Bell Group is the UK’s largest commercial painting and decorating contractor with branches nationwide. Bell Group is family owned and was founded in April 1984 by Chairman and Founder George Bell.
Since 1984 the business has grown substantially through acquisition and organically across the UK, branching out of Airdrie, Scotland where it was originally founded and where the head office is currently based. The business now has 31 strategic branches across the UK (including Northern Ireland following the acquisition of a flooring business in July). The Group recorded an annual turnover of £109m in its latest published accounts (year ending March 2020). It is now on track to report turnover of over £150m in the coming year.
Bell Group provides 7 key services: Painting and Decorating, External Upgrades and Maintenance, Fire Upgrade, Specialist Coatings, Interior Refurbishment, Reactive Maintenance and Industrial Painting. The vision of growth for the organisation is to provide a more rounded offering to its clients and build off the strong reputation of the current business offering.
The Group’s main objective is to provide an optimum quality of workmanship in all aspects of the services that they offer; maintaining these high standards has ensured year on year repeat business from the likes of BT, Barratt Homes, Scotrail, National Trust, Engie, The Royal Household together with various NHS Trusts, local authorities and housing associations.
As an organisation, the business prides itself on more than just its finished product. It is considered one of the largest employers of apprentices within the construction industry. On top of this, it has its own internal training business.
The business is in the midst of a period of sustained growth, increasing revenue both organically and through acquisitions, with the ambitious goal of doubling turnover from £100m in 2020 to £200m by 2025 very much on track. The company has recently implemented a new ERP system which will help develop processes and controls fitting of a £200m turnover business.
Bell Group represents a fantastic opportunity to join a Scottish Headquartered business with exciting expansion plans. The business is led by true industry experts and has a forward-thinking approach and distinctive culture.
To learn more about Bell Group please visit them online at https://www.bellgroup.co.uk.
Job Title: Management Accountant
Reports to: Group Accountant
Location: Airdrie (Hybrid - Office / Home Based)
As the business continues to scale, it has identified the need to create a Management Accountant position within the Finance team. This role will support and report to the Group Accountant and will lead a team of 3 transactional staff in the head office in Airdrie. This role is part of a finance function that now sits at 19 people.
This position represents an excellent career opportunity for an ambitious, newly qualified accountant. The duties in the first year, partly covering the maternity leave of a Finance Assistant, will give the postholder a great understanding of how the business operates, which will act as a platform for them to take on greater responsibility in the coming years. As the company continues to grow, the post-holder will have an exceptional opportunity to establish themselves as a senior member of the finance team, provided this individual delivers a high standard of work, demonstrating drive and ambition. There is scope to take on greater responsibility, which would be rewarded in title and remuneration.
One of the key projects that the group has undertaken recently is an ERP implementation. Bell Group has implemented Business Central (formerly Microsoft Navision) to help the company transition to a data led business, helping improve the quality of management information available to stakeholders. Ideally, the person who comes into this role will further build on this by taking an active role in maximising the quality of information available and improving financial reporting across the group.
The business has a very positive culture and many members of the team, including the Group Accountant and Finance Director, have been with the business for 15+ years. Staff turnover is low with Bell Group having a strong reputation for both developing and supporting staff across the business. The Group has a large apprenticeship programme and training academies across a number of colleges.
The Management Accountant position requires a professionally qualified accountant who possesses excellent organisational, interpersonal, and technical skills. Given the ERP implementation and the growth of the business, we need someone committed to continuous improvement who wants to help drive efficiencies and improve performance.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Newly Qualified Accountant (CA/CIMA/ACCA)
- Experience of accounting systems (Business Central experience desirable but not essential)
- Advanced Excel skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to deliver accurate and timely results
- Deadline focussed and willing to put in the effort to ensure these are met
- Confidence and strong interpersonal skills, especially when interfacing with senior management and internal/external stakeholders
- Energy, drive, tenacity, professionalism and commitment
- Ability to work well in a team, but also capable of taking ownership for the delivery of specific tasks
The main duties and responsibilities will involve:
Cash Flow Management (35%)
- Bank payment set-up, approvals, postings to ledger
- Weekly preparation of quarterly cash flow projections
- Supporting when required the Finance Assistant who is responsible for cash allocation and bank reconciliations
- Expenses review and processing (transitioning this to our new Head of Payroll & Benefits once they are in place)
Assisting Group Accountant with Month End Tasks (25%)
- Journal postings, accounts preparation and Balance Sheet reconciliations
- 1 large trading entity, 4 smaller entities (one recently purchased in Northern Ireland)
- Currently, quarterly consolidated accounts are produced – aid the transition to monthly group accounts being prepared in advance of the monthly board meeting
Debtor Management (25%)
- Management of credit control team of 3
- Work with regional managers, commercial and branch teams to ensure debts are proactively chased and collected
- Improve analysis and reporting on debtors, bringing visibility of issues to senior management’s attention. Work with Data Team to develop dashboards re. debtor performance / cash collection
- Support Branches with the new ERP system, bringing additional analysis/business insights
- Support Head of Finance as the Group achieves its goal of doubling in size with projects such as bringing other group companies onto the ERP and exploring new modules, compliance and process improvements
- Support Group Accountant with Annual Audit, Accounts Prep, P11D’s
Basic Salary: £38,000 - £43,000, depending on experience
Company Pension: 5% employee / 4% employer contribution
Holiday Entitlement: 23 days plus 8 stats (rising by 2 additional days after 5 years’ service)
Bonus Scheme: Discretionary based on profit, anticipated bonus 5-15% of annual salary
The Recruitment Process
- First round interviews are with our retained advisors at Rutherford Cross
- Second & Final Stages will be with the Group Accountant & Financial Controller. One of these stages will be remote via Teams and one will be face to face at Bell Group’s HQ in Airdrie
- Applications should be sent to Harry Young: [email protected] If you would like to discuss the role with him in further detail, you can call him directly on 07494 280 500