Rutherford Cross is delighted to be retained by Malcolm Group in Glasgow to recruit a Divisional Finance Manager for their Construction Services division to be based out of their Scotstoun depot in Glagow.
Originating as a family-owned business in the 1920’s, The Malcolm Group has become one of the leading providers of Logistics, Construction and Maintenance services in the UK. The group has an overall turnover of over £220m.
A Divisional Finance Manager has become available in the construction services area of the group. Malcolm Construction provides comprehensive civil engineering and groundworks services, it accounts for over £90m turnover. The Construction services has 8 operating units, including recycling, landfill and contracting. The Divisional Finance Manager reports directly into the MD with a dotted line into Group Finance. This will be a pivotal, hands on role within the Construction Services sector of the business.
An opportunity has arisen for a qualified accountant to join the business in the role of Divisional Finance Manager. The role is based at the Malcolm Group Construction office in Scotstoun, Glasgow. The role reports directly into the Group Financial Controller and a dotted line into the 4 Directors within Construction.
With a small divisional team, the role is hands on with regular, direct interaction with the board members and other operational leads.
The organisation represents an excellent opportunity for a motivated qualified accountant who wants to work in a large family owned business. In addition, the business will provide a firm career platform with good opportunity for personal and professional development as well as the mandate to shape and define how the role evolves.
The Divisional Finance Manager will take responsibility for the implementation of KPI reporting and will support Construction Services Divisional Managing Directors and the senior management team in developing business plans along with leading the development of the system. The role also leads the Construction Services Division Admin Team.
The main duties and responsibilities will involve:
- Control costs and effectively manage budgets
- Ensure compliance with all regulations and company policies & processes
- Support Group Finance team in developing a coherent and effective financial strategy for Construction Service Division.
- Responsible for developing and controlling Construction Services Division financial management, reporting and planning within Group guidelines
- Report on/challenge performance against business KPI’s
- Support Construction Services Division Managing Directors and senior team in day to day operational and longer term strategic management of the business
- Manage and develop Construction Services Division admin team
- Ensure all aspects tax compliance (specifically VAT, CIS, CITB levy, PAYE and NIC within the Construction Services Division)
- Provide financial analysis/expertise to senior team to support effective decision making
- Regularly and actively monitor and challenge the Construction Services Division financial and operating performance vs target
- Ensure any targeted cost efficiencies are delivered
- Manage Construction Services Division overhead costs
- Manage Construction Services Division cash-flow and working capital
The position incorporates wide range of responsibilities requiring a confident individual with strong financial planning and analysis background. It is likely that the individual will be CA/ACCA/CIMA qualified and, ideally, have prior construction experience.
It is critical that the Divisional Finance Manager can work closely with senior management, while consistently meeting the needs of key stakeholders both within and external to the business. In particular, it is crucial they can take responsibility for decision making and possess sufficient gravitas to challenge current thinking and drive positive change. Undoubtedly, this is a key appointment for Malcolm Group and the successful individual will play a key role in shaping the organisation over time.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Educated to Degree level or equivalent
- Qualified accountant with appropriate post-qualification experience
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills combined with business acumen, pragmatism and a good sense of diplomacy
- Proven ability to build relationships at all levels
- Highly developed oral, written and presentation skills
- Motivated self-starter with a flexible working attitude
- A strong team player, with a desire to make a significant contribution to the Finance Department
- Excellent IT skills including MS office and a good working knowledge of accounting systems
Flexible approach to working hours in line with the needs of the business.