused menu that brings quality, consistency, reliability and high standards that have not been present before.
Choppaluna – Offering a packed menu, full of fulfilling and tasty salad options, our expansive range goes a long way to ensuring your breakfast, lunch or dinner is everything you wanted… and more.
Island Poké – Healthy grab and go Poké bowl concept offering fresh Pacific flavours. Our bowls are customisable and can be delivered in 1 minute or less, meaning they’re perfect for travel customers wanting flavour-packed, nutritious food.
Sides by Sidemen – a collaboration between Hero Brands and Sidemen – Europe’s biggest YouTube collective. Fried Chicken with seven unique Sauces.
XIX Vodka – Our founders live and breathe the XIX Vodka mantra that when you win, your friends win with you. The Sidemen officially started on October 19th, 2013 and after reaching the top of YouTube, they finally have a vodka to match.
XIX Vodka is made from premium wheat, distilled multiple times until optimal purity, and then slowly filtered to deliver an unparalleled taste and finish. XIX Vodka is so clean that it tastes just as smooth straight, on ice, or with your favourite mixer.
The Food & Beverage Division of Hero Brands has significant ambitions for growth across its portfolio, of which German Donner Kebab is the most mature of the businesses across the group. In order to develop its other brands, the business has identified the need to appoint a Commercial Finance Leader to provide analysis and modelling to support growth and potential investment.
This is the first dedicated commercial finance resource for these brands and presents a real opportunity for someone to shape the role and build influence around the business. There is also the potential for a team to be created in future that would report to this individual.
The Commercial Finance Leader post will have 2 key areas of focus, firstly forecasting and strategic analysis and secondly modelling and analysis to evaluate investment or divestment opportunities.
The post-holder will coordinate and deliver planning and strategy processes, helping to monitor performance against these and drive accountability across the Hero Brands portfolio (with the exception of GDK). The successful individual must be intellectually curious and detail-oriented, with a desire to continually improve financial and operational analysis to help inform and drive better decision-making. The post-holder will be responsible for the day-to-day delivery of forecasting and budgeting, including timetable management, helping to prepare and present analysis to executive management, and collaborating with Executive Management to ensure appropriate targets are set and monitored. The Commercial Finance Leader will prepare, develop and assess ad-hoc financial and non-financial analysis to inform and drive decision-making.
The brands are at the introductory stage of their life cycle and in order to realise their potential growth, the business is considering funding options. There has already been some interest from a number of credible parties in investing in certain brands and the Commercial Finance Leader will be involved in evaluating the viability of these opportunities.
Reports to: Finance Director
Location: East Kilbride, Scotland
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyse both financial and non-financial information, identifying patterns, trends and opportunities for business growth or cost reduction
- Liaise with stakeholders to provide meaningful analysis for business decisions
- Work on and provide ad hoc analysis and support to finance / M&A projects, as and when required
- Produce detailed analysis to help assess the financial risk of any and all business operations, investments and innovations
- Manage and deliver the yearly budgeting processes covering timing, communications and reporting
- Prepare & review of reforecasting of the business
- Monitor actuals against budget / reforecast to help identify trends, opportunities and risks within the business, to help inform future forecasts and to challenge and drive accountability within individual brands
- Evaluate opportunities for international development as they arise
- Continual focus on improving financial and operational analysis to help inform and drive decision-making
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a commercially focused, growing business with ambitious plans for the future. This role will suit a highly motivated senior finance professional, someone who is a self-starter, driven by the growth and the challenge that this role presents. The successful candidate will be someone who commands respect and can operate effectively across all levels of the business. They will also be able to influence at all levels both internally and externally, acting as a key contact for the banks, auditors and other advisors.
The role comes with a high degree of autonomy and will require a confident multitasker, who can marry a high level of intelligence with grounded common sense, offering both support and challenge in equal measures. Given the exposure of the position, it is essential that the individual has the ability to build effective and robust working relationships across a number of brands.
The key candidate requirements for the position include:
- Qualified Accountant (CA, ACCA or CIMA)
- Strong analytical skills – ability to research, compile, analyse and interpret large data sets efficiently to provide insightful, accurate analysis of complex financial data
- Strong financial modelling skills, including advanced Excel skills
- As the role is dynamic, a can-do attitude, strong organisational skills, as well as the ability to work to deadlines / prioritise workload to deliver high-quality work are essential
- Excellent communication skills, confidence to get out into the business to articulate financial matters to a non-financial audience and build effective working relationships across brands
- Ability to take the initiative and drive continual improvement of processes, practices and analysis
- Strong presentation skills, able to use PowerPoint or similar products to develop high-quality reports appropriate to a range of audiences
- Experience of problem-solving and implementing process improvements, particularly in relation to internal reporting (e.g., efficient design of Excel reports)
- Experience of M&A is beneficial
- Commercial curiosity and acumen – involved in understanding, analysing and questioning commercial areas and new strategic opportunities across the group
- High levels of Integrity: the post-holder will have access to sensitive information (e.g., market forecasts), hence they must be trustworthy and honest, with an understanding of business sensitivities and confidentiality
- Diligent and detail-orientated – you will be preparing analysis on which business decisions are based so attention to detail is key
- Pragmatic and solutions-driven, with the ability to combine being ‘in the detail’ with stepping back to see the ‘bigger picture’
Remuneration & Recruitment Process
An attractive financial package is available to the successful individual and will be commensurate with the background and experience required for the role.
For more information on remuneration, please contact Jonathan Donnelly at Rutherford Cross.
- First stage interviews will be conducted by the retained consultant, Jonathan Donnelly of Rutherford Cross
- The second stage will involve meeting the Finance Director and HR Manager
- The Final Stage will involve meeting the Finance Director
- All third-party applications, enquiries and direct approaches to Hero Brands will be referred to Rutherford Cross