Our client is a FTSE 100 global engineering business headquartered in Glasgow. The company’s global footprint spans more than 70 countries and employs more than 14,000 people. With an auspicious history in Glasgow industry the company has in recent year’s undergone significant growth and restructuring both operationally and in terms of its geographical footprint.
The company has reported continuing strong revenue and profit growth in recent years. In 2012, the Group reported profits before tax of £443m (£187m in 2009) against revenue of over £2.5bn (£1.4bn in 2009). These are highly impressive results, especially during an extended period of general economic uncertainty and at a time when the Scotland has seen a marked reduction in the number of listed companies. Certainly, the business represents a true global success story headquartered in Scotland.
The Glasgow city centre headquarters comprises some 60 professionals including the Board of Directors, Group Heads of Tax, Treasury, Internal Audit, Company Secretary/legal team and the Group Finance team.
The Internal Audit function is a value add, globally mobile part of the group structure with a presence in Europe, US, South Africa, and India. The team has 3 members in Head office – Head of Internal Audit, Senior Group Internal Auditor and Group Internal Auditor. In addition, there are local Internal Auditors based in India, US and Africa.
The overriding focus within this role will be the assessment and improvement of the risk and controls framework affecting all of the companies within a PLC group structure; being a diverse global business this will require significant international travel exposing the role holder to a wealth of different cultures, operating units and senior figures within the business.
The role of Senior Group Internal Auditor has come about due to internal movement and presents an excellent opportunity for a first class, qualified individual to join a highly visible division of an impressive multinational. The company actively promotes career development hence it is expected that individuals operating within Group Internal Audit will be given the opportunity to progress into other areas of the business within 24-36 months.
The role is to support the provision of Assurance to the Audit Committee, to the Group Executive and to business unit and functional management concerning: the identification, assessment and ownership of business risks; and, the development and operation of effective processes and controls to manage those risks to an acceptable level.
- Support the Head of Internal Audit in the development of the Group Internal Audit function assuming responsibility and accountability for key elements of audit strategy implementation
- Proactive planning of audit reviews to maximise value and ensuring there is appropriate risk-based focus
- Assessment of key risks, and the controls in place to mitigate those risks, within the companies under review
- Developing audit processes and work programmes
- Providing coaching and training to junior audit team members, including auditors based overseas
- Reviewing business processes within operating companies and recommending efficiency improvements
- Preparation of reports detailing business risks, commenting on the efficiency and effectiveness of financial and commercial controls; and making practical recommendations to address the gaps and weaknesses identified
- Leading or participating in close-out meeting discussions with senior management in the operating companies
- Reviewing progress of companies towards completion of open action points from internal audits
- Advising companies on control issues as and when required
- Reviewing post capital expenditure appraisal assessments prepared by the operating companies and preparing summary reports for the Group Executive and Board
- Supporting the Head of Internal Audit to undertake ad hoc projects as and when required, including the investigation of whistle-blowing allegations
This role would be ideally suited to a high energy, qualified Chartered Accountant with 3-4 years’ post qualifying experience who has trained with a large national accounting firm background. Prior experience of internal audit is essential and a background of working with large manufacturing/engineering clients would be a distinct advantage, as would exposure to internal controls/ERP systems.
The ability/desire to travel internationally is essential to this role. However, it should be noted that this is a very supportive employer and typically travel is planned many month in advance.
- Graduate, qualified accountant (3-4 years post qualifying experience)
- Experience of planning and undertaking internal audits
- Awareness of best practice approaches to risk management and internal controls
- Strong IT skills (ERP system experience an advantage)
- Ideally previous manufacturing experience (from audit or industry) but not essential
- Additional languages to English (especially Spanish, French or Chinese) would be highly regarded
- Willing and able to travel globally (around 50-60%)
Key Personal Attributes:
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Motivated self-starter, flexible working attitude
- First class interpersonal and communication skills
In addition to a generous salary of £50,000 - £55,000 per annum, the company also a number of other benefits including a bonus up to 30% of salary, double match pension, private healthcare and 25 days holidays plus 9 statutory.
What To Do Next
To apply or for a confidential discussion, please contact our retained advisor Mark Lewis at Rutherford Cross. Please note that any direct or third party applications will be passed to Rutherford Cross for review and assessment.