Rutherford Cross is delighted to be working with a high-profile institution to appoint a Financial Reporting Manager on a permanent basis.
The key deliverables in this role are:
- Ensure the accuracy of the financial accounting for the organisation and its subsidiaries
- Act as the technical expert within the Group on all financial accounting matters, sharing knowledge and training with others across the Group where required.
- Continuously improve processes and procedures to support the efficient and effective operations within a strong internal control environment
- To provide high quality professional and specialist support across the Group through analysis and issue resolution
- To support and develop enhanced liaison between the subsidiaries, ensuring accurate, timely, relevant and reliable information allowing delivery of a customer service focus
- Lead and line manage a team of 2 to deliver on all financial accounting matters
Preparation of the Annual financial statements
- Prepare the annual financial statements. This is the key document that is published externally by the Finance department and the compliance and accuracy of the financial statements is key to the funding available on an ongoing basis.
- Prepare the consolidation schedule and the subsidiary accounts
- Responsible for liaising with actuaries to ensure correct pension accounting adjustments and disclosures are included in the financial statements.
- Manage, monitor and maintain all necessary schedules to support the figures contained within the financial statements to satisfy accuracy and fulfil external audit requirements.
- Apply specialist and technical expertise to ensure that the financial statements are accurate and reflect correctly the reality of how the organisation has performed over the prior year.
- Liaise with the audit team to ensure progress is maintained in a timely manner and follow up with colleagues as required to close off any outstanding points.
Preparation of US GAAP Financial Statements
- Use professional expertise to ensure an up to date understanding of US GAAP requirements and consequently the adjustments required. Have the technical knowledge to identify when changes are required to the adjustments.
- Complete the conversion of the Financial Statements to US GAAP.
- Liaise with external audit to ensure all supporting schedules are provided to satisfy their requirements.
Preparation of External Returns
- Responsible for the preparation of the following returns within the timeframes required;
- Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR)
- National Statistics
Manage month end for Financial Accounting
- Responsible for ensuring balance sheet reconciliations are prepared and reviewed on time by the appropriate individuals.
- Hold meetings to challenge adjustments by subsidiary finance teams.
- Prepare minutes / actions and follow up when required.
- Prepare monthly balance sheet commentary for review by the Deputy Director of Finance
Responsible for the Fixed Asset module
- Reconcile the general ledger to the FA register on a monthly basis.
- Capitalise equipment / new capital projects which have been completed in month.
- Development plan with planned capital expenditure of c.£530m this is an area where increased controls and scrutiny will be key.
- Run depreciation monthly for Utilities Supply Company Ltd.
- Review open orders on equipment under construction.
- Prepare annual depreciation forecast for budget setting purposes
Lead and manage the Financial Reporting team members
Lead, motivate and develop the Financial Reporting team members. In doing so promote a continuous improvement approach, ensuring that the team applies appropriate professional standards and demonstrates a culture of ownership and accountability to ensure the delivery of excellent services.
- Professionally qualified Chartered Accountant
- Strong technical accounting knowledge
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Ability to prioritise workload to deliver to tight deadlines and manage competing demands from various stakeholders
- Ability to identify control weaknesses and recommend and implement solutions to resolve these areas
- Ability to apply intellectual rigour and analytical insight to support qualitative decision – making
- Highly effective oral and written communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to challenge assumptions and practices with diplomacy
- An ability to demystify complex financial concepts for non-financial colleagues
- Resilient and able to effectively deal with ambiguity and able to maintain momentum in the face of obstacles/setbacks
- Advanced skills in the use of Microsoft packages such as Excel, Word, Visio, Powerpoint; and accounting software packages
- Strong attention to detail
- Team working skills
Exceptional Pension Scheme
41 days holiday entitlement