Rutherford Cross launches search for two Airport Accounting Managers. These role will report to the Head of Accounting and Reporting of AGS Airports Limited and will be based at Glasgow Airport.
The Airport Accounting Manager will ensure that the income and expenditure, including purchase to pay, order to cash, capital, intercompany and all other airport financial transactions are accounted for in the accounting records of the airport in accordance with the IFRS accounting rules, Group policies and procedures so that monthly management accounts and annual statutory accounts can then be prepared in an accurate and timely manner. The role will report to the Head of Accounting & Reporting.
The purpose of this role is to organise the Financial Accounting and Transactional Finance Team to ensure all ACTUAL historical financial information is accounted for and reported on accurately and within strict deadlines. There are two Airport Accounting Manager vacancies. One will be responsible for Glasgow Airport, the largest of the three in the portfolio and the other will take responsibility for both Aberdeen and Southampton Airports.
The roles are important contributors to the AGS Group Finance function and trusted to produce accurate a timely management and statutory accounts and the supplementary reporting. Candidates will require a clear understanding of the business strategy, competitive pressures and the necessary financial arrangements required to achieve its goals.
Key stakeholder relationships will include:
- Head of Accounting & Reporting
- Financial Controller
- Chief Financial Officer
- Head of Treasury & Tax
- Head of Business Planning & Analysis
- Board & Audit Committee
- Finance Department
- Business Unit Managers
An overview of the required skills, experience and behaviours are as follows:
- Strong relationship building skills
- Excellent technical accounting skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across all business functions
- Detailed analytical skills
- Strong financial acumen
- Ability to problem solve
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for accounting and reporting for the airports within the AGS Group
- Ensure that, each month, all financial transactions for the airports are accounted for accurately
- Review all income transactions for the month and ensure that they are correct, posting any required journals
- Review the airline rebate, marketing provisions and retail income provisions and post the necessary journals ensuring the accuracy of the supporting information
- Prepare and book the payroll and payroll taxes journals monthly whilst reviewing the accuracy of the supporting information
- Prepare and book the Taxi journals monthly whilst reviewing the accuracy and reconciling the related balance sheet accounts
- Prepare and post accurate prepayments and accruals journals monthly so that the monthly and year to date financial results are accurate
- Prepare and post all other journal entries that are required to ensure the financial results are accurate
- Review all the capital, depreciation, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash, intercompany and other transactions to ensure they are accurate and complete
- Liaise with budget holder’s pre- month end to ensure that any accruals required are actioned and that financial results are accurate
- Compare the monthly results to the budget and or forecast to identify and double check any significant variances
- Ensure that Financial housekeeping (GRNI and IOH) is kept up to date
- Close the month end in line with the timetable
- Prepare the monthly management accounts and supporting schedules
- Coordinate the preparation of the monthly balance sheet reconciliations each month and ensure that they are reviewed and approved by the Head of Accounting and Reporting and or the Financial Controller
- Complete all required legal financial returns for the company, i.e., Office of National Statistics etc.
- Provide the monthly VAT return information to the Tax Manager
- Provide any other tax information to the Tax Manager as required
- Complete the annual statutory accounts and liaise with the auditors as required
- Support the annual budgeting and regular forecasting processes with information as required
- Support the risk assessment system as required
- Support the continuous improvement processes as required
- Support the business and financial and planning analysts in providing historical financial information when required or to show the requestor where, in the system, the information can be found
- Support the Tax and Treasury team in providing accurate financial information where required
- Support Airfield Operations/Terminal with Winter Operation costs
- Ensure all key financial controls are operating as required and work with the Risk and Controls Manager to ensure all the controls that are in existence are required and redundant controls are retired
- Supervising and appraising staff as required
- Continually challenge current thinking and make recommendations on how to optimise business opportunities and minimise risk/cost to the business
- To attend and chair the monthly Revenue Project Board meeting and attend MRGG meeting as and when required
- Any additional ad hoc duties as required
AGS Airports Limited is looking to appoint driven and experienced Accounting Managers to support the company in navigating through a period of significant change. The aviation industry has faced unprecedented challenges since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. The enforced restrictions have resulted in fundamental operational changes. The roll out of the vaccine throughout 2021 and the gradual lifting of restrictions should indicate the resurgence of demand for travel and as such the 5-year plan is to return to pre COVID-19 financial results. The Airports Accounting Managers will play important roles in supporting their respective airports on this journey. The opportunity is suitable for either an accountant working in industry or an individual looking to make their first move from a Top 10 CA firm into industry.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Qualified accountant ideally a CA
- Previous experience of either producing accurate management accounts and statutory accounts for a large-scale organization or auditing the accounts of large scale organisations
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to effectively problem solve and follow through to resolution
- Significant accounting skills to be able to produce company management and statutory accounts and other group accounting tasks in accordance with IFRS and Group Accounting Policies
- Have proven experience of dealing successfully with Auditors
- Have proven experience of accounting in a company which has done through a significant change programme
- Have experience being part of a strong effective finance team which has been successful in delivering strong financial controls efficiently and effectively throughout an organisation
- Have experience of working in groups with multiple locations
- Have had some experience of working with Boards, Audit Committees and with strong shareholder teams.
- Have had experience in the preparation of budgets and forecasts and supporting model building.
- Commercially astute with a proven record in leading successful businesses.
- Ability to build strong, open, and communicative working relationships across all areas of the business is essential.
- High level of working knowledge of MS Office applications, Excel in particular,
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral
- Experience of effectively communicating to and interacting with colleagues at all levels, including senior managers
- Ability to effectively organise work and perform well under pressure with minimal supervision
- Experience in working and delivering to tight timetables
The position will offer a competitive salary up to £55,000 depending on experience, a generous pension scheme with employer contributions up to 12%, bonus up to 15%, as well as duty free shopping and free parking at all times.
To discuss in confidence, please contact retained advisor, Jonathan Donnelly on 07494 280 461 or send your CV to jonathandonnelly@rutherford cross.com.