Rutherford Cross is delighted to be retained by Brewdog to recruit a newly created Brewing Financial Controller role to be based at HQ in Ellon. The role has become available to bolster the senior UK Brewing finance function, lead the planning & budgeting process and improve group wide systems. The Brewing Financial Controller will lead the core UK Brewing team and report directly into the Head of Financial Control. This will be a high-profile focused role with extensive reporting and operational interaction. The individual will also be involved in group wide projects will need to be able to work in a high paced, international and private equity led environment.
Launched in 2007 by two local entrepreneurs, James Watt and Martin Dickie, their simple mission was and continues to be about making other people as passionate about great craft beer as they are. Core to the mission was producing beer of genuine flavour and craftsmanship without the industrial techniques of many modern brewers.
In 2013, BrewDog moved from its original facility in Fraserburgh and to its new world class HQ; a 5.5-acre state of the art eco-brewery in Ellon, just north of Aberdeen. This is one of the most technologically advanced and environmentally friendly breweries in the world and has allowed the business was able to improve every element of production. In 2018, BrewDog was listed in the Sunday Times Fast Track 100 for a record seventh consecutive year. No other company has achieved this, and it is testament to their continued incredible growth both in the UK and internationally. BrewDog currently employ 1,500 people globally, increased our revenue by 55% in 2018, and sell beer in over 60 countries. They operate 59 bars in the UK, and 11 overseas. Private equity firm, TSG Consumer Partners acquired a 22% stake in the company for approximately £213 million which has helped the business grow internationally with the announcement of a $30million production brewery and tap room in Brisbane, Australia announced in February 2018. The new site in Australia will complement the organisations first BrewDog Hotel and brewery in Ohio, US. The business has also recently announced in the last couple of weeks the plan to convert a brewery in Berlin, Germany to secure a firm footing in Europe.
The Brewing Financial Controller will be responsible for the following key deliverables:
- All aspects of UK Brewing statutory reporting, ensuring adherence to relevant accounting standards and deadlines.
- Form opinion and evaluate impact of technical matters/disclosure and recommend appropriate policies to senior management/audit committee
- Key contact for external advisors including auditors, tax advisors, etc.
Risk & Control
- Ensure a robust financial control environment
- Design internal controls to mitigate financial risk and ensure they are fit for purpose and operate as in intended
- Maintain all records, registers and books of accounts
- Ensure all filing requirements are met
- Manage corporate governance compliance register and coordinate reporting inputs from across the business
Own Projects and Strategic Initiatives
- Provide technical leadership and direction to the businesses, partnering with the senior management team on an ongoing basis
- Support Head of Financial Control in financial review and interrogation of capital expenditure and other proposals
- Supporting Head of Financial Control in delivery of Group strategic initiatives
- Develop a high performing team, ensuring clear lines of responsibility
- Actively manage personal development for self and team
- Manage team to meet business objectives
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Proven track record in leading and motivating teams within and across functions
- Experience of developing outstanding relationships across the businesses
- A background in organisations or environments with a high degree of complexity, ideally involving listed requirements
- Experience in presenting at Board level
- A proven relationship builder with the ability to increase co-operation across departments and sites
- Degree qualified with a strong academic track record
- Professionally qualified accountant (CA, ACCA, ACMA) with PQE consummate with a role at this level of responsibility
- Knowledgeable on current accounting standards and any proposed changes that are applicable to the business
- Ability to prioritise and adapt to workload
- Strong analytical, organisational and decision-making skills
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills with an ability to influence key members of senior management
- Ability to assess and drive business improvement projects
Competitive package on offer which will be discussed directly with Rutherford Cross the retained Advisors.
Please note all third party CV's will be forwarded to Rutherford Cross to be included in the process.