Rutherford Cross is excited to partner Scottish Cycling in appointing a Head of Business Operations. This is an excellent opportunity for a qualified accountant looking to move into the world of sport. The post-holder will use their financial skills to benefit the organisation whilst broadening their exposure into company secretarial duties, corporate governance and leading projects. The role is well suited to an accountant with first-class relationship building skills, who enjoys taking on a variety of tasks, influencing the wider organisation rather than purely finance.
From the playground to the podium and everything in between, Scottish Cycling is the national governing body of sport for cycling.
Its mission is to inspire and support everyone to enjoy riding a bike and have the opportunity to realise their full potential. And as the largest cycling membership organisation in Scotland, its is the voice of our sport, representing the aspirations of its community.
Scottish Cycling's strategy, Developing a Nation of Cyclists, details its mission, vision and values and outlines how it will deliver activities across four strategic themes of Lead, Grow, Support and Partner.
The home base and the performance hub for the sport is the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, built for the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. Working across six different disciplines of cycling, it is committed to
developing a nation of cyclists, maximising participation for all and delivering international success.
The Head of Business Operations is a core post focusing on financial sustainability, organisational efficiency and continuous improvement. The continued growth of the organisation requires strong financial, governance and support functions. The organisation must ensure its own compliance as the National Governing Body for cycle sport in Scotland but also lead and support its membership to the very highest standards are upheld whilst being transparent and accountable.
The post-holder will support the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Board and be responsible within the Senior Leadership Team for managing the business operation functions across Scottish Cycling, ensuring that it is financially sustainable, legally compliant and have the necessary policies, systems and procedures for the organisation to grow and be efficient and effective.
The duties involved are varied and interesting providing a great breadth of exposure.
- Oversee the finances of the organisation including budgeting in support of the Strategy and Business Plan, review and challenge of management reporting, oversight of annual financial report and lead the interface on all financial matters with Sportscotland, British Cycling, Scottish Cycling Board and Finance & Governance Committee as well as other stakeholders and external
- Lead Scottish Cycling’s financial and resource planning and annual budgeting process, including regular budget reviews to ensure expenditure within budget and provide assurance to the Finance and Governance Committee and Board that the budget is regularly monitored against activities. Implement and maintain reliable and effective financial systems, including forecasting, cash flow, liquidity and reporting that provides effective and timely information to assist the organisation in achieving its
Business Operations (HR, IT, Data Protection, Commercial and Safeguarding)
- Responsible for Scottish Cycling’s day to day Business Operations function, providing strong leadership and management, performance management, setting goals and ensuring the team are supported and have a clear understanding of their
- Identify and deliver improvements to policies, systems and procedures across the business to enable efficient and effective management of the organisation and ensure these are embedded and applied to maximum
- Ensure robust systems for capturing and analysing key data and metrics crucial to the delivery of strategic and business plans are in When required provide reports and presentation of key data trends to help inform strategic decisions.
- Ensure legal compliance within all Scottish Cycling policies and ensure that these are implemented consistently across the organisation.
- Lead on relationships with external consultants, suppliers and service contracts ensuring these provide best value. Current services include HR, Legal, Finance, ICT, Communications and Child Welfare/Safeguarding but may be reviewed or extended to meet the needs of the
- Lead on the identification and procurement of appropriate insurance arrangements for Scottish Cycling and manage risk effectively across the organisational through the annual production and review of a Risk
- Assume responsibility as the Data Protection Officer for Scottish Cycling, including responding to all Subject Access Requests and liaising with the Information Commissionaires Office, as
- Lead the organisation’s response to complaints and investigate complaints, where appropriate to do
- Working in partnership with the CEO and the Board, lead on the development, implementation and delivery of the Scottish Cycling Strategy and Annual Business Plan to identify and achieve core strategic outcomes.
- Responsible for developing performance management reporting against the Scottish Cycling Strategy and Annual Business Plan, working in partnership with the Senior Leadership Team to ensure documentation and reports are produced on time and to a high standard for the CEO, Board and
- Champion good governance in all aspects of the organisation, specifically ensuring compliance with risk management, financial and legal This will include, but is not exclusive to, commercial agreements, leases, contracts, insurance, health and safety, and employment legislation.
- Provide advice, guidance and written statements to the Senior Leadership Team, CEO, Board and Board Committees in relation to the Head of Business Operations portfolio.
- Provide support to the CEO and Chair in the administration and governance of the Board and Board
- Undertake the responsibilities associated with the position of Company Secretary for Scottish Cycling, as determined by the Board.
- Undertake reviews of any and all agreements between Scottish Cycling and other organisations or individuals to ensure they meet the needs of Scottish Cycling for the duration of the
- Where required, deputise for the CEO and act as a spokesperson for Scottish
Integration with British Cycling
- Support the CEO, Senior Leadership Team and Board to build upon and continuously improve the partnership arrangements with British Cycling, including the Collaboration Agreement, Legal Agreement and Commercial
- Support the negotiation of financial and service arrangements and the creation of robust documentation to ensure effective delivery, integration and alignment, where appropriate
- Attend the relevant strategic working groups as defined within the Collaboration Agreement and of any other working groups or forums from time to time.
Diversity & Inclusion
- Foster a diverse and inclusive service culture within the organisation and provide strong leadership that upholds and enables our organisational values to be lived.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding and commitment to the principles of equality, diversity, inclusion and safeguarding across all levels of the sport.
- Guide the organisation to help create an ethos that puts diversity and inclusion at its centre and removes
- Preparing and building relationships among colleagues, partner organisations and stakeholders through diversity and
- Agree a programme of professional development with the CEO in order to deliver business priorities and keep practices current.
- Ensure those members of the team reporting to the postholder have an agreed programme of professional development in order to deliver business priorities and keep their practices
- Opportunity to build a career in sports sector
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme, employer contribution 5%
- Post pandemic, blend of home and office based working