Due to rapid business expansion, our client is seeking to recruit an Internal Audit Manager to create and develop an Internal Audit function. Reporting to the Finance Director, the main focus of this role will be the assessment and improvement of the risk and controls framework across all of the company’s activities. The role will be based in Central Scotland but with a mandate that will involve some travel across all UK sites.
The position incorporates a blend of responsibilities requiring a confident individual with strong technical background in either internal or external audit. It is essential that the individual comes from a large firm/business background where they will have a firm awareness of best practice approaches to risk management and internal controls. It is likely that the individual will be CA/ACA qualified and, ideally, have trained with a Big 4 or large accountancy practice. However, the nature of the role may also lend itself to candidates who are Internal Audit professionals (e.g. IIA qualified) and/or trained in an industry environment.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Educated to Degree level or equivalent
- Qualified accountant or Internal Audit professional with appropriate post-qualification experience
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills combined with business acumen, pragmatism and a good sense of diplomacy
- Proven ability to build relationships at all levels
- Highly developed oral, written and presentation skills
- Motivated self-starter with a flexible working attitude
- A strong team player, with a desire to make a significant contribution to the Risk and Audit department
- Excellent IT skills including MS office and a good working knowledge of accounting systems in a large organisation
- Flexible approach to working hours in line with the needs of the business and happy to travel to other UK locations as required
The position requires interaction with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. Initially the role will be “stand alone” but this will likely grow in line with increasing business requirements. The main duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Define, develop and manage Internal Audit standards and procedures
- Develop and drive the Internal Audit agenda within the wider business to raise the profile of the function
- Establish and manage the planning of the annual Audit Plan
- Undertake internal audit reviews based on the annual Audit Plan, to ensure compliance with policies, procedures, operational instructions and best practice procedures
- Communication of audit findings and recommendations for improvement at the conclusion of audits with relevant business personnel - both written and verbal
- Provide assurance on management controls and make recommendations for improvement
- Works with others to implement plans and projects that improve the internal control environment, and aligned processes to remediate risk to a level which meets the business risk appetite
- Ad hoc financial investigations and financial analysis of business performance
Although this is a permanent role, the business is seeking to start-up the function quickly and, as such, individuals available at short notice will be highly regarded. In addition, the company will consider candidates only interested in this on an interim basis while the permanent recruitment process takes place.
To apply for this role or to have a confidential conversation, please contact our retained advisor Mark Lewis at Rutherford Cross. Please note any direct or 3rd party applications will be sent to Rutherford Cross for assessment.